LegacyGT.com

RPM CCFL DDE Walk-Through

AARRRGGH = me being frustrated.

I went through and checked the transformers. Swapped out the side and both transformers are good. That means the bulb is bad. WOW, the bulb worked for maybe 2 hours. I understand that stuff happens, it just really sucks when you work 4+ hours installing a product that goes tits up on you so quick.

I do appreciate RPMs concern and quick customer feedback. I am sure he will make this right, somehow.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm that sux, the only thing I can think is that when you epoxied them you did it in maybe 2 spots or a spot that created stress on the bulb and it cracked.....without a crack, maybe the wires go'n directly to the bulb.......did it get pulled or yanked?

Sorry man, it's really annoying

• 4 months later...

Nice work!

Question though - I read through everything and I didn't see a mention as to what the diameter of the ring was that you used. From part installs I have done I know that there are a bunch of falvors of 100mm rings out there for the BMW e46 2 door, and there are at least a few flavors of 120mm out there... and I have also seen a very few 80mm out there...

If you could share which size are in your pics I'd appreciate it. I will be doing a set of lights for my 36 hour-old GT in about 3 more weeks once I get all my parts together. Plan on:

Acura TL D2S projectors with the blue-band and forground mods

CCFL halos

ALL LED markers

I will do a write-up on the projector swap like I did when I made the first three sets of HID retrofits for Grand Cherokees. I think in this vehilce it will be a slam-dunk for a project.

Now all I need to do is hunt down about $500 worth of parts, and a second set of headlights to put on the car while I mod the new set. I like to take my time and play with them a bit - it also makes for a better write up when I can take my time and not have to worry about getting them done fast so I can drive to work the next day... ideally I want to find a way for people to be able to do these over a weekend if they so desire.

Looking forward to sharing here..

Drew

Hey bro,

I wish I knew - I'll try to get some approximate measurements from outside my housing lens, but it's been quite a while since I did this modification, and at the time, I did not bother to measure the CCFL diameter as this unit came as a pre-fitted/tested kit from the LGT.com associated vendor, "RPM."

That's unfortunately the best I can do, since the supplied freebie "extra" ring from my particular kit arrived broken due to shipping damage.

I am very eager to see your finished product! Your work is definitely on a whole scale different from mine - I'm just a hobbyist hack (as evident by my poor choice of epoxy, which has now "browned")... your level of detail and professionalism really makes me look forward to what you'll be bringing to the table in the next few weeks! :D

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Well, I managed to secure ONE 2005 headlight. Someone out sniped me on the EBay... so... I have ONE light on the way - but that is OK... I can put the 05 light on while I work on the 06 light - and do all my fitment on that one, so the other 06 will be quick. I can work with this...

I am getting pumped.

The painful part is going to be RIPPING apart the killer set I made for the Jeep. I would LOVE to find a buyer for them so they may live... BUT I doubt anyone would be able to afford them. Seriously. TL projectors alone are going at $375 a set on EBay... with ballasts and bulbs for those lights we are looking at $2K in parts roughly. Ouch! So yea, sadly... I think they are going to be "opened" and scavanged for CCFLs and TLs.

I was going to try to get more parts so they would live on... but the more I think about it... the more I don't see it as realistic. Oh well. Gotta break an egg or two to make an omlette, right? The little "fins" around the projector shroud might be pretty cool in this conversion - the potential to make the CCFLs "float" is there - if I can find the correct diameter to make it work. We'll see.... so many possibilities.

Don't worry if you don't have that diameter... I can eyeball measure - it would just have been a bit better if I knew the exact measurement. Do you remember what kit it was? Maybe I could ask the seller.

Cheers,

Drew

^ Didn't get a chance to measure yesterday - my apologies - had to rush to Kinkos and then to the PO to get some prints made for my father to take back to my grandmother in Taiwan, as he's leaving in about a week or so. :redface: Then baby-Anna decided to throw her fit (she's 7 months now, and trying to assert her independence...part of this is that she wants to put herself to sleep, and is now putting up a fight when I try to "rock" her to bed at night). :(

I'll have a chance to break-out the ruler this afternoon, though. :)

The kit was from the LGT.com-Vendor RPM. I don't actually recall any labeling on the package (or otherwise inside) that I received - not sure if this may have changed, though, as mine was among the first batch off an initial "group buy" here.

----

Damn, it's really too bad, Drew, that you're going to have to cannibalize.... Buit like you said, this kind of thing becomes a "toy" in and of themselves, and despite their obvious utility (and safety during night/inclimate weather driving), it's going to take quite a bit of time/headaches to wait/find that "one guy" buyer who might eventually come along.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Ha! I have a 7 month old also... I feel your pain brother!

Shockingly, I have had two people that are actually interested in the Jeep headlights... I may be ordering some new parts instead of ripping up the Jeep lights... that is "good and bad" I guess.

Hope that other housing I ordered gets here soon - I want to tear into these soooooo badly right now. It is like an itch that won't scratch.

Drew

Heya bruddah Drew,

Sorry for the late reply! I thought I'd posted here after the weekend - but I was wrong! Doh! :redface:

I couldn't get anywhere near a good measurement from outside the headlamp housing. the curvature of the lens buldge meant that I would have to do a "best approximation" from several inches out, and that, of course, would throw things completely out the window in terms of any resemblance of accuracy...

Sorry to say. :(

Hey - on the bright side, congrats on your new addition! :D Are we having fun, yet? :lol: We're in the process of baby-proofing right now. Anna's up to about "three Anna-lengths per-second" forward velocity! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

^ Not that bad at all. :)

If you've cleared headlamps via the "bake and shake" method before, then you're already more than half-way there in terms of technical proficiency.

And if you're not too bad at wiring, that takes care of yet another big chunk.

The only iffy component is the actual installation/placement of the rings - if you're using naked CCFL rings, this could take a bit of skill, but honestly, anyone who can be careful enough while manipulating good dinner crystal will be just fine with the install. "Reinforced" CCFL rings (with acrylic/plastic overlay) will make the job 10x easier.

Finally, using the right kind of epoxy or using another method to "bridge" the space between the ring and light housing is the last hurdle to a successful install. There's been a lot of discussion on this thread as well as others (search for the "Gialla" rings) on what to use and which techniques to employ.

:)

It's really not as difficult as it may look!

• 2 weeks later...

I did mine a hair differently. I used only the teeny tiny thin tubes from inside the big plastic tube (an xacto and a lot of patience and you can get it out... be careful!) I decided to do "double halo" on mine, using one larger and one smaller tube. I happened to have two sizes left over from other projects... and seeing as how the transformer will run 2 rings - why not... I like the way it turned out.

Here are some pics I snapped today after doing the pics of my 6 (yes, 6) HID setup. Check out the "fully independant fogs" post for pics of that:http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=788421

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/phisch13/LegacyHalo5.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/phisch13/LegacyHalo4.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/phisch13/LegacyHalo3.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/phisch13/LegacyHalo2.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/phisch13/LegacyHalo1.jpg

These things are WAY bright. I use them a lot in the morning and evening in lieu of just the parking lights, it adds a little more visibility for other cars to see you coming (on back roads mostly since I live not far from the boonies)

Hope you enjoy the pics.

Drew

^ Super sweet, bruddah! That's awesome, and definitely the first I've seen of the "target bullseye" setup! :D

I was going for the 3-D effect... kinda like a 50's era "ray gun" since that is what the escutcheons in the headlights reminded me of anyway!

Now.... if only I could incorporate a couple of green lasers into the housings that would shoot out....

^ :lol:

The effect is truly cool - that must look absolutely spectacular in-person.

And you've really described the "look" very well, I'd say! "50's era 'ray gun" FTW!!! :D

• 1 month later...
Guest subiecity
thanks for the write up im supposed to do mine this weekend along with sum new fogs..oinly difference is i have 4 rings totall i belive u have on 2 total right?

subiecity - Sorry for the late reply, been *very* busy!

Yes, I only installed the two, so I cannot say with any certainty what type of technical or spacial constraints you may or may not see in terms of installing four. I know that brother Drew installed a "bulls-eye" setup (one ring *inside* another), making for a total of four rings, but I don't seem to recall anyone having done a two-by-two, side-by-side, setup.

Be sure to read through the entire thread, though, as many others have contributed even better tips. Again, I'd like to highlight that had I to do this over again, I would most likely have used "black" colored epoxy or another type of temperature-stable epoxy, as the "clear" epoxy that I used has turned brown due to heat exposure.

My preferece for a really fast-curing/setting epoxy remains strong, though! :)

----

undert0e - I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "prefab kit?" Please expand......

Guest subiecity
thnaks tsi+wrx i actually was curios to how to real seal the headlights as long as i dont get any water or condensation in the headlights im happy

thnaks tsi+wrx i actually was curios to how to real seal the headlights as long as i dont get any water or condensation in the headlights im happy

If you are careful when you open them, you can re-heat them when you are ready to reseal and they should seal back up with no problems. If there are areas where you are "in doubt" add a little silicone caulk just to be safe - but for the record, mine resealed w/o any issues at all.

The epoxy I used to secure the ccfls was loctite brand. It has yellowed just a bit, but did not turn brown. I would go with the clear again - even if it does slightly yellow, I think it will look better than say "JB Weld" or something along that line.

Cheers,

Drew

Guest subiecity
yea def thanks i have plenty of silicone in all diference colors as well hmm maybe almond silicone lol prob just gonna go with clear

Archived