LegacyGT.com

Official Firearm Thread V3

SBT

NFA. Federal regulations. The thin buttpad makes the overall length too short. My suppressor mount is long enough so once it is pinned and welded the overall length with the thin buttpad will be legal length. So no SBR stamp needed.

NFA. Federal regulations. The thin buttpad makes the overall length too short. My suppressor mount is long enough so once it is pinned and welded the overall length with the thin buttpad will be legal length. So no SBR stamp needed.

I'm sorry, but that seems like a lot of work to change the LOP by 3/4 of an inch.

I have 2 LCPs. Like you, bought one for the woman in my life and she never renewed you CCP. They are great guns for when something larger as the only option would result in you choosing to not carry at all.

What round do you (or you ex if you don't carry it) usually carry in the gun?

Anyways. I got a Ruger LCP on sale recently for my exgirlfriend to carry while jogging. It's a nice, slim, tight package (the gun too ;p )

It's sitting on top of my current pocket gun (Glock 33)

We're not allowed to carry 380s per work policy so I never gave any thought to the little 380s but this thing is nice.

http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx321/chowser51/7E2BE567-81CE-4AB9-A0A6-7753924D6950.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I gave her a box of Winchester Ranger T-series 95gr JHP to carry in the gun. Not sure if it will expand reliably from a short barrel. I'm looking into the various short barrel rounds. I think Speer and Hornady make some variant.

The gun for her is primarily to hit someone and run away if she is accosted and in fear of her life. She's competing with my son on run times so I'm pretty sure she can outrun most people on the street. She's at sub-6 minute mile now. I can't keep up. I'm too old and usually carrying two guns. Granted, she's in a safe neighborhood but she runs at 5am all the time. I live in one of the safest places outside of Cleveland, yet I carry all the time.

My son was getting ready for airborne assault school and got his two mile run down to 13 minutes so my exgf wanted to do better. She actually asked me to run with her this morning when I got home from work. I laughed and said nope. Had enough running at work.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=247345&d=1491601370

Made some progress on some builds.

Still waiting on Vortex PST Gen 2 and Lantac BCG for .308

IMG_20170407_160202.thumb.jpg.081aeb47eb0236d345a391e87be0892b.jpg

Edited by Schrei Wolf

Schrei Wolf, how do you like those CF handguards, in terms of heat? In your .223/5.56, specifically.

The context is that I'm looking at a semi-lightweight build for my daughter in the coming year. I'll be weight-conscious, but I want this gun to be appropriate enough for either of us to use in training classes.

---

Hepy117, my experiences on the Sparc AR do not mirror that of chowser51's. I have a PA MD-ADS on my daughter's 15-22, but I cross-shopped the Sparc AR, and I keep seeing both the Sparc ARs as well as other PA/Holosun dots out there in the wild, on classmates' guns.

That said, my eyesight is pretty poor - I have astigmatism, so all of the projected dots look the same to me: a comma/comet.

My description of what I see of the dots are via cowitnessing through the rear peep aperture (but still "blowing through the dot," target-focus: which means that, for me, I really then no longer notice the imperfections in the projected dot as the peep aperture takes care of visual aberrations caused by my astigmatism...so even when I'm "evaluating the dot," I still try not to look directly at the dot, if that makes any sense?). It's really the only way that I can evaluate the dot itself, so take it for what little it's worth. :redface::)

Edited by TSi+WRX

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

If you have bad astigmatism then you really have 3 choices in sights:

1.) Iron sights. Which are tough and do work well if your corrected vision is good and you can bring the front sight into sharp front sight focus. Downside is they're not as refined or user friendly as an optic.

2.) Holographic sights like the shitty Eotech. Great crisp dot/reticle image. Unfortunately they eat batteries pretty bad and in the case of Eotechs don't hold zero for shit under adverse thermal conditions. Vortex is releasing a new holographic sight to market and it might be worth a look.

3.) Conventional scopes. Probably the best choice from a sight picture quality standpoints if we are talking about a well made scope with good glass. A low power variable like a 1-4 or 1-6 can be very versatile too. I'm currently rocking a Nightforce NXS 1-4X24 with the FC-3G reticle. I like the super forgiving eye box and extremely compact dimensions compared to most other 1-4's (much less a 1-6). The glass is excellent, and the reticle works just fine with no illumination and is tack sharp. Another advantage over the dot sights and holographic sights is that a magnified optic can utilize lens coatings designed to transmit light instead of reflecting it. Thus you have a far brighter, crisper, sight picture. Then of course you have magnification so you can see your target better. Lots of "wins" here for the LPV. Downside is cost for one that is combat tough with good optics inside. Plus even my NXS is still heavy and bulky compared to a holographic sight, much less a red dot like a T-1 or an MRO. Anecdotally I'm not much slower close in with my NXS than my Aimpoint, but past 25 yards the NXS edges ahead. Past 100 yards turned up to 4X the scope murders the red dot, it's not even close for me, faster better hits at say 200 yards with the magnification. Even more pronounced in poor lighting.

Schrei Wolf, how do you like those CF handguards, in terms of heat? In your .223/5.56, specifically.

The context is that I'm looking at a semi-lightweight build for my daughter in the coming year. I'll be weight-conscious, but I want this gun to be appropriate enough for either of us to use in training classes.

I really like them. I find them comfortable to hold due to decent diameter. The carbon is really light weight and resists heat well. Faxon just released their co-designed handguard with Lancer called the Streamline that uses a standard barrel AR nut (and you can get even lighter weight titanium barrel nut from V7) and has M-LOK vents so you can mount everything to them. The only reason I didn't go this route is because I previous had the Lancer on a 16.1 Noveske Recon, otherwise I could have knocked off 3-4 more ounces of this rifle.

That rifle is sub 8 lbs as configured with optics. My fiance has no issues handling this rifle.

Lancer 15" Handguard

Christensen Arms 16" CF barrel

Gibbz Arms Upper (side charger is a bit heavier but more ergonomic, especially with locking the bolt back)

Rainier Arms Lower

VLTOR A5 stock (rifle spring)

Strike Industries Viper Stock

Magpul MOE Grip

Geissele SSA

OSS Bannar Brake (brake well and isn't that loud)

Aero SPR Lightweight Scope mount

Burris M-TAC 1.5-6x42 Ballastic AR Reticle (reticle is dot and horsesoe, big objective gathers light well and at 1.5x a massive amount of eye relief)

Edited by Schrei Wolf

^ Thanks for that detailed write-up, bruddah. :)

------

If you have bad astigmatism then you really have 3 choices in sights:

1.) Iron sights. Which are tough and do work well if your corrected vision is good and you can bring the front sight into sharp front sight focus. Downside is they're not as refined or user friendly as an optic.

2.) Holographic sights like the shitty Eotech. Great crisp dot/reticle image. Unfortunately they eat batteries pretty bad and in the case of Eotechs don't hold zero for shit under adverse thermal conditions. Vortex is releasing a new holographic sight to market and it might be worth a look.

3.) Conventional scopes. Probably the best choice from a sight picture quality standpoints if we are talking about a well made scope with good glass. A low power variable like a 1-4 or 1-6 can be very versatile too. I'm currently rocking a Nightforce NXS 1-4X24 with the FC-3G reticle. I like the super forgiving eye box and extremely compact dimensions compared to most other 1-4's (much less a 1-6). The glass is excellent, and the reticle works just fine with no illumination and is tack sharp. Another advantage over the dot sights and holographic sights is that a magnified optic can utilize lens coatings designed to transmit light instead of reflecting it. Thus you have a far brighter, crisper, sight picture. Then of course you have magnification so you can see your target better. Lots of "wins" here for the LPV. Downside is cost for one that is combat tough with good optics inside. Plus even my NXS is still heavy and bulky compared to a holographic sight, much less a red dot like a T-1 or an MRO. Anecdotally I'm not much slower close in with my NXS than my Aimpoint, but past 25 yards the NXS edges ahead. Past 100 yards turned up to 4X the scope murders the red dot, it's not even close for me, faster better hits at say 200 yards with the magnification. Even more pronounced in poor lighting.

There's "somewhat" of a fourth in there - as it sorta wedges-in between choices 2 and 3 on your list: the fixed-magnification prismatic. Of-course, with the improvements in the LPVO, this type of optic seems to be going the way of the Dodo. Nevertheless, there's still a couple of options that remain, even in today's market.

For me, the LPVO works well in all the ways you've mentioned, Penguin. I've been using the last year as "proof of concept," using a low-cost Vortex PST 1-4, and my low-light class a few weekends ago along with the coming weekend's three day's of shoot-house work will likely cement things for me, one way or the other.

So far, it's looking very promising.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I gave her a box of Winchester Ranger T-series 95gr JHP to carry in the gun. Not sure if it will expand reliably from a short barrel. I'm looking into the various short barrel rounds. I think Speer and Hornady make some variant.

The gun for her is primarily to hit someone and run away if she is accosted and in fear of her life. She's competing with my son on run times so I'm pretty sure she can outrun most people on the street. She's at sub-6 minute mile now. I can't keep up. I'm too old and usually carrying two guns. Granted, she's in a safe neighborhood but she runs at 5am all the time. I live in one of the safest places outside of Cleveland, yet I carry all the time.

My son was getting ready for airborne assault school and got his two mile run down to 13 minutes so my exgf wanted to do better. She actually asked me to run with her this morning when I got home from work. I laughed and said nope. Had enough running at work.

I hate running. Going to do it again tomorrow though.

I will look tomorrow but I have read some about underpenetration when using hollow point in 380s. If I find (look for) the articles I will share them here.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I will look tomorrow but I have read some about underpenetration when using hollow point in 380s. If I find (look for) the articles I will share them here.

.380 is certainly not ideal as a fight stopper, but the .380 you have with you is better than the .45 you left at home.

.380 is certainly not ideal as a fight stopper, but the .380 you have with you is better than the .45 you left at home.

Yep, the .380 is gonna be transparent in day to day activities compared to a .45 worth carrying.

Now, I know how some of you guys feel about SBRs, but i still wanted to share my latest build now that I got my stamp back. :spin::lol:

http://i.imgur.com/LpHEIqQh.jpg

I also finally got the Sten cerakoted. Decided to go with a two-tone look. I think it turned out pretty well.

http://i.imgur.com/0V4EJ5Fh.jpg

I think that's why my work carry is going to be a Kahr PM9, it's small enough to pocket carry. I've been carrying my .22 Mag NAA, but something with a bit more stopping power.

• I Donated
I think that's why my work carry is going to be a Kahr PM9, it's small enough to pocket carry. I've been carrying my .22 Mag NAA, but something with a bit more stopping power.

LC9S is also a good option in that same size bracket as the Kahr.

Ugh. I only needed one stripped AR lower for a pistol build but PSA was having a sale. S&W Shield 9mm and three blem lowers for $400. $75 rebate on the Shield. So about $342.

So someone's getting a 9mm Shield for her running gun and I guess the two extra AR lowers will become 5.56 rifles for my kids...

I do my best not to have stripped receivers because they just beg to be built on.

Hopefully everything ships on time so next month will be a good trip to my FFL.

In addition to the above, he should have my two CZ P10Cs and tax stamp #14 for another suppressor.

Edited by chowser51