LegacyGT.com

Noise from Axles?

2009 LGT 5MT. I have recently (through a series of events) replaced:

-both front lower control arms complete with new ball joints and bushings.

-both front axles (one was leaking and the other one accidentally got set on fire by a torch)

-both front wheel bearing assemblies

both front knuckles (because they were so rusted that the ball joint pinch bolt broke off in them even with tons of torching and watering.)

Recently had my car in the shop for A/C recharge and to do an alignment since I replaced every part on my car lol.

All was good for a few weeks but in the last few days I'm hearing little knocks down near my feet and I can feel it a little. Little metal on metal knocks, not engine knocks.

The sound happens:

-Going over (little) bumps

-When I swing the steering wheel back and forth enough to throw the car back and forth a little in the lane, around 30-35 mph. As I throw the car in one direction I can hear what sounds like one hunk of metal hitting another hunk of metal.

Today I crawled under the car and tried to shake things (exhaust, tie rods, sway bar and end links type of stuff). The only thing that I could get to move was my two axles. They had 1mm or less of in-and-out play (I had 1mm of in-and-out play with your mom). However, when I moved them it made what I think is the same sound I have been hearing when I drive.

So, yeah, that ain't right. I cranked that torque wrench to kingdom come for both of those axle nuts and the axles were both new (not remanufactured).

I'm planning on taking it in to my shop to see what they have to say. Thoughts?

-both front axles (one was leaking and the other one accidentally got set on fire by a torch)

both front knuckles (because they were so rusted that the ball joint pinch bolt broke off in them even with tons of torching and watering.)

Recently had my car in the shop for A/C recharge and to do an alignment since I replaced every part on my car lol.

All was good for a few weeks but in the last few days I'm hearing little knocks down near my feet and I can feel it a little. Little metal on metal knocks, not engine knocks.

The sound happens:

-When I swing the steering wheel back and forth enough to throw the car back and forth a little in the lane, around 30-35 mph. As I throw the car in one direction I can hear what sounds like one hunk of metal hitting another hunk of metal.

Today I crawled under the car and tried to shake things (exhaust, tie rods, sway bar and end links type of stuff). The only thing that I could get to move was my two axles. They had 1mm or less of in-and-out play (I had 1mm of in-and-out play with your mom). However, when I moved them it made what I think is the same sound I have been hearing when I drive.

So, yeah, that ain't right. I cranked that torque wrench to kingdom come for both of those axle nuts and the axles were both new (not remanufactured).

What brand axles? If not OEM, that might be the cause. I had spare new, non-oem axles installed while rebooting my oem ones and they rattled/vibrated terribly. When I checked them there was in/out play.

After re-installing my oem axles there was no rattle/vibrations and no in/out play.

The sound happens:

I ran a non oem front axle for a couple years. I never was satisfied with this axle (or your mom)... you started it. I changed back to my oem after replacing the boots.

If the the axle is moving in the hub then there is a problem.

How do you buy "OEM" axles without going to the stealership? Do they just have to be labeled OEM? I know that sounds (and is?) dumb haha. I looked on Rockauto and didn't see any axles labeled OEM.

I'm not yet fully convinced that both axles are that far off from being engineered to fit tightly (I don't want to believe it lol ). I'll keep you posted.

OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer... it's not a parts brand (well, it probably is, considering there are lots of people out there who would probably fall for it).

You can save a few bucks by purchasing them from one of our local vendors, rather than paying full pop at the stealership.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

FWIW, these cars are known for bad end links.

They make a clunk going over cracks in the driveway.

Also reman axles are better than new aftermarket for these cars.

Best option is buy OEM from junkyard and rebuild them.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Some after market axles are the wrong length. I think the second left front made a clicking sound when I started off from a stop. I stopped by my trusted mechanic that installed it. I told him I was getting a noise from the left front, before I could finish, he said, its a clicking sound when you take off from a stop. We have found that some new axles are not the correct length, bring it in, we'll put a reman axle in.

It's been fine since.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

+1 to what Max said. I ran an aftermarket axle in my impreza and it never felt right. Ended up selling the car with it and then found out 6 months later the axle actually broke on the guy. He put in a reman axle and never had any problems. Luckily I haven't had to replace or reboot and axles on my legacy yet.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

I would not describe my noise as a clicking. It almost sounds like a suspension noise, metal on metal. It's not a rotating noise, it happens on bumps.

It's certainly possible that I made a mistake when putting all that stuff together, or maybe the half shafts are really too short. I'm taking the car in later today so I should have an idea of what's wrong in the next couple of days.

Archived