LegacyGT.com

RPM CCFL DDE Walk-Through

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It could've also just come loose. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

My fuse blew about a month ago. Haven't gotten around to replacing it yet though. Actually the whole fuse housing came apart a long time ago so I'm replacing it with a completely sealed unit which is sitting in my hallway at home next to the wire cutters and crimpers. I'm just too lazy to fix it right now.

It could've also just come loose. :)

I just talked to him over IM and it came loose :lol:

I forgot that my fuse did that same thing (came loose) when I first installed my halos. Quickly repaired with some hand pliers :)

finally got everything together DDE's. fully blacked head lights (bad chrome peel) and 6000k HIDs

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f145/rurouni_xgt/IMG_1179.jpghttp://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f145/rurouni_xgt/IMG_1183.jpghttp://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f145/rurouni_xgt/IMG_1180.jpg

About the chrome peel. I used green painters tape and I stuck each piece to my arm first to make the tape less sticky, and I still got a tiny bit of peel.

If I was to do this again I would use electrical tape. It comes off alot easier and is flexible for taping those rounded corners. Just a tip for future installers.

Also note that the ring around the low beam is alot more sensitive than the signal reflector.

• 1 month later...

^ That's what I thought, too.

But I swear on my mother's life, no, that's not the case - and that, furthermore, I've been condensation and water/moisture-ingress free for the past 3+ years, ever since I did this mod.

And no, I did not, ever, seal those holes. While small, the holes definitely allow more than just the diameter of the wiring to pass through. There's definitely some wiggle space. It's far, far from a true "re-seal."

I think that a part of the equation is that the hole actually helps to equilibrate in-housing vs. outside-housing moisture/temperature, or what have you, and that helps.

The key is to put the hole as far from area of potential water ingress as possible - the same as you'd want to do for the transformer, too, actually.

:)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, been reading all the DDE install threads I can find anywhere; planning to install as soon as I find a free weekend.

First I wanna thank Tsi+Wrx for making such a comprehensive guide to the install. I'm sure it will save me a lot of trouble when I finally do get to install these things.

So I had this weird idea for some reason to make a switch on the dash to connect to the LED's instead of hooking them up to my parking lights. I was wondering what kind of rating the toggle switch would need to have... I found some cheap ones that are rated for 12V 16A, would that be suitable?

Hey guys, been reading all the DDE install threads I can find anywhere; planning to install as soon as I find a free weekend.

First I wanna thank Tsi+Wrx for making such a comprehensive guide to the install. I'm sure it will save me a lot of trouble when I finally do get to install these things.

So I had this weird idea for some reason to make a switch on the dash to connect to the LED's instead of hooking them up to my parking lights. I was wondering what kind of rating the toggle switch would need to have... I found some cheap ones that are rated for 12V 16A, would that be suitable?

The switch will only be providing power to the relay coil, so you wouldn't even need 1 amp. In short, yes, that would be suitable.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It's been a long time since I've done this, so some details are foggy, but you only need to tap in on the passenger side. With the supplied harness, the trigger wire for the relay is on the end that goes all the way to the passenger side headlight. I'm sure you've already looked, but check out RPM's install thread. He talks about the "trigger wire" in post #1, in the second paragraph after the first picture.

The way a relay works is that it used a signal from some other source (in this case the marker light wire from the passenger side connected to post 85 or 86) to throw a switch that completes another circuit (in this case the power circuit for the DDE's between posts 30 and 87)

relaytext.gif.e4f7ed9cdd7b38929948df2179275c40.gif

Whenever there is a current between 85 and 86, it creates a connection between 30 and 87.

To conclude, you don't need to tap into any wires on the drivers side.

Sorry if I went off on a tangent...

It's been a long time since I've done this, so some details are foggy, but you only need to tap in on the passenger side.

^ That's me, too. :)

I don't remember ever having to do the driver's side......

Archived