LegacyGT.com

Add me to the GT head gasket failure list

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Clutch and maybe TGV deletes?

More clutch is a surefire way to break a 5MT and TGVs aren't much restriction until you're well into the 300whp range.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

More clutch is a surefire way to break a 5MT and TGVs aren't much restriction until you're well into the 300whp range.

Fair enough, but at 141k miles it might be time for a new stock clutch anyways.

What would you suggest?

Fair enough, but at 141k miles it might be time for a new stock clutch anyways.

What would you suggest?

Replacement stock clutch and do the TGVs if you're in there, no downside.

Standard advice for anyone who has the motor out of their 5th gen: Grab some used GRB exhaust cams. If the springs are available get those too. Really wakes this motor up, great bang for buck.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I think it is just the stock sti cams, and he is recommending upgrading springs to STI or better. And I believe the exhaust cam is not the one driving the oil pump the intake cam is, so that isn't a concern.

Recap, STI or better exhaust cam with STI or better springs...and go! Definitely on my list.

Next question are the STI intake cams a worthwhile upgrade?

I looked up the part numbers:

cams: L 13052AA730, R 13034AA730 $158.96 each

springs: 13217AA440 $6.16 each 8 needed

cam seal: 806742160 $4.64 each 2 needed

And the cam seals have a different part number than the Legacy ones so they definitely will need replaced. Those prices are for new parts from subaruonlineparts.com

I couldn't tell you where I saw it, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere on here that they're the same profile as our stock cams, so no use in swapping them in. Think it may have been either Swannee's or s2's thread, but I'm not positive.

Sorry, I probably should have quoted your first post there. The exhaust cams are definitely different, they have more lift (and possibly more duration, I don't remember). The intake cams are what I was saying are the same profile as ours.

Thanks FLlegacy for the research and help with translation. However, the part numbers I have for the exhaust cams are 13034AA710 and 13052AA710. The spring P/N being 13217AA440.

Correct the turbo scavenge pump is driven from the intake cam. Interestingly the STi intake cam has the slot to drive a pump it doesn't have. Makes me wonder if they weren't thinking at some point to do the low mount turbo on that car.

There are lots of used GRB cams for sale on nabisco, IWSTI etc., often bundled with the springs. Giveaway prices.

The BR9 cam seals work fine with the STi cams. Only the profiles are different. Remember some parts are interchangeable even they have different part numbers.

Just FYI the intake cams are identical but the springs are not. However the BR9 springs do not seem any softer. I'd swap to the STi springs if you have them but wouldn't go buy them if you don't.

The STi cam has about 1mm more lift and the profile looks much like that used in single-AVCS EJ255 motors you find in the WRX / FXT models and 4th gen LGT. With the STi cams in the motor makes much better torque over the whole rev range and it becomes worthwhile actually revving it to redline. All upside. You get the early spool from the short header, you get more overlap during spool to get the turbo spun up, and you get better midrange and top-end from the extra lift and duration.

With the STi cams in the motor makes much better torque over the whole rev range and it becomes worthwhile actually revving it to redline.

Very true. I know looking at my power curve after having the STI cams, my HP is still climbing even at redline. Well worth doing the cams if you get the chance. Especially since they will be out of the motor anyway and you can get them for cheap.

Kind of a long shot here- fahr_side, have you seen any instances where swapping in the STI exhaust cams is enough to induce overboost in a vehicle that didn't otherwise have that issue? I know we're pretty much right on the edge depending on wastegate porting and choice of exhaust components, and to my uneducated mind, better exhaust flow and more power could cause issues with keeping boost in check.

Yes, I'm sure it will make it worse as more exhaust flow is the whole point.

Archived