LegacyGT.com

ISC and Prime Coilovers?!?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My $12 JVC marshmallow earbuds are junk, too, but they're fine for what I use them for. I've used more expensive headphones, but these get the job done adequately (in my opinion) without breaking the bank. Same concept.

I'm with you in the "buy the best money can buy" school of thought, but there are a hell of a lot more people out there in the "buy the best you can reasonably afford right now" school, and given that $600 coils probably ride better than the stock suspension, you're going to see a lot of people arguing that they're fine. Not the best, maybe not even good, but fine.

For what it's worth, my eventual suspension upgrade is probably going to cost me closer to $10k- $650 on Koni inserts, $250-350 on springs, and the remainder on a second car.

Not to mention that the 4th Gen guys really don't remotely have any idea of how horribly awful the 5th Gen (2010-2012) stock suspension really is. It's beyond bad, so $600 coilovers that might last 30k miles are a HUGE improvement. :lol:

For long term serviceability, second to none performance in a standard-ish traditional style shock, and cost to benefit ratio, the Koni's are a no brainer. The only down side is lack of ride height adjustability.

Well, I like my TEIN junk better than the OEM junk, that's for damn sure. I hate them even during the winter after spending all summer on TEINs. Such a floater! So, for me, TEINs are just fine and accomplished what I wanted.

Just on to say that I'm on ISC coilovers and getting their LCA's on at somepoint once I get the remaining bolts and they are far from junk. For the money you spend on them compared to other high ends they perform very well. Definitely leaps and bounds over spring upgrades in 5th gens Ive ridden in by far, everyone has their own opinion of course.. And just regular maintenance goes along way too. Not many people are going to shell out 3K+ for a set of coilovers when they're not going to use them to their full potential. But thats my standpoint at least, very far from junk, thats for the racelands.

its easy to fool the masses with stiffer springs and junk shocks.

thats the last ill say on the matter.

That's great, I must be a fool then. Your opinion of junk is just that, your opinion and not the word of the car gods. I don't need $3500 Ohlins on a DD. You've made your point that you're a suspension snob many times, thanks.

well i just put on a pair of AWESOME coilovers i got off ebay and my car handles so much better than yours possibly could. i mean it corners so hard my passengers have to wear neck braces to handle all of the g's. and all this for less than an 1/8 what you paid......

Hard to justify buying ISC or BC Coilovers if you can get KW V3's used for less than 1000$... and considering ive seen RCE T2's go for 700$ used here.... the value proposition for brand new not so great coilovers isnt that good.

Go scour the NASIOC forums for KW V3 coilovers from a 2008-2014 STI and I bet you can find one for less than a grand.

But that is if you want coilovers, if you dont want coilovers, then stick with RCE black struts and your choice of spring.

^^^ Delta, STi (5x114) fitment won't work, need WRX (5x100) fitment.

I picked up my 2k mile AST 4100's, 08-14 WRX fitment, for $1200 with Swift coilover springs and tophats. Unfortunately they aren't on the car yet.

I picked up my 2k mile AST 4100's, 08-14 WRX fitment, for $1200 with Swift coilover springs and tophats. Unfortunately they aren't on the car yet.

So your setup will be for sale soon??

5x114 has nothing to do with our suspension fitment, my coilovers are an unmodified RCE T2 that would fit on an STI.

The only thing that sets my coilovers apart from an STI coilover are the springs, other than that, the coilover body is a direct swap.

I AM WRONG, 2008+ WRX is the correct fitment, not 2008+ STI

5x114 has nothing to do with our suspension fitment, my coilovers are an unmodified RCE T2 that would fit on an STI.

The only thing that sets my coilovers apart from an STI coilover are the springs, other than that, the coilover body is a direct swap.

You've got something mixed up.

The two lower bolt holes on the front strut lower ears are different between 5x100 and 5x114. 5x114 are about 3/16 wider apart and the holes are 1/2" farther apart OC.

I am putting STi suspension on my Forester and they are not direct bolt on to my 5x100 steering upright/hub. The lower holes need slotting and a washer must be put in between the upright and strut ears

The two lower bolt holes on the front strut lower ears are different between 5x100 and 5x114. 5x114 are about 3/16 wider apart and the holes are 1/2" farther apart OC.

I am putting STi suspension on my Forester and they are not direct bolt on to my 5x100 steering knuckle/hub.

I think its because the forester itself is not compatible with STI suspension, otherwise, how come WRX's can use STI coilovers?

As far as I know, even Myles at RCE told me that my shock bodies are identical to what you would find in a 2008-2014 STI.

Perhaps I am missing something regarding trying to fit struts vs trying to fit coilovers.

I think its because the forester itself is not compatible with STI suspension, otherwise, how come WRX's can use STI coilovers?

As far as I know, even Myles at RCE told me that my shock bodies are identical to what you would find in a 2008-2014 STI.

Perhaps I am missing something regarding trying to fit struts vs trying to fit coilovers.

If you mod the STI struts you can put them on any 5x100 Subaru. Shock bodies might be the same between the 2 KW units, but the lower mounting ears are different. Look it up. I kid you not.

Forester, Impreza, Legacy front struts will all bolt directly into each other and are directly interchangeable without modding. STi won't fit without slotting the lower bolt holes and using spacers between the strut ears.

Forester, Impreza, Legacy front struts will all bolt directly into each other and are directly interchangeable without modding. STi won't fit without slotting the lower bolt holes and using spacers between the strut ears.

Checked my invoice from 4 years ago, you are correct.

My RCE T2's are identical to 08+ WRX Fitment.

Having said that... the validity of my comment still stands, getting a used KW 08+ WRX Coilover is the definition of bang for the buck, rather than buying a brand new non stainless steel body coilover.

EG;

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2769329

RCE T0 for $1100 USD.

:lol: Getting there buddy! Hopefully in the next few weeks, the weather is getting warmer.

You will love them trust me. Did you decide on rates?

With the whole suspension thing, there's way better options with better dampening and performance out there than most sub $2k coils. If you want adjustability, do some good quality shocks and get this thing. Honestly, the damping on most of the sub $2k coilovers is lacking, but if you don't know what you're missing you don't care. If you think that your budget coilovers fit your needs, then **** it, rock em. Yes, I am a suspension elitist and I will recommend ast 4100/4150 to people all day, but I realize that $2k is a butt-ton of money to drop at once on a luxury item that someone may or may not see the benefit over something $500 cheaper. $500 is a weekend vacation, some small power mods, or something else for another hobby.

So, my recommendation is AST 4100, with custom rate swift main springs and swift helper springs. Add some Vorshlag top hats for the camber.

Honestly I love my Koni's, for what they are. But whitetiger and GravityGear are completely right. I had ridden in Fredrik's old Shrek with Tarmac0's several times both on and off track, and the fine tuning of the damping is sheer heaven, truly refined. And until you experience it, and can spend time with it, you won't really ever know the difference that upper end shocks make.

BTW, GravityGear, I went with 6k Swift springs all around for now because I only had to get one pair. The shocks were set up for 5k/4k so I didn't want to overspring the rears. When I get a rebuild in the future, I will get them revalved and go stiffer.

Honestly I love my Koni's, for what they are. But whitetiger and GravityGear are completely right. I had ridden in Fredrik's old Shrek with Tarmac0's several times both on and off track, and the fine tuning of the damping is sheer heaven, truly refined. And until you experience it, and can spend time with it, you won't really ever know the difference that upper end shocks make.

BTW, GravityGear, I went with 6k Swift springs all around for now because I only had to get one pair. The shocks were set up for 5k/4k so I didn't want to overspring the rears. When I get a rebuild in the future, I will get them revalved and go stiffer.

Understanding that the teins are nice for a plug&play option that offer good daily usage I really enjoyed them on the highway. Putting them to work on the autoX course is a completely different experience. Been I cars with bags out on the course, ohlins, kW etc and its a different world with them. So I agree both ways. Ty the teins are perfect for the common everyday too from work coil. The HKS that I have now is seriously unfair, I'll let you drive it. It's so planted and stays in place not as 'herky jerky' when a movement of the steering wheel.

Archived