LegacyGT.com

Fifth Generation- Official Power thread

Bumping this to share my results from XRT tuning so far. Surprised and very pleased with the power I'm putting down already, wasn't honestly expecting this high yet. This is from a 3rd gear pull. Very pleased with how the car feels currently. This is only my v1 revision. The car pushes my neck back off the line, and the pedal is much more responsive, and I feel like I have more available power throughout the gears. Ed also gave me stage 2 transmission tuning, which has tightened up gear response immensely.

Only power mods so far are AEM Dryflow filter and Nameless 5" Axleback.

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=101&t=698&sid=6f2546cf785d2fac5c6db6d7b992eac9

http://i.imgur.com/00l4mzz.png

Edited by Humble Rumble

So, I had a long discussion with Ed from XRT today and he did some explaining of all these graphs and my head simply imploded.

Ed uses two ways to display power graphs. One is reliant on the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) He inputs all sorts of variables and measures power differences this way. The way it was explained to me, one he's been using for years so he continues to use it to show comparison to other vehicles. While one follows the Volumetric Efficiency curve. These work great for showing differences with the same car.

http://i.imgur.com/AuzGP3T.png

You also have differences in gearing.

Then you have the usually inflated dynojet numbers:

http://i.imgur.com/Jp7mDCA.png

Variances like air temp, pressure and humidity all skew measurements as well which makes it all the more difficult. These can be calculated in for more accurate results which works for the most part.

Closest to the real curve that we can get:

http://i.imgur.com/dW1oxSd.png

If you were to stretch it out it'd look pretty similar to what Fredrik and Perscitus posted from their dyno results. Huge torque low, then torque converter lock, magic happens then power comes out. He believes this would be closet to actual power. Maybe slightly lower. Somewhere around 230whp. This is where aftermarket headers help. Increased low end torque to smooth out the dip and relieved back pressure at the top for more HP. Cool stuff.

So many variables that comparing results to other cars is difficult. Neat stuff, none-the-less. I probably just made this way more confusing...hopefully this cleared some things up.

Edited by Timothy.B

Thanks for the info folks but my fundamental problem is that we, as a community, are so relatively small that very little before-and-after single variable testing has been performed. In this case, for instance, I don't think anybody (besides perhaps iq_performance) has been tuned & dyno'd before/after only changing the exhaust manifold.

The iq_performance's post seems to indicate that a stock(presumably tuned) car can gain 37 hp and ~80 ft-lbs by simply changing the header. I wanted to know if that is accurate for an otherwise stock car?

Overall, I wish we had a nice flow chart of stock turbo upgrade paths beyond down/side/J-pipe (mostly, because I'd like to know exactly what to do next). Basically, I really just like fahr_side's brain to be algorithm'd into a nice and tidy flow chart. For instance, would it be more beneficial (dollar/hp) to buy an aftermarket exhaust manifold or TMIC?

The iq_performance's post seems to indicate that a stock(presumably tuned) car can gain 37 hp and ~80 ft-lbs by simply changing the header. I wanted to know if that is accurate for an otherwise stock car?

That's gotta be stock vs tuned with the header. I just can't see the OEM manifold being that much of a restriction...

I am pretty sure a cobb ots tune will also give you similar numbers vs stock.

Sounds about right.

The only reason I can think of to change the OEM manifold is if you go EWG or if you're getting some custom manifold to mount a larger turbo down there...

It's great that a company wants to make new parts for the 5th gen, I just wish they were making a useful part. :lol:

The only reason I can think of to change the OEM manifold is if you go EWG or if you're getting some custom manifold to mount a larger turbo down there...

It's great that a company wants to make new parts for the 5th gen, I just wish they were making a useful part. :lol:

Yup

It happens on a H6 raptor car to a greater extent bc it's freeing so much flow, it's also an 87 to a 93 tune so A lot changes

What happens on an n/a motor doesn't apply here. The turbine and turbine housing are far more restrictive than the header.

Not a chance.

Overall, I wish we had a nice flow chart of stock turbo upgrade paths beyond down/side/J-pipe (mostly, because I'd like to know exactly what to do next). Basically, I really just like fahr_side's brain to be algorithm'd into a nice and tidy flow chart. For instance, would it be more beneficial (dollar/hp) to buy an aftermarket exhaust manifold or TMIC?

Will it hurt? Can I have my brain back afterwards? ;)

That's gotta be stock vs tuned with the header. I just can't see the OEM manifold being that much of a restriction...

This

Thats easy, FMIC...next question please...lol.

Easier than making a hood with a WRX-sized scoop, which is a part I wish someone would make. I asked Varis but they flat-out refused. Not because the market isn't there, but because no one is racing this model. Funny how a maker of ricer body kits cares that much about racing.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Figured I would throw this up here as well for reference.

Stage 2 Vinny Ten Racing Dyno Tune

Invidia Q300 CB

Nameless DP

ETS Headers w/dual EWG

Cobb SF Intake

One Step Colder Spark Plugs

Grimmspeed EBCS

DW300 Fuel Pump

Stock Injectors/Stock Turbo

RacerX TMIC

RacerX Charge Pipe w/Turbosmart bpv

2121139306_VTRDyno.JPG.7c83e02812f440fbd21fa47ad7677fa9.JPG

Edited by jojorios

• 1 year later...

I can share mine. 228.49 whp on a Dynojet.

7i5YNrv.jpg

Power adder mods are:

-XRT Engine & 5EAT Transmission Tune

-Nameless Performance 5" Muffler Axlebacks

-AEM DryFlow Air Filter

-HKS Intake Funnel

This translates to roughly 284 crank hp, roughly 30 hp up from stock. This was also run on 19x8.5 wheels with 245/40/19 tires, so larger diameter and heavier than stock. Because of that, wouldn't be to far of a shout to think that my real power rating is somewhere in the 290-300 crank range.

Better late than never.

2011 Legacy GT

Custom intake

1000cc ID’s

DW Fuel pump

Racer X TMIC

92 octane Pump gas

ETS exhaust manifold with dual external wastegates

AGP z2 5757e https://agpturbo.com/agp-turbo-z2-5757e-billet/

Pacific Import Auto Tuned

362whp/332wtq

My stage 2 tune on the same dyno was 299/364

IMG_0115.jpg.60ede108b050c2f138a13b81008d6e48.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg.f3bffedd5f6bcfdee404d0119dc61729.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg.3d085acf7ca98dbb5d2af7abaa6df965.jpg

IMG_1909.thumb.jpg.9dcf947e7f8387d4716c49aed77534ba.jpgeb277843011b378f580d24c717fa7e62.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Deadrick20

Better late than never.

2011 Legacy GT

Custom intake

1000cc ID’s

DW Fuel pump

Racer X TMIC

92 octane Pump gas

ETS exhaust manifold with dual external wastegates

AGP z2 5757e https://agpturbo.com/agp-turbo-z2-5757e-billet/

Pacific Import Auto Tuned