LegacyGT.com

BTSSM says I have knock

Only posting for an update of what's going on. On my way to the shop to pick up those early drop off envelopes the IAM dropped to 0.500 and then after about 8 to 10 seconds bumped back up to 1.000 and is holding there. The timing corrections in the LV are all at 0.00 now. I still get warnings, but not as frequent. No codes or misfires or other weirdness.

Maf g/s is as follows: 0.00, 5.60, 10.00, and 40.00

Learn % is as follows: 7.80, 2.80, 9.40, and -0.30

Pic uploader isn't working for me currently. It was not good then fine, now it's kinda good.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So wait, you say you have an 'AEM DryFlow filter' and you are on the stock tune? I am not too acquainted with this filter but if it flows noticeably more air than the stock filter, AND you are not tuned for it, then your stock tune needs to be modified.

Got back from the shop. The word is not good. Engine knock detected on boost and decelerating and under low and even negative boost. They checked for boost and vacuum leaks and found none.

They specialize in Subaru and looked over what btssm is telling. There is more knock than there ever should be and the computer is correcting it for now.

They're saying it's possible and heading towards ringlands.

I did everything right with this car and did my best.

So you have a Grimmspeed TMIC, turbosmar bpv, and that AEM filter all running with a stock tune, correct?

How many miles have you been driving like that?

Bump to my question.

That dry filter shouldn't throw off the learning values by that much if at all. Looks like a post boost leak. Once you figure out if there is a leak or not I would look at the front O2 next.

In general, if you have a boost leak, the trims will turn negative, meaning it will pull fuel as some air escaped before it got to the intake manifold. It happened to me several times when I had issues with my throttle body hose.

With those mods I've been driving for about 10K miles. Was never advised for a tune or anything related. Never knew I had an issue til I plugged my BtSsm in and got readings like the ones I have now

With those mods I've been driving for about 10K miles. Was never advised for a tune or anything related. Never knew I had an issue til I plugged my BtSsm in and got readings like the ones I have now
This is why BtSsm is the best! It can help diagnose and notice MANY issues, either at inception or late in the game (like here).

Having mods with a stock tune is quite dangerous. Even a stock setup with a stock isnt that great.

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is why BtSsm is the best! It can help diagnose and notice MANY issues, either at inception or late in the game (like here).

I would thank that post 1000+ times. I cannot drive my car without that app running at all times.

OP, you could contact Mike @ tuningalliance. If it is not too late, he may be able to help you check and refine your tune.

Also, you could always do a compression/leakdown test to rule out ringland issues. If it comes out fine, time to get rid of that crappy stock tune.

I get a decent amount of knocks that come up on my BtSsm. And they always show up randomly throughout the RPMs. Mines an 05 5EAT. Bone stock. I do have a K&N panel filter in place of a paper one. Is that bad to do without a tune?

There's been a lot of debate about that and no clear answer IMO. But it's better to hear the opinion of a tuner. You can pm tuningalliance above. He'll let you know. In any case, how are your fuel trims?

I get a decent amount of knocks that come up on my BtSsm. And they always show up randomly throughout the RPMs. Mines an 05 5EAT. Bone stock. I do have a K&N panel filter in place of a paper one. Is that bad to do without a tune?

If you're getting frequent knock indicators, I'd pull an LV. If it looks healthy (IAM=1.000, and timing pull not going lower than -2 degrees or so) then I would consider it most likely false knock. If you think it's false knock, you might even consider going into Settings and adjusting "Knock snapshot sensitivity" down to reduce these alerts. The default is zero, so anything below that causes the alert. For example, to lessen alerts you could set it to -4 so FKC would have to fall below that before triggering.

If anyone is wondering... BtSsm monitors the ECU's FKC (feedback knock control) value to activate the knock indicator. When FKC goes below zero, it means the ECU has just detected knock, and has pulled timing (the value of FKC in degrees). This is sort of "real-time" knock handling, unlike FLKC which is learned but that's another discussion :)

This being said, if BtSsm indicates knock (FKC from ECU) it could be real knocking, what I suspect Soarin is experiencing. Or... it could be "false knock", which can happen for a LOT of different reasons - here are a few:

-loose heat shields around exhaust rattling

-loose anything in engine compartment

-seems like automatic transmissions can cause false knock (possibly around the time the torque converter locks/unlocks?)

-one member here found a pebble resting in a cavity on top of his engine near the knock sensor which caused a lot of false knock

-I personally believe one/both of my AVCS pulleys can chatter in certain conditions and cause massive amounts of false knock. I tried different AVCS table values in my tune that caused this, when I put them back it went back to normal

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

I'll be getting a compression/leakdown test next week just to confirm or deny what's going on. Which is admittingly freaking me out.

How do I fix this tune if it's just that? Does it reset to stock when I pull the battery? If the tests say I'm good I need to get a new battery later. Tuning Alliance seems to have my answers.

Heat shields look good and strong, nothing feels loose in the engine bay

Last knock events I had emailed to myself.

Outlook.com

« Inbox › Reply

Show Cc & Bcc To:

Jerome FlahertySubmit

Subject:

RE: BtSsm Knock Events

Send Cancel

A copy of the original message will

KNOCK DETECTED at 2016-03-09 06:38:13 PM

AFR: 14.6

Battery (V): 13.7

Boost (psi): 1.40

Coolant (degF): 201

FKC (deg): -3.87

FLKC (deg): -2.10

Fuel correct (%): 2.6

Fuel learn (%): 9.08

IAM: 1.000

Injector PW (ms): 6.7

Intake (degF): 86

Knocks: 14

Load (g/rev): 1.02

MAF (g/s): 30.11

MAF (V): 2.38

Misfire cyl 1: 0

Misfire cyl 2: 0

Misfire cyl 3: 0

Misfire cyl 4: 0

O2 rear (V): 0.8

RPM: 1776

Speed (mph): 47.8

Throttle pedal (%): 23.9

Throttle plate (%): 30.6

Timing (deg): 25.0

KNOCK DETECTED at 2016-03-09 06:38:11 PM

AFR: 14.5

Battery (V): 13.8

Boost (psi): 0.00

Coolant (degF): 203

FKC (deg): -2.11

FLKC (deg): -2.10

Fuel correct (%): 0.8

Fuel learn (%): 9.08

Injector PW (ms): 6.1

Intake (degF): 86

Knocks: 13

Load (g/rev): 0.91

MAF (g/s): 26.32

MAF (V): 2.28

RPM: 1729

Speed (mph): 46.0

Throttle pedal (%): 17.6

Throttle plate (%): 22.4

Timing (deg): 27.0

KNOCK DETECTED at 2016-03-09 06:37:58 PM

Battery (V): 13.6

Boost (psi): 7.10

FKC (deg): -8.09

FLKC (deg): 0.00

Fuel correct (%): 0.2

Fuel learn (%): -0.29

Injector PW (ms): 8.7

Intake (degF): 95

Knocks: 12

Load (g/rev): 1.52

MAF (g/s): 73.33

MAF (V): 3.12

RPM: 2904

Speed (mph): 37.3

Throttle pedal (%): 32.5

Throttle plate (%): 41.2

Timing (deg): 15.0

KNOCK DETECTED at 2016-03-09 06:37:58 PM

Boost (psi): 6.90

FKC (deg): -5.98

Fuel correct (%): 0.0

Injector PW (ms): 8.7

Intake (degF): 95

Knocks: 11

Load (g/rev): 1.53

MAF (g/s): 72.79

MAF (V): 3.10

RPM: 2852

Speed (mph): 36.7

Throttle plate (%): 41.2

Timing (deg): 16.5

KNOCK DETECTED at 2016-03-09 06:37:57 PM

AFR: 14.1

FKC (deg): -3.87

Fuel correct (%): 0.6

Injector PW (ms): 9.0

Intake (degF): 96

Knocks: 10

Load (g/rev): 1.51

MAF (g/s): 70.01

MAF (V): 3.08

RPM: 2788

Speed (mph): 35.4

Throttle plate (%): 40.8

Timing (deg): 18.5

KNOCK DETECTED at 2016-03-09 06:37:57 PM

AFR: 14.2

Coolant (degF): 201

FKC (deg): -2.11

Fuel correct (%): 1.6

Injector PW (ms): 9.0

Intake (degF): 96

Knocks: 9

Load (g/rev): 1.48

MAF (g/s): 68.44

MAF (V): 3.06

RPM: 2784

Speed (mph): 34.8

Throttle plate (%): 40.8

Timing (deg): 20.5

Learned Values, IAM 1.000

Fuel Correction %

0.00 5.60 10.00 40.00

7.80 (red) 2.80 9.40 (red) -0.30

Timing correction

0.00 throughout

Also, what about that time IAM was at 1.000 and then dropped to 0.500 and then bounced up to 1.000? Is that significant?

The compression/leakdown test that you have scheduled is a good idea, just to rule out internal issues.

If the IAM drops, it's usually because the ECU saw so much knocking it made a coarse adjustment. That pulls timing back everywhere, and resets all the individual cells to zero. There's more info here - search for "IAM".

Also note that whenever you reset the ECU or disconnect the battery, IAM start out low again, and work its way back up to 1.000

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

I read about the IAM and know it starts out at 0.500 and then rises to a steady 1.000. Mine dropped while I was driving from 1.000 to 0.500 and then back to 1.000 where it's been ever since.

I read about the IAM and know it starts out at 0.500 and then rises to a steady 1.000. Mine dropped while I was driving from 1.000 to 0.500 and then back to 1.000 where it's been ever since.

Glad you're getting it checked out! :)

Same here. I'll post the compression test results right after. Tuning Alliance said that if the numbers are good then it's likely too much air vs fuel because of the mods causing the knock. So, they recommended a new high flow DP and a Cobb AP tune with the intake mods I have so everything breathes better. Which is a lot cheaper than me having to get another car or a shortblock.

Still astounds me the tune was never advised til now.

Archived