LegacyGT.com

Nexus 7 Tablet Install for Dummies (Guide)

This is where I'm stuck at it won't load the zip files in 526fd7cd7880f5625d347ed4075b79f7.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Try re-downloading the zip file... it seems like it might be corrupt. I'd say you could send the file to me to check, but IIRC Timur put this kernel behind a paywall so you may not be too keen on sending it to me.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The directions and everything you need are in that reddit post. You want to use the factory image he specifies (no newer or older, exactly the one he calls out) and then just follow the directions closely.

TO anyone doing this, this is the most important thing. Timurs rom will not install correctly without it.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

For the ODB2 cable, I see Tactrix and VAG-COM being used. Are there issues with the VAG-COM FTDI drivers?

Civilization has brought Evolution to a screeching halt

2007 Legacy GT auto

1989 Turbo Trans AM

1987 Buick Grand National

1983 DeLorean (Buick turbo transplant)

Has anyone connected an android to the GROM-USB via usb? Looks like it should be possible to play audio over the USB connection and allow controlling the android device via steering and HU controls.

Working on gathering parts for my nexus install, posted here, if anyone wants to give any suggestions.

Has anyone connected an android to the GROM-USB via usb? Looks like it should be possible to play audio over the USB connection and allow controlling the android device via steering and HU controls.

Working on gathering parts for my nexus install, posted here, if anyone wants to give any suggestions.

If you go to timurs reddit I think a few have.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

Thanks for that tip. Unfortunately its not looking good. https://www.reddit.com/r/timurskernel/search?q=grom&restrict_sr=on

From what I can gather the GROM is setup as a host (possibly in accessory/dock mode) and therefore won't work when the Nexus is setup up as the host because you can't have two hosts.

Annoyingly, I think the only reason the GROM is setup as a host is to support android devices that aren't setup or able to be a host and therefore the GROM can be the host so their adapter has more compatibility. I don't see any need that it has to be a host for it to work. Therefore if they allowed their module to be a slave it could work. I've emailed them anyhow.

Funny enough it seems like using a 30 pin ipod cable that's been modified and an app you can get pretty close to it functioning the same way as if the android was just plugged directly in. And that will work with the nexus in host mode.

The app

A DIY 30 pin to USB/headphone jack cable

Other then being a little hacky, it looks like it might only support controlling of a single media app, which you can choose but If you use more the one app to play music it might be an issue, which I do.

Would be really nice if we could interact with the HU via the sat bus, which is what GROM is doing over the data bus, then just input the audio into the audio L and R on that connector. Technically possible but beyond my capability.

Edited by nevets27

Email back says it's not possible to use the GROM with a hub, as i suspected. But inquired about if they would make a difference firmware as it seems to be technically possible.

Yeah I know about the joycon. And I know I'm nitpicking but when I know something is either possible or technically possibly then I generally persuse it. I'm also striving for as close to an OEM type of install as possible. With that being said.

The joycon does not allow you to use the controls on the head until to skip tracks. It also removes the ability to use the steering controls with the head unit, it will only control the nexus when its installed. Now that second issue can be solved but you need an additional board from joycon.

If you could get audio, steering wheel controls and head until controls all via USB... Its a nice "plugin" solution and not far off the cost of a DAC + joycon x2. With also the possibility of adding bluetooth to the GROM and still retaining your oem AUX input.

(I'll look up the other joycon board and update this)

Wait, what do you want the steering wheel buttons to do? You want them to control the head unit?

In my case, these are used to open apps (e.g. google maps, btssm, media player...), control media (play/pause, etc...). Which means these buttons only interact with the N7. I also do not use the oem head unit. The DAC goes straight to a pre-amp and then a couple of amplifiers. I still have the oem head unit in place just for show :lol:.

Both the nexus and the head unit. I'm not going to be using that, no external amps etc.

If you look at how the GROM works it allows you to interact with android/the tablet. It does so when you are on the sat input because it kind of emulates a sat connection. When you aren't on the sat input then the steering wheel controls function the same as oem.

Now it only allows basic media controls like skip pause etc. So in that sense it's less powerful.

Technically a DAC plus a joyconCPJexc and a BSCr is pretty close to the same functionality other then the HU has no control over the the nexus for skipping tracks. But with the advantage of more configurable options via the joycon.

With the joycon exc and BSCr you can still retain oem steering wheel controls and control the nexus. At least according to thier site.

Of course this would of no interest for you since you aren't using anything oem.

Technically I guess if the GROM did work with a hub you could actually still use the joycon exc plus the BSCr and get fully control of the steering wheel control yet still retain oem controls. But also have ability to skip tracks with the HU. Of course at great expense.

Like I said I really want to have an integrated system that acts, feels and looks oem. Only reason for desire to skip tracks with HU is so my passenger can skip songs for me, without any additional controllers. Like I said nitpicky...

Its mostly if not completely technically all possible it's just how many devices/modules/boxes I want to use and how much expense it would be. There is a point where spending over a hundred dollars to get a button to work is a but crazy. Though if I had money to burn I would be doing exactly that.

Alternative is be smart enough to build what I want/need but I'm unfortunately just smart enough to be dangerous. Meaning I know all the pieces are there and possible but I could design the circuit to do it.

Edited by nevets27

I see. I never planned to do that since my car did not even come with steering wheel controls in the first place. And the OEM HU that I have does not even support that. Piece of junk that thing :hide:.

Edit: actually I think I spoke too soon. I believe my OEM HU can support steering wheel controls. Still not a great HU anyway.

Edited by xt2005bonbon

Well that piece of junk likely is saving you the headache. Can't miss what you don't have and sounds like you've got a solution that's working well for you.

The 09 oem audio setup seems decent enough for me at least for the foreseeable future thankfully so that's the route I'm sticking with.

What about Bluetooth for control? I have a 2007 HU in my 2005, N7 2013 via USB DAC and iPhone via Bluetooth and the controls for the HU will control the tracks/etc on the iPhone. I have the Aux (CD changer) emulation right now as I have SAT radio as well on my system. If I had steering wheel controls, my understanding is that it would work as well for controlling tracks and such. I like it because with the GROM, I can be listening to music or a movie over the N7 tablet via USB DAC and still have the iPhone on BT overlay nav prompts or phone calls. I think the same idea should apply if I used the N7 2013 over bluetooth...

You are correct if I connect the nexus to the GROM via Bluetooth it would work from my reading also. But I also don't want my weakest link in the audio system to be from the nexus to the HU/GROM. Bluetooth is compressed and effects the quality of the audio. I rather be wired, like most here who use a USB DAC to have better sound quality they're on board DAC on the nexus. I'm no audiophile so I know I shouldn't care but like I said it would the weakest link.

Bluetooth to the GROM for phone calls is nice. But I also have the crazy idea of using the nav input for phone calls. I would like to still use the radio and less so the cd player (I know I just talked about quality and I'm bringing up radio...) and I want phone calls to come through no matter what source I'm on.

Thanks to utc_pyro, it's possible to achieve that. I have a post about it...

Guess I should link my posts here as there are getting way more visibly then my build thread.... Which is where I laid out my "plan"

This skips right to the nexus/audio part, and yes it's long... Sorry

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5755025

Though I'm starting to get to the point of thinking of committing to a single input/source. Problem is I don't know how realistic its going to be for me to steam audio on the nexus or to bring/have music with me. I previously was heavily listening to radio...

Edited by nevets27

You are correct if I connect the nexus to the GROM via Bluetooth it would work from my reading also. But I also don't want my weakest link in the audio system to be from the nexus to the HU/GROM. Bluetooth is compressed and effects the quality of the audio. I rather be wired, like most here who use a USB DAC to have better sound quality they're on board DAC on the nexus. I'm no audiophile so I know I shouldn't care but like I said it would the weakest link.

Bluetooth to the GROM for phone calls is nice. But I also have the crazy idea of using the nav input for phone calls. I would like to still use the radio and less so the cd player (I know I just talked about quality and I'm bringing up radio...) and I want phone calls to come through no matter what source I'm on.

Thanks to utc_pyro, it's possible to achieve that. I have a post about it...

Guess I should link my posts here as there are getting way more visibly then my build thread.... Which is where I laid out my "plan"

This skips right to the nexus/audio part, and yes it's long... Sorry

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5755025

Though I'm starting to get to the point of thinking of committing to a single input/source. Problem is I don't know how realistic its going to be for me to steam audio on the nexus or to bring/have music with me. I previously was heavily listening to radio...

Can't you just use the GROM hooked up through bluetooth for control, but then use a USB DAC as your primary audio output source? I'm sure there's ways to control what audio device Android uses when more than one are connected.

Yeah that's a good suggestion. Two possible problems. One, I have tried the app SoundAbout, which is supposed to be able to route audio to different connection types. I did try it for that purpose. It didn't work how I wanted, through no real fault of the app but it is somewhat limited in its function. This leads me to the second problem.

The way I'm planing to have my hands free phone calls and navigation sound come through the speakers no mater which input/source I'm on. I'm going to use the nav input and nav mute. I'm then going to have a parrot feeding into that for phone calls. But also navigation when I'm on any other input other then which ever input I'm using for audio out of the nexus. To do this anytime the parrot gets audio (either phone call or turn prompts from nav) it will mute the radio with the mute out of the parot via the nav in. So I plan to turn bluetooth on, on the nexus when I want nav audio. I tried soundabout because I would have preferred if all nav (google maps) audio would be routed to bluetooth and all media auto be routed to a USB DAC but I found out that soundabout can't differentiate between the two. That way I wouldn't have to turn the bluetooth on and off. Looks to me for the most part it can only route audio for phone calls, notifications and media. With media being anything other then phone and notifications.

So I can't have bluetooth on when listening to the nexus. Oddly complicated I know.

Pipe dream I guess, of just plugging in the the GROM. It was a nice idea though. I have emailed them back and forth a bit but I doubt its going to go anywhere. From my understanding if they allow the GROM to be a peripheral and not a host, it could then connect to a host, which the nexus is in this case.

At this rate I'll end up with the joyconCPJexd and BSGr. Which will also allow me to use other things to control the nexus, other then the steering wheel. And possibly when I have the HU out I'll see if maybe I could piggyback of the actual buttons on the PCB. Pretty damn expensive though.

This is the idea of what I would like the other way to control the nexus:

Kind of also a pipe dream though.

Edited by nevets27