LegacyGT.com

2.5i Dual Exhaust

Hey guys! I know there are some past threads on the topic, but I could not find any of them with a solution. Has anyone put a dual exhaust on their 2.5i or know of a way? I definitely want to upgrade to the nameless exhaust, but I also love the look of the dual tips. Any suggestions? Thanks!

My idea:

http://parts.subaru.com/images/parts/subaru/fullsize/B15_44001580.png

Above is a picture of the rear exhaust for the 3.6. My idea is to use part 44200 (as well as the gaskets and such). Then get the 3.6 dual nameless exhaust and connect it just like you would on the 3.6. It seems that the only thing missing on my 2.5i is the piece near the rear bumper that the hanger of the second exhaust attaches to. Does this idea seem feasible? Would there be issues doing this with the 2.5 engine? Also, I assume you could get a cheaper part similar to 44200 custom made, but it is mainly the idea I'm concerned about.

Edited by bobbydd21

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 2.5i is single exit. There is nothing that would fit well to make this dual exit. (attached) is the connection. In order to install the 3.6r (dual exit) Nameless you would need the "Y pipe" at the end of the midpipe to bolt 2 exhaust connections on to.

IMG_1062.JPG.6d369db30034f7fbf499a7a576cd25af.JPG

@BeastCoast1

The 2.5i is single exit. There is nothing that would fit well to make this dual exit. (attached) is the connection. In order to install the 3.6r (dual exit) Nameless you would need the "Y pipe" at the end of the midpipe to bolt 2 exhaust connections on to.

Yes, exactly. That is why I asked if replacing the single exit pipe that is on there now with Part 44200 would solve this issue. Part 44200 gives you the y-connector that seems like it would allow you to put on the dual exhaust.

Hey guys! I know there are some past threads on the topic, but I could not find any of them with a solution. Has anyone put a dual exhaust on their 2.5i or know of a way? I definitely want to upgrade to the nameless exhaust, but I also love the look of the dual tips. Any suggestions? Thanks!

My idea:

http://parts.subaru.com/images/parts/subaru/fullsize/B15_44001580.png

Above is a picture of the rear exhaust for the 3.6. My idea is to use part 44200 (as well as the gaskets and such). Then get the 3.6 dual nameless exhaust and connect it just like you would on the 3.6. It seems that the only thing missing on my 2.5i is the piece near the rear bumper that the hanger of the second exhaust attaches to. Does this idea seem feasible? Would there be issues doing this with the 2.5 engine? Also, I assume you could get a cheaper part similar to 44200 custom made, but it is mainly the idea I'm concerned about.

You would need a custom "Y pipe" to attach both sides unless you could find a way to buy the one off of the 3.6r and attach it to where yours is currently single exit which would take a little welding but not impossible. You would need some hanger bushings too. I assume there are already connections for them on the inactive side, otherwise you would need something to hang that side from as well.

@BeastCoast1

Yes, exactly. That is why I asked if replacing the single exit pipe that is on there now with Part 44200 would solve this issue. Part 44200 gives you the y-connector that seems like it would allow you to put on the dual exhaust.

Im not sure if 44200 would bolt right up to the cat in a 2.5i I would be curious to know even though i already have the nameless for the 2.5i :mad:

@BeastCoast1

Im not sure if 44200 would bolt right up to the cat in a 2.5i I would be curious to know even though i already have the nameless for the 2.5i :mad:

My impression is that 44200 would bolt right up into the cat. I just really want the dual look, but I know it's going to be expensive this way. So even if this all works, I will probably have to end up going with the single nameless anyways.

If I order Part 44200 through my local Subaru dealer it's $170 and then the dual nameless is $450. So all together just for parts it's going to be at least $700...

Edited by bobbydd21

My impression is that 44200 would bolt right up into the cat as this is where the nameless bolts up as well if I'm not mistaken. I just really want the dual look, but I know it's going to be expensive this way. So even if this all works, I will probably have to end up going with the single nameless anyways.

If I order Part 44200 through my local Subaru dealer it's $170 and then the dual nameless is $450. So all together just for parts it's going to be at least $700...

Yea it would be real expensive considering the mid pipe would technically be a stock replacement. It would be a $700 axleback :icon_eek:

@BeastCoast1

Yea it would be real expensive considering the mid pipe would technically be a stock replacement. It would be a $700 axleback :icon_eek:

Yeah that is insane! My buddy's idea is to do the single nameless and then put on some sort of fake second exhaust just for looks. However, I've never been really a fan of fakes but I'm more of a fan of saving $500 haha.

My impression is that 44200 would bolt right up into the cat as this is where the nameless bolts up as well if I'm not mistaken. I just really want the dual look, but I know it's going to be expensive this way. So even if this all works, I will probably have to end up going with the single nameless anyways.

If you're not getting the whole nameless cat back, and you're concerned about money, why not just get the Subaru y-pipe and the 3.6r right side pipe and muffler?

I wonder, does the extra flow with a second exit hurt the torque on the 2.5? Typically the benefit of an aftermarket exhaust is power from increased flow due to smoother bends and wider diameter, to a point, and then greater flow can hurt performance. I wonder if the 3.6r dual exhaust would improve power (greater flow after the cat) to the same degree an aftermarket single exhaust would. Anyone have any insights?

Yeah that is insane! My buddy's idea is to do the single nameless and then put on some sort of fake second exhaust just for looks. However, I've never been really a fan of fakes but I'm more of a fan of saving $500 haha.

Haha then youd have to worry about having an exact matching tip (and your own self consciousness)

@BeastCoast1

Haha exactly! So your nameless was definitely worth the upgrade over the stock I'm assuming?

I was wondering this too. "Worth it" can mean different things to different people. In terms of power, are there maybe dynos posted somewhere using this exhaust?

I was wondering this too. "Worth it" can mean different things to different people. In terms of power, are there maybe dynos posted somewhere using this exhaust?

Yeah this is exactly what I mean! I know you get the sound benefit. So I guess what I would like to know is there any sort of performance benefit and does the tip/muffler look noticeably better than the stock?

Yeah this is exactly what I mean! I know you get the sound benefit. So I guess what I would like to know is there any sort of performance benefit and does the tip/muffler look noticeably better than the stock?

That's a before and after stock Vs Nameless

In the description there is a video of my wife driving away from me. She was real gentle on the gas but you can get the idea.

As far as performance goes, probably not a chance from an Axleback.

Visually looks better than no tip and almost the same as the factory tip.

The sound (mine is the delete) is pretty incredible. And just so you know this was before I put my intake in so this is stock as can be.

@BeastCoast1

That sound is great, no doubt about it. For me, however, I want the show to be a few steps behind the go...I always chuckle when I see a car making a lot of noise but not getting anywhere. To each his own, naturally, but if my car gets loud, it had better be a friggin rocket

That sound is great, no doubt about it. For me, however, I want the show to be a few steps behind the go...I always chuckle when I see a car making a lot of noise but not getting anywhere. To each his own, naturally, but if my car gets loud, it had better be a friggin rocket

I hear ya. That's how I felt before I really figured out this Land Yacht wasn't going anywhere. My feeling of self pity from my car sounding like a Vaccum outweighed all other thoughts though

@BeastCoast1

Here's the exhaust diagrams from 2.5i vs 3.6R:

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/12/d107c34e917cd361e60df3564697e450.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/12/568e54c0b4953d9ccddd65a73b9acdd2.jpg

You'll notice that both of them show the mid-pipe as 44200 but the 3.6R has the y-pipe. That's because these diagrams don't show you the full part number - only the suffix.

I'm not sure there has been any 6th gen owner do the swap, however there was a 5th gen guy do it and he said that there was a difference in the 3.6R mid-pipe compared to the 2.5 (in the gen 5). See post here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5064737&postcount=84

I went to an exhaust shop and had them cut the pipe, weld a y pipe and hangers on the right side with 2 magnaflows for 600. I considered the 3.6r parts but it added up fast.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Any difference in "umph"?

No not really. I just did it for looks because I hate those cutout plates on the bumper.[ATTACH]235175[/ATTACH]

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Looks nice, maybe a little low, but maybe that's just the angle.

Any difference in "umph"?

I had my exhaust done with a custom job from an exhaust shop also. The only difference in changing the rear mufflers is to increase the noise.

The stock system is quiet so a set of sports mufflers will add a bit of an exhaust note. There's no power increase unless you change the headers and retune the engine (which I have done also).

I had my exhaust done with a custom job from an exhaust shop also. The only difference in changing the rear mufflers is to increase the noise.

The stock system is quiet so a set of sports mufflers will add a bit of an exhaust note. There's no power increase unless you change the headers and retune the engine (which I have done also).

Sure rub it in dammit. Trade cars? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@BeastCoast1