LegacyGT.com

Colonel Red Racing 2005 STI Race Car

Sgt.Gator

Maybe when they're done at Nürburgring they'll loan it to us for the Thunderhill 25?

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

• 1 month later...

Time for an update!

STI <Blue Sake Bomber>: Rallispec was going to sell me a used closed deck block, but it needed to be re-done and they wanted to try a special plating process they had never done before and I agreed to be the Beta tester for them. They contracted out to have it done but the vendor has gone silent and is not letting us know what the problem is they are having with the process. So scratch that idea!

They have another closed deck almost ready to go with O Ring seals for the heads. That is getting the 1/2" head studs and will ship very shortly.

Meanwhile, Surgeline has pulled the motor and removed the heads. One of the head stud holes is damaged. I don't know why, I followed the TQ sequence from Rallispec and the ARP instructions exactly. So they've sent out the heads to the only head re-builder they trust in Portland to do the job. If I need a new head I'm going to go :spin: See image.

I've purchased a 4-gallon aux fuel cell which should give me a full 60 minutes+ of Enduro racing time. There is a small possibility the car will be ready for our final Enduro of the year, the Fall Enduro at PIR. Since it usually rains there, I'm up for it with the STI!

Palatov D4 <Pearl>. Pearl failed its first Tech inspection at ORP. Both the ICSCC steward and the head SCCA tech scrutineer weren't sure about parts of the cage. The car is just too different from anything they have seen before. Basically, they said to send in the pictures and engineering drawings to SCCA HQ and get a certificate of Homologation. I did that last night. Once we get that I'll send the materials plus the homologation certificate to NASA for approval there too.

The Palatov team also convinced me that if the car is going to be a rental track day / race car that I should mod it with a sequential paddle shifter. The one they use has its own processor which not only performs super fast up and downshifts that are perfectly rev matched, but also negates almost any possibility of over revving the engine up or down shifting. Those safeguards reduce wear on the tranny and keep one from bending the engine from over revs. So that is being done.

The sequential shifter is a Geartronics unit. If you are interested: http://www.geartronics.co.uk/

The "dash" is an old first gen XT Racing unit that Palatov doesn't use anymore. Luckily they do use ArcFlash now, which is a local company here in Bend, I know the owner. Once I get Pearl back I'll take it to their shop and we'll swap out the dash for one of their new units. https://www.arcflashllc.com/

The seat in Peral is friggin hot! I have some DEI heat insulation to put on the exhaust side, and some Sunmate cushion material in various thicknesses to put on the bottom and back rest (which is just the aluminum firewall from the exhaust. https://www.sunmatecushions.com/pages/how-to-select-a-sunmate-cushion

That's about it for now. It's just $$$$:mad::spin:

975884843_GatorCylinderHead.thumb.jpg.d810a297ffc5ab62d1ec62b524633715.jpg

Blue Sake Bomber: The heads are toast, warped beyond repair. The valves are bent. Rallispec will build a new set of heads (BuiltEJ made the now warped ones).

1) Dave will build up pretty standard heads with Supertech valves and beehive springs, and clean up the transition from port to the valve seat and a few other areas....but not actually opening up the port any. We need to know if the cams are ok, they are out t the machine shop to be checked today.

2) The plated block ( the one that lost it's piston pin retaining clip last spring) is supposedly having it's final honing done. When Dave gets it he will inspect and if it passes will ship the heads and block. If it doesn't pass inspection he'll ship the O-Ring block and heads.

Surgeline will re-assemble and do the initial dyno break in and tune. Then I'll try to wrangle some track time at ORP for a full day break in session at no boost. Hopefully, before the track closes for the season. Then back to Surgeline for a final tune before hibernation for the winter. That way it will be ready to go for the first race next April, the spring enduro.

Pearl (Palatov d4): I submitted engineering drawings and images to the SCCA. No word back yet on the homologation.

I think I need to shoot a documentary on this saga :)

More to the Saga:

Last week I bid a ridiculously low $$ on a Factory Five 818R. Much to my surprise, I won the auction! No one in the Factory Five forum can believe it, it's a car that has been on there on the build threads since 2014. So it's well known. I was actually trying to help the owner get some bidders going on the car, I had no hope I would end up winning the bid.

If you aren't familiar with them they are "kit" cars based on Subaru WRX/STI donors. The R version is the full race car, as compared to the S (Street) and C (Coupe). This one is powered by a forged built EJ 20. This particular car was built and actually registered in California and is "street legal". It has two seats.

I will use it as an instruction car and track rental car at ORP. It will also be the backup car to the STI during race season, which means we shouldn't have any more issues with no car to race if the inevitable happens. They will race in the same class in both Sprint and Enduro racing, so we should be consistent class finishers next year.

The only mod it needs is to re-install a dry sump system, the owner had already sold off the dry sump he had on it.

Completion Date:*Fall 2014

Chassis:

Powder coated

Carbon Fiber Rear Race Spoiler (custom welded frame mounted)

Carbon Fiber Rear Race Diffuser

Carbon Fiber Race Splitter

Motor:

2004 JDM EJ20

Dominator 1.5xtr

750cc injectors

Killer B pickup and baffle

Outfront Fuel Rails

Grimspeed ceramic coated inside/outside - exhaust manifold, cross pipe, up pipe

Cusco Motor/trans mounts

340 lpm fuel pump

ECU and wiring:

JDM ECU

Iwire custom wiring harness w/factory ECU

Trans:

Cusco 1.5 LSD

2004 5 speed

Exedy stage 2 clutch

ACT flywheel

Brakes:

Wilwood 12" Red - Slotted & Drilled

Wheels:

Enkei Kojin

17x8 + 45 Front*

18x8.5 + 45 Rear*

New WRX hubs

Tires:

Hoosiers A7

225/40-17 Front heat cycled

255/35-18 Rear heat cycled

AND

Hoosiers R6

225/40-17 Front heat cycled

255/35-18 Rear heat cycled

Anyone interested in a 2009 Corvette Z06???? I have to make room now!

eBay2.thumb.jpg.738f488857800a354f9b0c9c8e90fbeb.jpg

eBay1.thumb.jpg.dca4c3084ce2e71b02a58b149bad5073.jpg

eBay3.thumb.jpg.4d579b1df75838855d3ff42b3ddc1786.jpg

eBay5.thumb.jpg.18b0ed00826a1da31b99ee313cf212c4.jpg

eBay17.thumb.jpg.841e1a4c84bd8ad02bc8e9fe7cec5054.jpg

eBay11.thumb.jpg.dc19a7fe4d9bbd89ec02096d5db2bdf1.jpg

eBay13.thumb.jpg.a07e0ba9cdc0120842b7adf8655c6b9a.jpg

eBay14.thumb.jpg.484c1157d8d149b770bc7118bac14bfa.jpg

lucky dog!

Street legal to boot!

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

lucky dog!

Street legal to boot!

Makes checking mods, suspension changes, and tunes a lot easier if I don't have to wait for a track day!

Dammit! I just want 1, just 1, racecar. :mad:

Nice find Gator, congrats!

I now have 3 1/2 race cars. I'll be happy to sell you 1, or even a half. :)

"I'll just place a little $16k bid to help generate some interest..." :lol:

You must have read the thread... :)

$16,100 to be exact!

Congrats on buying another Subie. It's like a drug, isn't it?

So, you'll be looking for a shop in town to house all your cars? Maybe add a bay for building motors?

I think I need two bays for motor builds. :redface:

• 1 month later...

A couple of Updates

The STI:

The relined block and heads are finally on the way!

Here's what's coming:

Normal 79mm stroke and 8.2:1 CR.

Short Block - Closed Deck EJ257 Block, aluminum sleeves w/ NSC coating, Cosworth 8.2:1 pistons in 99.5mm bore sizing, RalliSpec H-beam rods w/ ARP L19 bolts, King XPG bearings, Manley billet crankshaft. Rotational weights matched to less than 1/4g and total reciprocating weights matched to less than 1/2g. Piston clearances are much tighter than previously used because the expansion rates of the cylinder liners...this is based on discussions with the liner manufacturer based on their experiences and the data we gave them.

Heads - Factory B25 castings w/ only modifications being some tweaking to the valve seat angles and blending of the port to the seat and smoothing some of the bowl areas. Valves are Supertech standard size valves with intakes in stainless steel with black nitride finish and exhausts in Inconel material. Valve springs are beehive type for sustained high rpm use and fitted with titanium retainers. Valve seals are a high temp material on both intake and exhaust. Valve locks are standard. No cams or lifters are being supplied. Heads will be fully assembled but not fitted on to the block.

Heads and block are machined for 1/2" head studs.

RCM head gaskets supplied.

Everything brand new except the block which is the same block that was used in the original stroker build.

Finally moving along!

The 818R:

I'm redoing the cage design. It will have a high front hoop like a Lotus 2-Eleven FIA GT race car. I'm also installing a new ESS AFFF 5L - Six nozzle fire system; a new firewall between the fuel tank and the cockpit; an FI-Tech G_Surge fuel surge tank.

The Palatov D4 is getting a new rear hoop to meet SCCA Specs; the previously mentioned sequential shifter. It should be ready to go in a month, although the tracks are closed for the winter, Palatov has their own test days at ORP I can drive in, at least until I freeze.

457132.thumb.jpg.c015132c54b6618549fc1e9ee66a9d28.jpg

927497.thumb.jpg.c268b590933b89fb71a85fe519471f73.jpg

927501.thumb.jpg.c320ee2c178e069bbd2398f8bb026b6f.jpg

LOTUS_211_037.jpg.d358c3ebd5bf3e5901ec465295937e2c.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The new block and heads for the STI have arrived at Surgeline. No ETA yet on when it will be running again. The damaged block with the crank and associated parts are going back to Rallispec to be credited to my account depending on what's usable.

On the 818R we've installed a FITech surge tank, ESS 5L Foam fire bottle, a battery box for an EarthX lion battery, and a new Mishsmoto XLine STI radiator.

The AWIC has come out to be replaced with a Mishimoto G-Line FMIC. Factory Five ran their R race mule for a while with an FMIC and liked it a lot, they report the turbo lag was not bad at all under racing conditions. They swapped it back to the AWIC for the UTCC last spring. So we're going to be pioneers on the FMIC solution. We still have the AWIC in case it doesn't really work.

y4mUuuipibcXxL_cMH5pjtZ0PM_SVOScqyXf8ykHZOTlCqdDR57x7SNVbnw4Uj1ECSY774yTNLQ1l7cXkKU4UXC1p03wzF2PskFNHiAWtMaQayP7eMGtjye-iDIQyk-YXqIOVUuJnlIRrK9bf9WnwQkvcgulelEKv92XWIFYMdwS3Y_ADa1fBKemkSsEov1ffl0NW2EPS5CQLH9KGZhZBtdWw?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none

y4mySBTTmziSI4iLClyGkNh_XH_qd2Ek2HjQJAwyLeZCAuS6SET1SAUHwhyD5YdHDHwcQ1MmXS1vWb1LQtY9dsZRHBXQyA7VIJX8dRqwklHKxx4Q6dZjtWwS-qwzOhvO-2-Hr58QpfNRXWgHJU8k7jg8leOeYL5VbRwxRKzMfSvgvLeXkFjuwPzH5snVHATXgY3iPfGSW8rztagDDWHanV_nA?width=768&height=1024&cropmode=none

And after some cleaning and wire tidying:

y4mVu2DiCON-JCe2Bcgc6HDl2qZRWCu4yWSMuiMcrmahj8Lma7qUOS4x5FALkG6y4YC4d9koxt2cANEjSeSc-8F5G5fv8rCZEGbVeSrvReAVaeo8hxyRhV7yI2_YwzXgx_MQ3qkEWc0MS9MHLDylDqUeXx1zNob3tb2L0Em4xaZktdkDAidLmbJYAQ2w6GQay24VGMHSVdlgHoMfmB3USyIBA?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none

Edited by Sgt.Gator

Are you going to be at the Thunderhill 25?

No, I would have been on the Retro Racing Team 818R crew but it caught on fire at the Portland Fall Enduro. Next Year.

So I'm going to PRI instead. http://www.performanceracing.com/tradeshow/

Tom got the Mishimoto G-Line FMIC partly installed so he can mock up the IC piping and radiator/intercooler ducting:

y4mdkmbSDVB6nyt4g_LWDgh498nJg4Ari5XuSijGxRKBa33g2s_80lmSRtQ9YyEa9LxOgn-eNBpZD3o8LPGL5rvioNukGcMdkf8r5dLY8fZqkHfE6R1qGRWE2DfkaRENP0DkC4QhTEK_hXv0248FP4zoDx1w1nv18_fN2D5DHkLiXuPIoszCh1lMmTmsPtUu9FCQSWbBQvVkXG9DlUoIttN2w?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none

and

y4mU89nPgHhJnJfKWXHcq0duTQXUSIo8xpRpdFIoEHpk_ls-TdTwll1jNIQTTJD9wfhb37LqF5TVIxi8fqMyUDowNoihJZw4wuxp3HEPCmmioz67xr7eu07xU4lIbX1JIaDIedH5Pdw4kpUbmNUUMx9uHQw7Pc2OszH8nQylCwz7lu86b3FDbthLP6Jp0Wt_XlrScV5bpJlCmBd_x3U827f1A?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

STI: The block and heads are back from Rallispec and being assembled at Surgeline in Portland.

The FMIC lower bracket is in on the 818R.

y4mpzy3mhyw6PmD-idRTkUqv63YLWy4XaCjpgmMIGZu5oovorPLhny8os5MDZcLOIF-rKWASlMVpcaXW1Ob8MJ4X-CG7NtWGPK8kahRKU92zI3tpE94CJXkScte281I0cwBMT_-ttB1DchK27RQC8d07eLFqo83wshnaCvOHtavnAXMgNpS0MA24JQvbd2oDkr-UbEaS3Ew3Es57hYZ55BxRQ?width=992&height=1024&cropmode=none

The Palatov is almost done too!

I've listed a TurboXS Dual External Pump Fuel Surge Tank at my eBay store too : https://www.ebay.com/itm/182919389302

Edited by Sgt.Gator

• 2 weeks later...

From PRI 2017: I had a great talk with the owner of the Can Jam Motorsports STI, Nick Hoo, that just won the Speedring 2017 Time Attack overall fastest time and earned them a $20K check from Motovicity. It was very interesting. First a few shots of his car:

y4mAYbp1SG-MJ4POozhCW4Uife5L6Hl_c0_v0aVrBuhsQodLQMX-DjndR21RxBT5GEHP7yI6wyWTC0hOYCuzGDpok_y78_zBmhvNsibZIe_VdOjGtY2PjrNkXf8k5xDVQhlFHEUsbyziX-O-vEF9oxTn7R9-TanZPp8uwV9onk_cUjJm4G5IqQ5oX2Nx9pyVLoMAC6IfjfF9O8I3-gRU4dNHQ?width=768&height=1024&cropmode=none

I think the splitter needs to be a little larger....

y4mWHqo2kGzbb5mHPbwn8CvEmdRUV5GTTdYRNrcEow6rrAH152eCQqqMLXUkAWVyYFMBKJ-zqpYIJajgCDPrJcPWUyifefFObhIgVdGR9itEWXuIWnOypGUspKBeDMof-457sQj3cUqsJzJ0AzFjcRyuvkkp1w-kQ33Dt15xFVWSWJ6pUsjEijK9iYVKP5i0ccWRTI7_hXM7W8Y_ogTgV_c_w?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none

Murray Constant Tension Turbo Clamps!...Yes, I sell them, how many do you want? Shameless Vendor Plug. See http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/murray-constant-tension-turbo-seal-clamps-and-dual-bead-clamps-254752.html

y4m5T-hN-EGlTiPyHoU4kxP2bHhcwZdueonjXlCO0lirTFZ9_Vwrw8u-lWxTKL4MgSiotfuVOsJ3upT6irBtVsqhFJ8Vb-mD2aMukRtHpwlvUXcB-xhrjCWm6SMpLMYpztVlK_XFIZqxSe9py4ieV8fvlU8BywbGqMcxwlMYxPYLeo_Viy8XxZeEGcDwX7-rBTAktYYvafyp8DG3rujXZqltQ?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none

OK, so where's the Dry Sump? There has to be one in here somewhere.....

y4mBkZ627PW5dqVaVxRpCGmOmyAtm2klgW-pngXfZPbGqeWYjbEIAkggBXxt8Tq8LcKUK9dF2mhy6ldtArdL66Xkf35kayjUwqVKMeOlWzVZcTURhfYAkrw6h054CdeJwpQfdY1Dh7oCsBQP-RAhOlPnS3u7flIp3zThhDTWn5Odwh4naTYgTxZo4IRwRxxU4dxdboUlmlzC0F1JXf7qQzsAA?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none

The answer is there isn't one <now>.

Like all Subaru racers that get into High G's Nick suffered several oil related engine failures from the heads filling with oil. That led him to use what most of us consider the cream of the crop DS, the Dailey. However, they still weren't getting the longevity they expected. They noticed a slight drop in oil pressure under hard acceleration. 600HP and AWD will get you some of that. More acceleration than a 818R could probably stick to the ground. They tried upping the scavenge lines size to AN16, that didn't work.

With the previous wet sump pans, they had never experienced this issue. The problem with the wet sumps was they were filling the heads with oil. So for 2017, they switched back to a Killer Bee pan and pickup. But the key was they machined ports in the bottom of each head and ran AN lines to a Tilton electric pump mounted low out the picture above, down by the frame, then lines from the pump back into ports installed in the OEM plastic oil fill pipe. That empties the heads of oil and drops it right back into the KB pan.

Sorry, I didn't get better pics of that setup but I'm sure you can imagine it.

Very cool!

However, for 2018 they are scrapping the Tilton pump system and going with an Aviaid DS setup. Despite his success with the above system he still wants a true dry sump. I told him my experiences with that setup and how to rearrange the pump blades for an easier install. This car not only does Time Attack but up to two hour enduros and they want a DS sytem with a large tank again.

And over in the Ford Performance booth...the Joey Logano Daytona Coupe featured in the Gas Monkeys episode a few weeks ago:

y4mdPPPA7Wgq5JO3k-gHHTXaetsMNma_gh8UdnIdR9ik40VrzwDNps1lmmuCreIPf8ra7xyZ07-XLUk8FYmDlLT4E6AhNy1Njrj77JlH3MtNadG94mYvmH73WGSq1177rDSgrBwjfjTiBQrNwZ4BepSWd0dcm5I84Gu7Z9gmr-39kg32CcVBlliv8CziPqiATdlK3q3y3defDr5QdACvMgf1g?width=768&height=1024&cropmode=none..y4mT-TJs3-jbKZR-vmRz3K2cqg85274zEPPY0Vc2ualP7M1NzaBmt7u3LyY9gQeW7TLmB82r_DfftT9_Ib7hDzfAlKyuc0RA60mEy-TRoq6a6bgZgLNInCCLn8PQDoibeJiGQmOXC9rgHu9wipBzxjKCZJvG-QFjai521PjU8k6V-Lc825_rApu5hkmn1msa6z86DrRFaZfJTwRkEtnk_zKAA?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none..y4mXdixhRJ9IbnAlZ0Je8axAU09V9pC5gT3zsT8ACHmxOGFSzWDc9h2Fn0wrO7aOEneSQxRRXLpPNjsiU9MyOtGYXaiRBVbpw6tiHRkltHMt585QgrlpUmL8n4qusYmE8yeARUjwSxcLxsaS3uK3WIjuYldVLhoih7KCaTgUYYci7TK-Zcbrdi53mDIPwSG4dgilQfSraBKyzWl_O63fBYbWw?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none

And if anybody is thinking about a sequential dog box I talked with every vendor about using one in a 818 and STI. Just be ready to spend $15 to $25K. And another $4K for a Geartronics GCU if you want that <you do!>

A few more pics:

The Taylor brothers LMP car that killed it this year:

y4mJ4W3zgT7E49fC_s-Yli_AeHVNfHA4BcViRQHksS3zwQMiNHlvwHWJ-u59hwGRajSdEkjkHUJDPh43F52PZP2xZLlAJIkkcq0bnk0EcYbtArDMVYEem3gxCxwhoQBgMFsBkegC45_4kSn4UFP002AnDGW8jzxiKCc1x130mKlxoKLYyazw8j4gX9UB3aVE0I50XDnmnaiRpNJJ32epkrbVg?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none

The THill25 winning Flying Lizards ( two years in a row):

y4mCBJjJPE6jW0Yy5IYAM5WTHFGGFa4lyo9xDnwgSTSifeCnUhUUSf1-Kw6ERHedI9bRaMq5-mC-aajL4GNhmapxaGOEcFUzWpypCI55mfrwiv_RaX9l-C2LPxidvi6W_s9Cm0UZfse5wDJSv-wOp-FzNSO74pZf6tmdKq1qACWkn1Io9-ghWafIfaRqHaHgXpIZpIitjMwZPlhzYaLvnBPVQ?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none

Sequential Tranny from Pfitzner, specific replacement for the Subaru 6 speed tranny.

y4maDyKVh1hRIsqi8pl5GZ0uQnP_o_ljGSA2xb4M2DsluYjcw6L_e8CuZqDltceJnUxpr-5O2L8drZftmQYea3tp9xS39aKipLHzc1PoeRsIGIY5rdm2Vm7fj4b4M3YvheC1exKcT6Ju6otTwmkerl9UtIirLt1TAS57imZp6unMItclEBsUOaM-XdcGlmW7hltNDG5dFrpkB5dWPSV06ZSvQ?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none

Edited by Sgt.Gator