LegacyGT.com

The BBPeik Swannee Engine swap

Your noise is most likely just expansion in the pipes from the heat of the exhaust. The stock pieces probably had already gone through this enough times the noise was pretty well gone, I would expect the new parts will do the same over time.

The noise S2baru was mentioning is piston slap from forged pistons, which stock engines don't have. However, these engines do have mechanical lifter assemblies which do tend to be noisier than hydraulic ones and when cold a little noise is noticeable. Neither is much to worry about.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for all the help. I heard the noise from the internals, but the tapping is definitely from the injectors. They are super quiet, but as soon as you touch the throttle you hear the noise. I used my stethoscope on an injector and they are the noise. Just something to get used to. As soon as throttle goes up you cant hear it anymore though.

I have a question bout that ticking noise s2ubaru said

Since I installed my invidia catless dp at cold starts I hear a faint ticking sound coming from my dp area till it warms up,is that normal and what you were talking about

It could also be a small exhaust leak that seals as the parts heat up and expand. Did you use all new gaskets?

Well just had a fun little result of what happens when you mod cars. Realized I still had a bubble in the cooling system so I burped it and then went to drive around the block. Ran up the boost in second and then a very loud pop, then a very loud other kind of noise that just plain sounded bad, then a big poof of smoke out the exhaust, then it died. Then it would not restart. No check engine lights and the air fuel was all off so I figured I popped a boost hose. Mind you though I am still about a quarter mile from my house. So I walked home, grabbed my daughter and the yard tractor. Drove down and towed the car home. Had my daughter drive the car( she is twelve and was very nervous)she did great, and I drove the tractor.

Welp got it home and sure enough the bpv popped off. Looks like I did not tighten the clamp enough. Oh the joys of modding cars. At least all is well though.

Yup, that happened to me after TMIC install when I didn't have the charge pipe pushed in all the way to the silicone Union connector. Luckily I was able to push it back on just enough to crawl back home and adjust.

I have been to Idaho a couple times and always thought it was gorgeous. We have thought about moving there too. Would love to get the perspective of someone who actually lives there.

My perspective is its a miniature Denver with a bit more homie type people. Aka Portland lifestlye but more outdoorsy.

My wife and I have been wanting to road trip there. Maybe next summer would work for us. I'm sure s2 won't mind waiting another year.

:hide:

What's another year?? Gives me more time to save for the big shebang

I'd drive the 6 hours (assuming Boise) with enough notice.

Roughly 6-7, definitely worth it.

Im 27 hours driving out.... but if given the right time of the year... I'd do it for Stu!... otherwise, I'd fly in.

*csshh* s2baru to tower1..

--yes, s2baru?

*flight control we have squadron of Subaru's incoming, 3westbound, and one from southern skies. How we looking?

--skies are clear s2baru, send em! Deck is clear

So I put the car back together tonight and ran it around the block again. All went well, no bad things this time, so I decided to take about a 5 mile run to make sure all is well. A few observations. One the Perrin steering lockdown is amazing. What a difference. If you do not have one, then you need one. Second, thank God for the man that invented teh turbo. Boost comes on super smooth and I get to peak boost without any trouble even at half throttle. Boost stops right at 18 which is the limit on the base tune. No FNC or DAM problems either. All I know is this thing is going to be fast. Third, the damn injectors are still noisy. Of course turns out you hear them much more in the car than you do in the engine bay. Must be echoing through the firewall or something. I may email cobb about this issue. All I can say at this point is that I can't wait until it is fully tuned.

Archived