LegacyGT.com

2.5i Dual Exhaust

Sure rub it in dammit. Trade cars? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure thing - just pay for the transport, registration and conversion from LHD to RHD :lol:

Seriously though I just did it in stages. Started with the y-pipe and mufflers/tips then upgraded the mid-pipe and headers. Retuned the car and now I have something with a bit of a growl and goes reasonably.

It's still not quite as quick as a 3.6R (but not that far behind) but the big plus is that it doesn't have another 100kg up front in the engine bay to make it nose-heavy and upset the handling.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sure thing - just pay for the transport, registration and conversion from LHD to RHD :lol:

Seriously though I just did it in stages. Started with the y-pipe and mufflers/tips then upgraded the mid-pipe and headers. Retuned the car and now I have something with a bit of a growl and goes reasonably.

It's still not quite as quick as a 3.6R (but not that far behind) but the big plus is that it doesn't have another 100kg up front in the engine bay to make it nose-heavy and upset the handling.

Any idea how much you ended up spending just to convert to a dual (y-pipe, tips, etc.)? Also, the y-pipe that you used was custom right?

Edited by bobbydd21

Any idea how much you ended up spending just to convert to a dual (y-pipe, tips, etc.)? Also, the y-pipe that you used was custom right?

Yes the whole exhaust set-up from the headers back is custom on my car.

The y-pipe, sports mufflers, extra hangers and double-wall stainless tips cost AUD$1,000 so around US$700.

The rear bumper on the Aus spec car is slightly different so I also needed to get an insert with cut-out to replace the blank in the rear bumper. I think US spec you just have a cover??

Yes the whole exhaust set-up from the headers back is custom on my car.

The y-pipe, sports mufflers, extra hangers and double-wall stainless tips cost AUD$1,000 so around US$700.

The rear bumper on the Aus spec car is slightly different so I also needed to get an insert with cut-out to replace the blank in the rear bumper. I think US spec you just have a cover??

Okay, thats about the price I was figuring. And yup I just have a cover! Which is what makes it really tempting to put on the dual. Just a bit pricy for me right now.

Do you happen to have a link or name of the sport mufflers and stainless tips you got? I really like how they look.

No unfortunately I don't know the manufacturer of the tips/mufflers. The exhaust shop I use do a lot of custom work and they sourced/supplied these. The tips are 4" and fill the exhaust cut-out nicely.

No problem! Thanks so much for all the info!

No not really. I just did it for looks because I hate those cutout plates on the bumper.[ATTACH]235175[/ATTACH]

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

You and me both. Where'd you get your spoiler btw

Just got a quote today from a local shop for the y-pipe, two magnaflow mufflers, and tips for around $500. Not a crazy amount but kind of a lot for my budget right now considering I will probably get better sound from just throwing on the single nameless for $250. Plus that keeps everything OEM. But no dual tips :(

Just got a quote today from a local shop for the y-pipe, two magnaflow mufflers, and tips for around $500. Not a crazy amount but kind of a lot for my budget right now considering I will probably get better sound from just throwing on the single nameless for $250. Plus that keeps everything OEM. But no dual tips :(

$500 is a really good deal. Mine cost $800 for the dual exhaust for the full replacement.

If you're not getting the whole nameless cat back, and you're concerned about money, why not just get the Subaru y-pipe and the 3.6r right side pipe and muffler?

I wonder, does the extra flow with a second exit hurt the torque on the 2.5? Typically the benefit of an aftermarket exhaust is power from increased flow due to smoother bends and wider diameter, to a point, and then greater flow can hurt performance. I wonder if the 3.6r dual exhaust would improve power (greater flow after the cat) to the same degree an aftermarket single exhaust would. Anyone have any insights?

Hi,

It does hurt the torque on the 2.5i. I was getting too much back pressure on mine when I replaced the single to a dual exhaust, so my low end torque dropped significantly. The car really struggled to gain speed from 0-30mph off the start. On the high end side the torque is amazing, there's a huge difference. My buddy told me to install a cold air intake which should help a lot and balance it out. I just can't find one that'll fit this car. Oh I forgot to add that I had to take the car back to the shop and they had to make the pipe smaller, essentially choking the exhaust to slow down or reduce some of the back pressure. That did help, but my word Subaru is making it hard to do stuff to this car. Even wheels are a pain in the butt.

Edited by Kay2DaA

Hi,

It does hurt the torque on the 2.5i. I was getting too much back pressure on mine when I replaced the single to a dual exhaust, so my low end torque dropped significantly. The car really struggled to gain speed from 0-30mph off the start. On the high end side the torque is amazing, there's a huge difference. My buddy told me to install a cold air intake which should help a lot and balance it out. I just can't find one that'll fit this car. Oh I forgot to add that I had to take the car back to the shop and they had to make the pipe smaller, essentially choking the exhaust to slow down or reduce some of the back pressure. That did help, but my word Subaru is making it hard to do stuff to this car. Even wheels are a pain in the butt.

Takeda TR-4303p fits and SSD performance just added the 6th gen intakes as well

@BeastCoast1

Hi,

My plan is to go with the OEM 3.6 midpipe to add the dual nameless exhaust. I wonder if I'll run into the same thing you did with losing some low end torque.

I don't think this question ever got answered, but does anyone know if the 3.6 midpipe connects correctly right where the 2.5 one does?

Takeda TR-4303p fits and SSD performance just added the 6th gen intakes as well

Good to know, thanks for the recommendations I'll check them out.

My plan is to go with the OEM 3.6 midpipe to add the dual nameless exhaust. I wonder if I'll run into the same thing you did with losing some low end torque.

I don't think this question ever got answered, but does anyone know if the 3.6 midpipe connects correctly right where the 2.5 one does?

It could happen. When they put the car up on the lift. It shocked me how tight the space is where the exhaust is located. I think regardless of what size pipe you use, I'd be more concerned about how your engine will respond. Depending on how long you've had and driven your car, you're going to notice a difference in your cars response once you change the exhaust. Things become more obvious that you didn't notice before. I'm going to get the intake and let you know if I notice an improvement on the low end side.

You could do a bigger single exhaust. That would be interesting to see if you can get more power without sacrificing torque.

It could happen. When they put the car up on the lift. It shocked me how tight the space is where the exhaust is located. I think regardless of what size pipe you use, I'd be more concerned about how your engine will respond. Depending on how long you've had and driven your car, you're going to notice a difference in your cars response once you change the exhaust. Things become more obvious that you didn't notice before. I'm going to get the intake and let you know if I notice an improvement on the low end side.

You could do a bigger single exhaust. That would be interesting to see if you can get more power without sacrificing torque.

Yeah it will be interesting to see how this affects the low end torque. I'm hoping not too much. Haven't had the car too long. It shouldn't cause any actual damage or engine problems though right?

Did you notice any remarkable change in performance?

Not at all honestly. Sounds a little better and mpg improved slightly but not much in the performance department. I even tried resetting my ECU a second time thinking the cars "brain" wasn't accounting for the increased airflow properly. A little quicker off the line at most but hardly noticeable.

I'd be interested to see someone use the SSD intake they just made available for our car even though they already had one that would've fit. It uses the stock filter box and a panel filter as opposed to the Takeda using a cone filter and replacing half of the filter box.

@BeastCoast1

I think the issue is that it's just the piping for the intake that's any different. CarID I think has piping to make a custom one for cheaper, I was thinking about that. I did wonder if the takeda a was better though. Thanks. Edited by aotus

Yeah it will be interesting to see how this affects the low end torque. I'm hoping not too much. Haven't had the car too long. It shouldn't cause any actual damage or engine problems though right?

There's a shop in my area that deals with Subarus, I'm going to ask them they're opinions. I started researching how to increase low end torque issues not just for Subarus but other people that are running into the same problem. A couple guys on this forum have mentioned replacing headers and cams. So I am looking into headers and have the cams looked at and see if the CVT can handle it. I've abandoned the intake thing because it's more helpful for fuel economy not performance. I've seen a bunch of headers for sale but I can't find the right one to fit the 6th generation legacy. So if I can find the right headers and possibly cams, that I believe will be worth the money invested. I just pray that I don't destroy the engine.

Well, sadly nameless is completely out of 3.6 exhausts until they come out with their new model. So I'm just going to order the 2.5i single delete and call it a day for now. Perhaps it is for the better!

Have you searched eBay?