LegacyGT.com

Welcome To Nerdville - X1conroe Build - "tS"

Installed some new EBC rotors and and EBC Green stuff brakes this weekend.

The black coating on the rotors is already gone from bedding them in. I've also ordered a new intake manifold that will fit the JDM alternator cover.

Woah, you're going to swap your intake manifold so you can install an alternator cover? Seems like a lot of work! This is a "Build" thread though as you put it, so build away!

And what made you decide to go with the drilled rotors?

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The rotors look dimpled not drilled at least to my eye.

Good eye, that's what I get for browsing on my phone!

They are drilled, just not all the way through :hide:

X1conroe, when you installed the rotors, did you check how the vanes were set up? I've seen slots go both ways (on my rotors the slots are angled opposite to yours), but vanes are usually directional and side-specific. IE, it's the internal rotor that matters, not the slots.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Woah, you're going to swap your intake manifold so you can install an alternator cover? Seems like a lot of work! This is a "Build" thread though as you put it, so build away!

And what made you decide to go with the drilled rotors?

Yes the things we do just for aesthetics :D. drilled and slotted mainly for bling and "performance".

Good eye, that's what I get for browsing on my phone!

They are drilled, just not all the way through :hide:

X1conroe, when you installed the rotors, did you check how the vanes were set up? I've seen slots go both ways (on my rotors the slots are angled opposite to yours), but vanes are usually directional and side-specific. IE, it's the internal rotor that matters, not the slots.

Not sure what you mean, but I installed them correctly. The rotors had left and right stickers on them.

I have a corazon engine cover which looks awesome in my opinion and you don't have to buy a new manifold just for a cover. Just an idea

I am adding the tS alternator cover, and I wanted it to be a nice fit. The manifold was only $90. There's a pic of it in this thread a page or so back.

Not sure what you mean, but I installed them correctly. The rotors had left and right stickers on them.

If they had L/R designations and you followed them, you should be good to go.

Some vented rotors have internal vanes that are directional. So when you drive forward at 60MPH, the rotors are cooling themselves, almost like a fan. The slots on the surface of the disc sometimes lean one way, and sometimes the other, but the internal vanes (if directional) must be set up properly.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Fairly certain I've seen one or two with hks coils

S2 has a set I believe. But my question to x1 is why spend $2k on coilovers for a DD? Sure if you just wanna be baller and go show car status. But why not save money and go with koni's and springs or anything cheaper so you have extra money to spend elsewhere. There's plenty of great suspension options for our cars @ $1k or less and the HKS setup isn't going to perform any better than any of them. If I were to baller and spend $2k+ on suspension for a DD car it would be on air ride not coilovers but that's just me.

S2 has a set I believe. But my question to x1 is why spend $2k on coilovers for a DD? Sure if you just wanna be baller and go show car status. But why not save money and go with koni's and springs or anything cheaper so you have extra money to spend elsewhere. There's plenty of great suspension options for our cars @ $1k or less and the HKS setup isn't going to perform any better than any of them. If I were to baller and spend $2k+ on suspension for a DD car it would be on air ride not coilovers but that's just me.

Do what makes you happy.

You had me up until air ride.

OP has said a few times that it's just for looks, not performance. Hence keeping the OEM tires.

If you get on a test track, and two 5th gens come out, both driven by identical Stigs. One Legacy has stock tires on upgraded wheels, upgraded suspension, and upgraded brakes. The other car is bone stock, except for an upgraded set of tires.

Which one wins the performance test? Which one looks cooler parked?

It all comes down to this:

Do what makes you happy.
LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Do what makes you happy.

Oh I agree 100% fellas. I was just thinking why spend extra money on parts that aren't really seen nor any better performance wise vs other decent coilovers. Plus if your going STI themed the school bus yellow koni setup, most are running, would be the ticket IMO. As for air ride I would never do that to my LGT. But if I were to go for any kind of show car it would probably be on an accuair system for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
That is A LOT of money for an exhaust system, but I'll be damned if it isn't gonna be beautiful.

Yep, I really like the sound of it. I paid the premium price for sure. It's definitely something not a lot of 5th gen owners have as well.

Archived