LegacyGT.com

Add me to the GT head gasket failure list

My suspicion is that the chunk of Subaru's part numbers that comes after the letter(s) is more of a revision level than a discrete part number, so it could be that the ...710 was the last revision level as of 2010, and the ...730 showed up after that.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My suspicion is that the chunk of Subaru's part numbers that comes after the letter(s) is more of a revision level than a discrete part number, so it could be that the ...710 was the last revision level as of 2010, and the ...730 showed up after that.

Yes you're right, though sometimes the revision makes the part incompatible. As far as I know they are in this case all compatible. A good way to find out is whether the earlier part is still available or not. If it was superseded then for it's compatible.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Both parts are available through part.subaru.com this makes me wonder if there was any kind of adjustment to the engine during that period maybe something small for emissions.

Alrighty I found something, compression ratio dropped from 8.6:1 to 8.2:1 in 2010, I would assume the cam profiles were changed to help keep the power consistent.

I don't think CR on the STi was ever more than 8.2:1

That's probably a misprint.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• 1 month later...

Head gasket was leaking. good news though; insurance company is paying for it. Back in November I had hit a large piece of metal on the I24. That ripped out part of the bumper and damaged the lower corner of the radiator. Filed a claim, body work was done, radiator replaced. The day I took the car home radiator reservoir over flowed. towed vehicle back to dealer. they determined HG, and called insurance company, got approval for repair.

as of today engine is out, heads at machine shop. Dealer/mechanic are being very helpful. they are replacing a few things without charging any labor; TB, plugs, clutch, pulleys and tensioners. unfortunately they will not install any aftermarket parts, to include the exhaust cams..a little disappointed in that.

I am thrilled to be having all of this done for less than 1k (and a loaner).

• 5 months later...

I had my car bob baker Subaru for 8 months of 2016 and 2 months after I got it back (warranty expired in November) the head gasket failed. This is the second legacy I've had do this and first time having an issue with my gt. It took a month to two months to get the dealer and soa to split it. Took them about a month and a half to get the head gaskets replaced under warranty . And aaa ruined my front end so I'm dealing with this still

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Archived