LegacyGT.com

WON a set of 4 Blizzaks...

went to the ATD (American Tire Distributers) open house as a rep for my dealership last night. Door prize raffle had a few items.

I won a set of 4 Blizzak tires of my choice

what should I choose?

nice. Not sure what you are asking. The Bridgestone Blizzak tire is a studless snow tire series. The best I believe are the WS80.

IIRC the WS is for outright snow ability, LM for a performance winter.

I ran the WS-70 and they were unstoppable in snow, now I run the Dunlop 4D, which is more of a performance winter. They are closer to all seasons, in terms of feel, and keep good snow handling characteristics in all but the deepest accumulation. They're awesome in mush or slush. I haven't run the LM's but I'd assume they would be just as good, if not better than my Dunlops.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

We've run WS70 on dedicated steel rims in 215/45 R-17 format for 2 winters now, going into third. For a proper winter tire, they seem to perform well and the wear rate is not too bad. They are (naturally) a little bit noisier than an all season on dry roads.

For winter, it is a good idea to go a little narrower, and sometimes taller to compensate, if you can. Unless you are driving the ice rink's Zamboni, you want a smaller footprint than on a summer tire!

I think this will be the last winter for this set.

really liking the 225/50/17 bit taller than my current 225/45/17 snow

I had Dunlop 3D's and they were awesome, last season I picked up General Altimax and enjoyed them for the 1k of winter I had them on.

the WS is most certainly a more hefty tire, then the LM2 which is a performance winter. my new commute after I move will be about 28 miles each way, combined with subi awd I think the LM2 will be more than capable and more highway friendly for the non inclement part of winter.

I don't know what to do

LM's for sure for your commute and such. Performance AND traction. Had both over the years, LM for this type of driving for sure. Your spot on with the bump to 50 series for your winter set up...

I have started to look at WS80 in 225/45/17 or 225/50/17

and LM2 same sizes

cant decide

Get the WS80 if you need very good ice traction. If you rarely encounter ice, get a LM series tire. It will give you better (compared to WS80) wet/dry traction, and better resistance to hydroplaning and slushplaning, and longer tread life. The WS80 will probably be a little bit better in snow, but not enough to really matter on an AWD vehicle.

For downstate NY, I'd get the LM. You'll appreciate the sportier performance in the 95+% of time you're driving on bare roads.

Ditto

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived