LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Legacy FMIC Fitment/Install

Well guys, sorry for not making this any sooner. Been busy with work alot lately.

So I will try to cover most of the install, what to expect and what pipes to cut.

Alittle background to why I went with FMIC instead of a bigger TMIC. Obviously because it looks cool, especially with a black car, really pops out!

But the major key was to get the most lowest BAT (BoostAirTemp). I was Stage two, with everything but a bigger top mount core. I wanted more out of the car at this state, still have stock injectors and pump for now. If I was going to spend $600+ on a core, minus well try a FMIC kit right?

I purchased the 2008+ Wrx/Sti TurboXS FMIC kit. Mine was used, so I got it dirt cheap. ;)

Now why 08+WRX FMIC kit?

I thought this for months. We have the same location on the TB, so why wouldn't it fit? Of course the hot side was going to be completely hacked.

But upon installation, I utilized my racerx charge pipe, for my hot side. No cutting what so ever! Direct fit. However, the grey harness for the headlight will need to be directed down to floor, since it rubbed against the pipe. Lastly, you will be losing your intake box at this point. I had an extra 09 wrx intake box and hacked the MAF housing to fit a cone filter. Gives me clearance now with the pipe and filter.

Core support beam

My theory was I was going to need to drill the holes wider or smaller on my core support to accommodate the wrx to legacy frame. When I lined everything up, DIRECT fit! I was so glad to see it actually fit nicely. Also, there is a little metal where the core will be against in the back that you will need to bend away. I added a strip of rubber to avoid rubbing/cutting on the core.

Charge/Cold side

Now, I thought this would be the easiest side, plug and play.

Nope, was wrong. I was trying to route my pipe from the core up, ended up going from TB to core. You will need to loosen the fuel rail bolt on top holding the three lines down. This gives you alittle room underneath where you can run your first pipe from TB to the next pipe near the battery. You will need to block off the BPV flange that the pipe have, since you will be using the location near where your intake box use to be at. Next you will need to ditch your battery tiedown and move your battery as close as possible to the fender and push it fair back as possible, away from the front. The pipe I used was the same the WRX would use, but will be a tight fit. Trust me, no issues with it against the windshield fluid tank. When I say tight fit, it's with the coupling on it already.

Now basically you will have about 5 pipes left from the kit. You will be using the one with a 45 degree elbow in it and will need to cut the two pipes where they meet and slap on a 90 degree elbow coupling.

I recommend beading the pipe, weld bead or even JB bead the pipe you cut to prevent slippage. I have on order the pipe beader, but I used hairspray and clamped the clamps down. No issues so far after doing two hard pulls for my Etune.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drive-ability with normal TMIC tune.

Car felt alot more responsive. Weird right? Maybe with it being cooler charge, or just a better setup. Car was super happy, smooth and felt stronger.

I drove for 200 miles on my TMIC tune, no issues. Of course, I did not go into boost what-so-ever. Just had to make sure the car was leak free before Etuning it.

Now with my tuning, in the making of, Low end torque is more aggressive. It revs alot quicker. My last pull I did today, the car felt very strong. Pulls harder and sounds nice!

If you guys have any questions. PM me, or ask away here! I am just trying to show my work for someone to do the same if they want a FMIC.

Many will ask, I have replaced the clamps with T-bolt. I ran out and used worm clamps to insure fitment was good. NAPA sells T-bolt if you need extra, Part # 705-1532.

I also ran the re-circulation hose behind the pipe where it comes off the turbo, had fitment issues with the fan back into place.

Coolant temps went up 5 degrees. However, I am trying to see if I can lower it some more and possibly get a shield around the air filter, to prevent it sucking up hot air.

Bumper did not need to be hacked as much. Middle plastic needs to be shaved, The whole bottom part needs to have a inch thick piece cut off as well.

Overall, Very happy to have this work with very little work done. I would say its plug and play, Just one two pipes need to be mod.

Who would be interested in a pipe that is a direct fit for the charge side? I have a buddy that works at a shop and can hopefully talk him into getting that pipe setup and eliminate the use of coupling.

Now on with the Pictures... ;)

Will include pictures of my Crawford V2 setup, since many have asked how it is mounted.

image2_zpsp36kgor2.thumb.jpg.9505fbfc1e833b4ca72ebf7d16c5e408.jpg

image3_zpsuilhx3wv.thumb.jpg.2880facbe347acbb86edccb65ed07d14.jpg

image4_zps73ptterp.thumb.jpg.9fb4c8103d6cdb6d0383d9035b46f0c8.jpg

image5_zpsxdnhtga2.thumb.jpg.aeef4f72c61f4ad3c00bee348ee3a2e9.jpg

image6_zps7idzpl8y.thumb.jpg.ce1409b2bbc1edf25e50fe49c328db7b.jpg

image7_zpsqf3ocatw.thumb.jpg.ffa2a03967a99dda7d3845234361ac62.jpg

image9_zpskznzh8l2.thumb.jpg.016ad928a80896eb282ee308182e848f.jpg

image8_zpsjpri3ath.thumb.jpg.d43246b8f2a1c2f3c2ac802a87176da9.jpg

image10_zpsieco0hl3.thumb.jpg.6f1afcece0c42f6338c87cec05671a2f.jpg

image11_zpss5i9jalv.thumb.jpg.d9a3d3bd9d34d1642ecad9f5009ae65e.jpg

image12_zps4lfb6owu.thumb.jpg.2a6cda2d929bdc7ceee111468d9fee07.jpg

Edited by Fabsx

The issue isn't the battery, I have plenty of room near the battery and oil filler cap.

The issue is the windshield fluid tank at the bottom. Basically have enough room for the clamp and coupling.

You just can't reuse the tie down due to it being pushed backwards and the caps on the battery wont allow to use the stock bracket, causing the fitment issue.

Maybe a aftermarket one would slove this..

Trimming the bumper isn't as much.

Like I said, an inch on the bottom will allow clearance.

• 3 weeks later...

Just had a couple of questions:

I wanted to verify the model number was Turbo XS WS08-FMIC?

And which pipe was the one you had to cut from the attached pic? You also had mentioned you had to use a 90 degree coupling as well. Was that extra or included in the kit?

I'm assuming the Pipe was painted since I can't seem to find any color options?

Do you also have any pics with the bumper installed? Telling from it's location, if somebody decided to park like an idiot (NYC), would it be pretty easy for them to damage the IC reversing into my bumper?

Edited by jojorios

Just had a couple of questions:

I wanted to verify the model number was Turbo XS WS08-FMIC?

And which pipe was the one you had to cut from the attached pic? You also had mentioned you had to use a 90 degree coupling as well. Was that extra or included in the kit?

I'm assuming the Pipe was painted since I can't seem to find any color options?

Do you also have any pics with the bumper installed? Telling from it's location, if somebody decided to park like an idiot (NYC), would it be pretty easy for them to damage the IC reversing into my bumper?

Correct part number sir!

As far as the pipe to cut. Do your hot side first, get that all rigged up and stuff. For when you start on the cold side, work your way down from the throttle body down to the core. You'll quickly will see which pipe(s) will need to be cut.

I used the 90 degree coupling that was included in the kit.

Pipe was poweredcoated when purchased. I'd prefer polished or black, but I don't show off my engine bay to care much.

Lastly, no issue if you was to be reversed into. Granted they don't have a tow hook installed. That would just suck!

And for everyone else. Car runs amazing! Lots more power, but hard to tell from a standard TMIC vs big TMIC vs FMIC. I am trying to get a dyno pull to see where I am at, but will be getting a upgraded fuel pump soon and can do that after installing. But no, I am not having issues with fueling. Just something I want to be done now verses later. E85 in a couple of months!! ;)

Charge/Cold side

You will need to loosen the fuel rail bolt on top holding the three lines down. This gives you alittle room underneath where you can run your first pipe from TB to the next pipe near the battery. You will need to block off the BPV flange that the pipe have, since you will be using the location near where your intake box use to be at.

I think the BPV can be seen in the 6th pic.

I believe that's the BPV from the Racer X which we use. I mean the one that comes with the one from the FMIC kit that is unused that Fabsx stated needed to be blocked off.

No plate included.

I just made myself one out of a thick piece of metal and made a gasket to seal it off.

Anyone here recommend a fuel pump? Suck between the Dw65c and Dw300. Will be going E85 later and bigger injectors.

I've looked and tried.

However, I wouldn't do it because the pipe is slight smaller then the OEM. I would get the Perrin silicone hose for the WRX and make it work.. In second thoughts. I might bite the bullet and try some things out with the intake.