LegacyGT.com

RPM CCFL DDE Walk-Through

Addendum:

Some members here have complained about either the transformer/inverter box taking in moisture and causing shorts. This issue, to the best of my knowledge, had been addressed by RPM's supplier with revised design of the inverter casing.

I have not (yet) experienced the above problem - possibly due to the placement which I chose for my boxes.

Another complaint has been of moisture/water reaching the exposed pair of connectors (i.e. connectors for the second set of rings, which we do not use) leading from the inverter-to-DDE ring or that the same is taking place with the connector that's actually in-use.

I did experience this issue just a few weeks ago on my passenger's side unit.

It seemed that, again, my chosen positioning of the connectors had a lot to do with their weather exposure, and that in this particular case, although they were well-shielded from incoming moisture and precip., when I opened the hood, some rainwater must have hit precisely this area, causing a short.

My solution was simple - I just chopped off the connectors, and hard-wired. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finally installed the halos today w/ dv8ingvector's help. The halos look great; especially with the eyelids. The install is a big PIA. I wish I did it all at once when I installed my HID a while back.

I do have one problem though: One of the halos flickers after being on for about a minute; almost like when a florescent light with a bad ballast. I wonder what it could be.

I also did the fog light mod; using the independent version of the mod. I can put the fog lights on whenever the ignition is on. Halos are attached to the foglights.

I finally installed the halos today w/ dv8ingvector's help. The halos look great; especially with the eyelids. The install is a big PIA. I wish I did it all at once when I installed my HID a while back.

I do have one problem though: One of the halos flickers after being on for about a minute; almost like when a florescent light with a bad ballast. I wonder what it could be.

I also did the fog light mod; using the independent version of the mod. I can put the fog lights on whenever the ignition is on. Halos are attached to the foglights.

Loose connection??? That's all I can think, did you double check all the wires......

I gotta order up another set of the SpecB now....:icon_bigg

^ +1

Check and double-check your wiring, especially at the transformer/halo wiring connector junction.

:)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

^ That's what I got, actually, when my connections went sour. I ended up just snipping that connector and hard-wiring. :)

• 3 weeks later...
I will bet it's water getting on the connector. I'd check out the harness between the halos and the converter tonight. If it's water that gets on them the two connectors heat up and melt the small plastic harness. If that is the case, I would just pull the pins out the the small plastic harness and just connect the wires together seperately.

I will bet it's water getting on the connector. I'd check out the harness between the halos and the converter tonight. If it's water that gets on them the two connectors heat up and melt the small plastic harness. If that is the case, I would just pull the pins out the the small plastic harness and just connect the wires together seperately.

Bingo.......it rained a boatload here......def what happened. I thought you already hard wired the halo's in????

Bingo.......it rained a boatload here......def what happened. I thought you already hard wired the halo's in????

No, I'm waiting to pick up another set of headlights so I can put dual halos on em :icon_bigg . I have a pair wired up for dual, but they are not worthy for putting on the leggy. I've been test fitting a lot with them.

If anyone has some busted headlights left and right... I'll buy them with the plastic insert inside intact!!

Ok, I am getting frustrated with pin pointing this issue. First off by "hardwiring", do you mean connecting the red and blue wire (+ and -), or connecting the white wires together (not using the black pug)??

So, today I went through and tied the white wires together w/ no luck. I used my volt meter to tell that there is power going to the transformer, but still no halo after that. I am not sure what voltage I am supposed to get after the transformer??

My guess is it is the transformer. I cant think of anything else???

Yes, I tried connecting the white wires together. I did not touch the power and negative wires. I opened the black box to see if there was water in it and it looked and felt dry. I have it disconnected now until I get this resolved.

As for pictures. That would be tuff. I am pretty sure I hooked it up right. It is not rocket science. Red to red, brown to brown, white to white, white to white. And used the foglight for the relay. I use to install stereos and I am fairly effecient with electrical. But, I guess this one is kicking my ass.

P.S. We know it was hooked up right because it was working. Now its not.

Hmm... maybe running them while they were shorting out toasted the blackbox? Everytime I got water on my connectors I imediately disconnected them after discovering it and after they dried I reconnected them.

I believe the bulbs operate off of 300 volts at a very small current.

If you continue to have difficulties and are able to narrow down the problem to your inverter, let us know and we'll get you taken care of.

RPM FTW.........love you guys.......

Yeah man, if all the connectors are setup up correctly and they were work'n before........who knows what's up...you could aways switch the inverter from the good one to the bad one to see if it comes on, if so then you know 100% that it's the inverter....

^ +1 to both the sentiment for RPM and the inverter/transformer "switch" idea.

Sorry you're having such troubles, firedawgs! :(

Archived