LegacyGT.com

Senseless1's 1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.2 NA-T Build

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another early morning! It's kind of rough getting started, but its nice and quiet on a quarantine morning in the city.

Power steering return hose installed, bellhousing helicoil installed, cleaned up and reused the clutch and flywheel hardware sending them home with blue loctite.

bPu5m4w.jpg

qJW6fH0.jpg

She looks ready!

5ZPkiV6.jpg

Problems I still have ahead: scheduling lol I still have an engine in the back of my car, but need to transport the hoist to remove it lol

Oil drain is going to be a nightmare. I may need to pull the turbo to get that the way I want it.

Mating the trans might be a fight. Going back to 6 bellhousing bolts instead of 4...am I getting that lazy? lol.

I may just slap the engine in and load up the rest of the parts to complete at a later date just to make sure I can get the storage unit squared away first to meet deadline.

Anyways breakfast time.

Of course she doesn't want to mate up. Taking a break to rehydrate then going back for round 2.

Should be straight forward. Jack trans up to clear engine mounts during stabbing

Not sure if I'm hung up on the clutch disk or engine mounts dragging the subframe.

Either way I might be close enough to use some bell housing bolts at the top to help achieve the right angle to engage to clutch disk and pilot bearing.

Watch out for that little flywheel inspection plate at the bottom. Hard to deal with when the engine is in, but easy to fold over if it's in place before stabbing.

Oh god I don't remember paying attention to that lol hope my flywheel doesn't have to self clearance lol

But seriously...I had to cut the turbo out because of one stupid little oil feed being a different type of fitting from my aftermarket oil feed line...

What a nightmare. Literally had to drive 20 minutes and borrow a sawzall in panic mode.

So the bottom (of course not the top) downpipe nut see zed on the stud.

I'm expecting it break now (I'm slav squatting over the engine bay mind you so I don't have to lay in a pile of heat wrap dust)

Oh good the stud popped free. We are back in business!

Slav squat continues ratcheting continues. Temp is in the upper 80's now and I'm in a storage unit....

Stud seizes...

Awesome! Let's break it!

Threads roll over and stud free spins really tight.

Are you Fing kidding me!

Exhaust manifold fell down and up pipe slipped through the subframe, so I'll need to lift the engine back up to slide that in.

AC compressor brackets are not interchangeable...

Still going at it.

About to tow it out and clean up.

The burst of fire through the upper inspection cover (because everyone is missing that plastic cover) next to the PCV is how I knew I was clearancing my lower cover the first time. But it has to come back apart at that point to keep from ruining the pilot bearing through misalignment. Never made that mistake again. It was a very exciting moment.

I hope you have achieved towing and apt parking readiness.

The burst of fire through the upper inspection cover (because everyone is missing that plastic cover) next to the PCV is how I knew I was clearancing my lower cover the first time. But it has to come back apart at that point to keep from ruining the pilot bearing through misalignment. Never made that mistake again. It was a very exciting moment.

I hope you have achieved towing and apt parking readiness.

I think it went in okay.

Once I had removed the turbo and had the appropriate amount of space it stabbed really nicely in spite of my load level being at a diagonal.

Well, left with 3 full vehicles filled to the brim, one highly amused AAA tow driver, a wife deserving of great favors and only missed my soft deadline by 30 minutes. I'm not keeping deadlines for this project going forward.

Phase 1 of the First month free storage swap is done, and we live to see another day.