LegacyGT.com

Headlight Bulb

Yes I searched. Has anyone figured out why our healdlight bulbs go so quickly? I can't seem to accept that the DRL cause that. Doesn't happen on other cars and almost every car since 2008 come equipped with this feature. I seem to have to change a bulb every 3-6 months. I used to do the regular Sylvania's then I went to the expensive ones, then to the even more expensive PIAA's. all the same effect. :(

Come on now, your not that new here.

www.store.candlepower.com

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/daniel-stern-lighting-and-subaru-headlight-options-45991.html

I have the numbers written down in my little note pad I keep for the car, I don't have it with me right now, sorry.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I happen to have a H3 Fog lamp by my PC at home, one burned out early last week. NAPA has them for $5.00

I do buy my head lights from that site, yes they last much longer

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Come on now, your not that new here.

www.store.candlepower.com

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/daniel-stern-lighting-and-subaru-headlight-options-45991.html

I have the numbers written down in my little note pad I keep for the car, I don't have it with me right now, sorry.

I feel yah, just frustration with these damn headlights...Lol. I couldn't find that link. :spin:

Regular sylvanias and silverstars both have poor average bulb life. I'm not sure about the piaa's, but I'm guessing that they're pretty low too.

Standard sylvania H7's are rated at 270hrs.

Silverstars and Silverstar Ultra H7's are even worse at 125hrs.

Standard GE H7's are rated at 500hrs

I think standard philips h7 bulbs are rated at 750hrs.

Standard wagner h7 bulbs are rated for 550hrs, and the wagner h7 long life bulbs are rated at 1100hrs.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is a wide range of how long headlight bulbs are supposed to last, even between your standard replacement bulbs.

*Edit: Just checked, and wagner longlife h7 bulbs are only $3.64 each at rockauto, standard wagner h7's are $2.75 each, philips standard h7 $3.30 each. If you're sick and tired of replacing bulbs, I'd just pick up a pair of one of those. The standard wagner h7's have a slightly higher candlepower rating than the longlife's, as I would expect most standard bulbs to be slightly, slightly brighter than their longlife counterparts.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/subaru,2005,legacy,2.5l+h4+turbocharged,1430733,electrical-bulb+&+socket,headlamp+bulb,11701

Just ordered the following from candlepower for my car after doing a lot of reading on headlights... previous owner had a cheap HID kit installed... out with that, in with the proper stuff:

low beam:

Osram Rallye 64217 65w 64217

Ultra High Output H7

high beam (drl):

Philips / Osram 9011 9011

(HIR1) - (12.8V 65W - PX20D)

You need to SLIGHTLY alter the H1R1 bulbs to fit, but its really quick and easy with a dremel: http://store.candlepower.com/mohirbuba.html

So you're using the highbeam as DRL? interesting. Kinda makes sense since that's hardly used.

The lowbeam lights were used as the DRLs on the 2005-2006 models. I believe this was changed from 2007 and up to the highbeam, which is how my 2008 model is.

The lowbeam-as-DRL system kills the lowbeam bulbs quickly. I think there is a guide on here about how to just disable the DRL circuit entirely on the 2005-2006 cars.

So you're using the highbeam as DRL? interesting. Kinda makes sense since that's hardly used.

ah - so when I read your OP last night I saw the year 2008 mentioned and jumped to thinking that was the model car you were discussing.. my bad!! yes in my 08 the DRL is the high beam, sorry I didn't post accurate info for your actual model year.

Regular sylvanias and silverstars both have poor average bulb life. I'm not sure about the piaa's, but I'm guessing that they're pretty low too.

Standard sylvania H7's are rated at 270hrs.

Silverstars and Silverstar Ultra H7's are even worse at 125hrs.

Standard GE H7's are rated at 500hrs

I think standard philips h7 bulbs are rated at 750hrs.

Standard wagner h7 bulbs are rated for 550hrs, and the wagner h7 long life bulbs are rated at 1100hrs.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is a wide range of how long headlight bulbs are supposed to last, even between your standard replacement bulbs.

*Edit: Just checked, and wagner longlife h7 bulbs are only $3.64 each at rockauto, standard wagner h7's are $2.75 each, philips standard h7 $3.30 each. If you're sick and tired of replacing bulbs, I'd just pick up a pair of one of those. The standard wagner h7's have a slightly higher candlepower rating than the longlife's, as I would expect most standard bulbs to be slightly, slightly brighter than their longlife counterparts.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/subaru,2005,legacy,2.5l+h4+turbocharged,1430733,electrical-bulb+&+socket,headlamp+bulb,11701

Just one complaint about low power H7s....the headlights don't put out enough light to drive safely in the dark. I'll pay $36 for a pair of the Osram 65w bulbs to avoid having a deer as a hood ornament. My though on the short life is don't start your car with the headlights on or the park brake disengaged. Sending a surge through the bulbs cannot be helpful. And when installing new bulbs do not touch the glass surface.

My though on the short life is don't start your car with the headlights on or the park brake disengaged. Sending a surge through the bulbs cannot be helpful. And when installing new bulbs do not touch the glass surface.

I think that is a great point. And most likely, the more powerful bulbs would be more prone to failure with this scenario.

Archived