LegacyGT.com

Windshield wiper recall?

Its funny how the automotive companies, Subaru included, only issue recalls when the government makes them do it, directly, or indirectly by way of penalties.

In Canada, Subaru has yet to acknowledge there is even a problem regarding this. There is no recall in Canada - despite the fact that the factors causing the issue are ice and snow build up. So California cars get fixed, and Canadian cars don't.

This is ridiculous.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its funny how the automotive companies, Subaru included, only issue recalls when the government makes them do it, directly, or indirectly by way of penalties.

In Canada, Subaru has yet to acknowledge there is even a problem regarding this. There is no recall in Canada - despite the fact that the factors causing the issue are ice and snow build up. So California cars get fixed, and Canadian cars don't.

This is ridiculous.

It's been in the Transport Canada Recall database for a few weeks now.

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/VRDB-BDRV/search-recherche/detail.aspx?lang=eng&mk=2510&md=LEGACY&fy=2011&ty=2011&ft=&ls=0&sy=0&rn=2016471&cf=SearchResult&pg=0

I am on a list with a not very local dealer to get my airbag replaced, I figured I would have it all checked out in the same time frame. Interestingly, the airbags for my 6 year old car are available, but the ones for my 10 year old one are not until Nov-Dec.

I was told that it was a motor issue and that it could freeze up. He also said I needed to bring it in before winter set in, for what its worth.

I have never received a recall notice via email... I thought it was a scam, so I call one of local dealerships.

I had a bad motor on my 03 wrx so I was a little concerned about this as soon as I saw the email.

Interesting. It's not on the Subaru Canada recall website, and no recall according to the dealer. Weird.

I just looked on the mysubaru page and it shows the recall dates 9/23/16, but I never got anything in the mail, or email either. Any my email address is listed correctly with the site. Strange...

I really don't use my wipers much but will still get this fixed.

I was told that it was a motor issue and that it could freeze up..
the issue is apparently if something gets in the way of the wipers as they go to their "park" position (so where they go when you turn them off) such as packed snow or ice, the wiper will stop, but the motor will continue to try and pull the wipers down, then potentially overheat. So if you live in a place that gets appreciable snow, then it's a good idea to have it addressed before winter.

My car shows up in the database as being included in the recall, but I haven't received a letter yet. If I had to guess, they will send out notices to folks in northern states first, then worry about the southern people later.

Has anyone seen what they actually replace? is it just the little cover over the motor itself (looks like it's held in place on the motor with a few screws) - so they have to pull the wiper arms, then the cowling, then they just swap it out?

can I replace the motor myself?

September 23, 2016

Type: Safety

Service Campaign: WTK71

NHTSA Campaign: 16V694000

2010-2014 Legacy/Outback Windshield Wiper Motor

Description

Subaru of America, Inc. (Subaru) is recalling certain 2010 - 2014 model year Legacy and Outback vehicles to replace the front windshield wiper motor bottom cover. Due to inappropriate manufacturing processes of the front windshield wiper motor bottom cover, interference between the relay joint and the worm wheel may occur. If this interference occurs and there is an obstruction in the cowl area, such as snow or ice, the wiper arms would be forced to “park” at a higher than intended position on the windshield when the windshield wipers are turned off. In such a situation, the wiper arms might continuously attempt to return to the normal park position and may cause overheating in the wiper motor bottom cover.

Safety Risk

If overheating were to occur, the windshield wipers may become inoperable, increasing the possibility of a crash, or a fire may possibly start in the bottom cover area of the wiper motor.

Remedy

The front windshield wiper motor bottom cover will be replaced at no charge to the customer. This recall replaces and updates SOA’s previous WVV-32 windshield wiper motor recall repair applicable to certain 2010-2011 Legacy and Outback models, and additional vehicles are being recalled. Vehicles previously repaired under the WVV-32 recall must also be repaired under this new recall. Subaru will notify owners, and dealers will replace the front windshield wiper bottom motor cover, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Subaru customer service at 1-800-782-2783. Subaru's number for this recall is WTK-71 Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to http://www.safercar.gov.

^^^ Read

^^^ Read

I have read that and I don't see anywhere that says I can repair it myself. If that's the case I won't be able to do it for a while and I DO live in the climate this recall is mostly targeted towards.

I have read that and I don't see anywhere that says I can repair it myself. If that's the case I won't be able to do it for a while and I DO live in the climate this recall is mostly targeted towards.

I think for liability purposes and record keeping, SOA will want the dealer to do the repair. Call your dealer and have them order the part for you, then when it comes in they can call you for an appointment, maybe even a Saturday appointment. Or just take a day off work and get it done, that will leave you with most of the day to do whatever you want. You deserve it.

1 hour drive, 1 hour install time, 1 hour drive home = better than charred unicorn.

My point was that the repair is not replacing the motor. Just the plastic cover. I figured that might change your evaluation of the complexity. That's all.

My point was that the repair is not replacing the motor. Just the plastic cover. I figured that might change your evaluation of the complexity. That's all.

If that's the case is it just thicker plastic or a different type of plastic that is more resistant to melting and catching fire?

Anyone have a pictures of the replacement part? Bonus if you have a before and after or side by side picture.

Didn't see a raw copy/paste of the message I received for this, so here it is:

Subaru Recall Campaign WTK-71

NHTSA Recall No. 16V-694

Front Windshield Wiper Motor

October 2016

Dear Subaru Owner:

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

SUBARU OF AMERICA, INC. has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 2010 - 2014 model year Legacy and Outback vehicles.

You received this notice because our records indicate that you currently own one of these vehicles.

DESCRIPTION OF THE SAFETY RISK

Due to contamination, components within the windshield wiper motor bottom cover may interfere with each other. If an obstruction, such as a buildup of snow or ice prevents the wiper arms from being able to stop in the parked position, the wiper motor may overheat and the bottom cover may melt.

If the windshield wiper motor overheats, the wipers may fail, reducing driver visibility and increasing the risk of a crash. Additionally, the wiper motor cover may melt, increasing the risk of a fire.

WHAT YOU SHOULD DO

You should immediately contact your Subaru retailer (dealer) for an appointment to have the windshield wiper motor bottom cover replaced.

There are several important precautions you should take until this repair has been performed:

Be sure the cowl area where the windshield wipers park, when turned off, is free of any obstructions.

If you notice or smell smoke in the front cowl area of the vehicle, be sure the ignition switch is in the “off” position and do not operate the vehicle. Immediately contact your Subaru retailer for assistance.

As a precautionary measure, it is highly recommended that you not park your vehicle in a garage, car port or other structure until this repair is completed.

REPAIR

To correct this condition, Subaru will replace the windshield wiper motor bottom cover, and if needed, replace the windshield wiper motor, at no cost to you.

HOW LONG WILL THE REPAIR TAKE?

The actual time to replace the windshield wiper motor bottom cover is approximately 30 minutes. However, it may be necessary to leave your vehicle for a longer period of time on the day of your scheduled appointment.

CHANGED YOUR ADDRESS OR SOLD YOUR SUBARU?

If you have moved or sold your vehicle, please update this information online at http://www.subaru.com, select ‘Customer Support,’ then select ‘Address Update’ or ‘Ownership Update’ from the drop down menu.

IF YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY PAID FOR A REPAIR

If you have already paid for repairs associated with this condition, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Reimbursement consideration will be based on the amount an authorized Subaru retailer in your area would charge for the same repair.

Please send the original service repair order, which has the name of the repair facility, date of repair, mileage at the time of repair, complete 17-digit vehicle identification number (VIN), and your name, with correct mailing address and telephone number to the address listed below.

Subaru of America, Inc.

Customer-Retailer Services Department, Attention: WTK-71 Recall

P.O. Box 6000, Cherry Hill, NJ 08034-6000

Please send original receipts only and retain a photocopy for your records. Please be assured that we will attempt to process your reimbursement request as quickly as possible, but it may take up to 60 days for this process to be completed.

IF YOU NEED FURTHER ASSISTANCE: To locate the nearest Subaru retailer, you can access our website at http://www.subaru.com and select ‘Find a Retailer.’

For additional information, please go to: http://www.wtk71.service-campaign.com.

If you need additional assistance, please contact us directly:

By e-mail: http://www.subaru.com, Customer Support and select “Contact Us”

By telephone: 1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)

Monday through Thursday between 7:30 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. ET

Friday between 10:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. ET

Saturday between 9:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. ET

By U.S. Postal mail:

Subaru of America, Inc.

Attn: Customer-Retailer Services Department

P.O. Box 6000

Cherry Hill, NJ 08034-6000

Please contact us immediately if the Subaru retailer fails or is unable to make the necessary repairs free of charge.

You may also contact the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Ave. SE, West Building, Washington, DC 20590 or call the toll free Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153) or go to http://www.safercar.gov if you believe the Subaru retailer has failed or is unable to remedy your vehicle without charge within a reasonable amount of time.

Your continued satisfaction with your Subaru is important to us. Please understand that we have taken this action in the interest of your safety and your vehicle’s proper operation. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this matter may cause and urge you to schedule an appointment as soon as possible to have this repair performed.

Sincerely,

Subaru of America, Inc.

A subsidiary of Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd.

Archived