LegacyGT.com

Add me to the GT head gasket failure list

On turbo motors not so much...they usually give out from head lift. You can always unmarry the AP and play dumb...but that is a risky proposition as well. Your car could be blacklisted in Subaru's system, which wouldn't go over well with a potential trade or new buyer.

Best to accept the eventuality of having to pay to play!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

That freakin blows hard ones!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I take it in next Wednesday so I guess I will face the music then. I really don't see how a simple chassis dyno tune could about 8,000 miles ago blow one of the head gaskets. What I do understand is cheap ass gaskets being installed during engine manufacturing. Oh well...last subie

My heads started to lift about 5k into my stage 1 tune. More boost makes those head bolts get longer. Seems to be a problem, but I just fixed it, went with studs, and moved on. Not really Subaru's problem. I am the one that broke it.

I'm na...the ej255 has has head gaskets going bad for quite some time now.

I read that the early FB25 owners are getting extended powertrain warranties to 8/100 because of the oil consumption problems. Got me thinking that I'd like an extension for piece of mind on the head gaskets...

So I emailed SOA to see if they would extend my powertrain warranty since my LGT head gaskets went "prematurely". They didn't bite, but they are sending me a $200 credit for parts or service at any subaru dealer. :cool:

So I brought it in and the dealership replaced both HG but my fiance just picked it up and I had her send me a picture of the invoice, one of the parts listed is a timing belt. The service guy on the phone didn't mention anything about changing the timing belt. Everything done was under warranty and no issues on that thank god,but my question is before I call and ask them a bunch of questions,is it common to do the timing belt when they replace the HG's and especially without bringing it to my attention???????

They have to remove the timing belt to replace the head gaskets. As someone who is a DIY mechanic, I would have replace the timing belt if I was doing the head gaskets, unless I had recently replaced the timing belt. The belt itself is only $80 or so from Subaru.

Yes it does make sense to me as well but to do all of that in one day?

They have to line up the timing belt whether or not they replace it when doing the head gaskets. At that point of disassembly it is like replacing accessory or serpentine belt. Their shouldn't be any labor involved beside walking over the counter to get the part.

Did they charge you the labor to do the timing belt on top of the head gaskets?

They have to line up the timing belt whether or not they replace it when doing the head gaskets. At that point of disassembly it is like replacing accessory or serpentine belt. Their shouldn't be any labor involved beside walking over the counter to get the part.

Did they charge you the labor to do the timing belt on top of the head gaskets?

No it was all under power train...thank god

• 1 month later...
Continually updated list of 2010-2012 LGT owners who've done head gaskets.

2010Leggy @ 105k miles

Swannee225 @ 75k miles

Sarang @145k miles

solgt @ 78k miles

acumenhokie @ 55k miles

redstriker @ 24k and 85k miles

Slider

BBPeik

and 2 others that I cannot recall their names as they are not on here very much at all.

Mora Hazard @ 135k miles.

• 2 weeks later...
Add me to the list. 141k miles stage I since 92k. Have to take a few days and decide what to do. dealer gave me rough estimate 4k, if the heads are ok.

Today sucks.

I'm sorry to hear that. Get some quotes though, I paid ~1200 at a local well-known speed shop, Forced Air Tech.

Good news; I found a good shop to do the HG replacement and heads machined, parts and labor for 1600.

I need input on what else i should do with this service? What are the head studs i have heard mentioned here? part number? The shop mentioned doing something with the pistons while in there, that would add 250..thoughts.

I plan on going E85 in the spring

Thoughts on this and advice moving forward. My budget for this repair is 2500.

thanks

Archived