LegacyGT.com

RPM CCFL DDE Walk-Through

jsalicru -

NP. ;)

I wanted to do my rings, first, before recommending that anyone go my route and use epoxy. I was afraid that I'd FUBAR, and that an "early recommendation" wouldland not only me, but more importantly, my fellow LGTers, in serious distress.

:)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rice mods need their own forum! :lol:

YOU need your own Forum! :lol::dm:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

^ Dude, I didn't notice that 'till just now..... Scary!

Guest *Jedimaster*
Yeah, just think- we're only moments from displacing each other in space-time! You'd show up at my house with a goatee and I'd show up at your house, um, without mine. :lol:

might i also suggest this it is much cheaper and comes in many colors

http://www.frozencpu.com/lit-08.html (blue)

http://www.frozencpu.com/lit-09.html (red)

http://www.frozencpu.com/lit-10.html (green)

it runs off of 12v so it would work in a car evn if it was intended for a pc

this might be another possability http://www.ultraproducts.com/product_details.php?cPath=15&pPath=35&productID=32

they are UV so they would glow purple like a blacklight they may take a little more modding than the kit made for the car but they are much cheaper if you don't mind the extra work i personally think the EL Wire is your best bet. Its dirt cheap you can get it in different colors and it can be flexed around as much as need be. hell if you had some extra on the end you could run it through under teh hood for a nice effect. just thought i would throw it out there if anyone trys this let me know i want to see how it turns out. i don't have the time or patients to do it myself unfortunately but maybe later i will try it

Unfortuantely, thegodfather, that's a cool suggestion, but I've tried EL-wire/string, and trust me, they were nowhere near bright enough....

:(

That's actually the previous "aborted project" that I spoke of/referenced above. It's why I ended up painting the "streaks" in my headlight housing.

Trust me, don't waste your money, it's nowhere near bright enough. Even that measly little turn-signal/parking-marker bulb produces enough light to easily outpower the EL-string.

If cheap is your desire, it's better, IMHO, to go with either a home-made or pre-fab'ed LED setup. With that, at least it is bright enough not to be overpowered by just the turn-signal/marker bulb!

------------

jedi, bro, my wife would *SO* freak out. :lol:

Guest *Jedimaster*
Unfortuantely, thegodfather, that's a cool suggestion, but I've tried EL-wire/string, and trust me, they were nowhere near bright enough....

:(

That's actually the previous "aborted project" that I spoke of/referenced above. It's why I ended up painting the "streaks" in my headlight housing.

Trust me, don't waste your money, it's nowhere near bright enough. Even that measly little turn-signal/parking-marker bulb produces enough light to easily outpower the EL-string.

If cheap is your desire, it's better, IMHO, to go with either a home-made or pre-fab'ed LED setup. With that, at least it is bright enough not to be overpowered by just the turn-signal/marker bulb!

------------

jedi, bro, my wife would *SO* freak out. :lol:

OH NOES!!! What's this big bald dude doing here? :lol:

Thanks for the input on the EL- I was THIS close to ordering some.

thegodfather and jedi -

NP on the EL-wire/string warning.

Yes, it's great for interior accents (if you don't go overboard ;) - I used just a single "wrap-around" to highlight the unlit window-control area on my DSM's armrests, looked great and was nice and subdued), as it is more than bright enough for that purpose....

I was highly disappointed when it totally did not work out for my exterior project.

Allen bro....hope you don't mind, I took your instructions and pics and put them in one printable word doc......I know for most of my installs when I don't know what I'm do'n I like to have it printed out (or the laptop in the garage....ah I love wireless).......thought the crew might like it.

So you've made the site baby ;)

HALO Install

http://www.pimpmyauto.com/installs.htm

I have monday off and should be installing then.......:D

AWESOME WORK MAN.....

Why would I mind, bro? :)

I'm flattered! Thanks! :D

Rained all this weekend.

Nothing torrential, but steady - always wet.

No fogging or wetness noted in the lenses. My chosen drill holes position seems, so far, to be doing well.

Will likely give Winky a bath mid-late this week. That should confirm things.

One slight note is that I would perhaps choose to go with "black" colored epoxy next time around, as the heat from the headlamps is causing my "clear" epoxy to turn yellowish. Not a big concern, since I used so little, but for those of you who are totally anal ;) , this might be a good thing to do.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Rained nearly all the time over the past week......

Also washed Winky on Saturday.

No fogging or other noted signs of water intrusion. This was even with my pressure-nozzle aimed directly at the light and surrounding areas during the wash.

Looks like the holes are drilled in an OK spot. :)

-----------------

Additioinal Install Tips

Be sure you get epoxy that sets super, super fast and carefully mix up the two so that they're 1:1 proportional. You don't want set-time to be much more than 3 minutes, and you'll want it to start to "gel" in well under 1 minute.

Mix up a few small practice batches so you get the timing right. Be sure to do it in a well ventilated area! :)

To build the "bridge," try practicing getting a small, circular "blob" of epoxy on the end of, say, a toothpick or a cut-in-half Q-tip. Take this little blob, carefully touch it down to a piece of paper, and then hold your stick/Q-tip only about two to three millimeters above the surface of the paper, allowing the epoxy to "gel" in-between the stick and the paper, forming a small bridge.

You'll then duplicate this technique onto your remaining CCFL tube end. This time, act fast to transfer a small blob of epoxy from your application stick to the end of the CCFL tube, and then in-turn use that end of the CCFL tube as the application stick, now forming a gel bridge between it and the headlamp housing.

As brother Dave ("waterdish") said, building the "bridge" is KEY, as there is going to be a gap between the CCFL tubes and your lens trim ring.

• 2 weeks later...

Well one light is done :D.......

Allen the Halo god......instructions - read them once GREAT help, perfectly written. The install is really easy, it's just intimidating....

I have only one note to add.

1) When tack'n down the actual halo ring to the light. Do NOT tack the halo's down with any tension (inward) on them. I sorta held them in a little bit so they sat tight around the light ring tight. Well I woke up and one had snapped......it's def all my fault as I wanted them as snug as possible.

Lesson learned...just tack them down as they are do not apply any inward tension when setting them.....

Another note, RPM is awesome, there products are awesome....top notch customer service! But we already knew that!

Thanks for the high compliment, brother Steve. :) I don't deserve it! :blush:

---

GREAT tip, BTW!

I never thought of that, but definitely, that's very important - thanks for the tip, once again, and sorry that you had to be the one to "pioneer" it, first-hand!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I finished the install of these last week for both lights, and they look great.

An additional tip:

I'm not sure what size rings everyone recieved, but the rings I have did not fit snug around the surround for the projector. There was a good 2mm gap all the way around. I used thin foam strips to make the halo centered itself around the housing and to hold it in place while the expoy dried.

1. Cut 4 thin pieces of foam. Make these pieces thin enough so that they hold the ring in place, but not produce a lot of pressure to push the rings outward.

2. Use a tooth pick to push the foam strips into position.

3. Position the halo where you want it, and double and tripple check all sides.

4. Drop the epoxy on the halo and let it cure.

5. Once the epoxy has set, you can remove the foam and now your halo is looking pretty.

I used epoxy on the top two points of the halo only. Even after the epoxy dried, the halo did flex a little if you simulated the headlight moving around (your car hitting a bump). If your driving and hit a bump hard enough, you could put stress on those two points and possibly break the rings (they feel that delicate). What I did is I took a small piece of foam and placed it just behind the very bottom part of the ring. It will help prevent it from trying to flex backward, but not forward. Hopefully that could help save a ring from breaking if you hit a bump.

I'm also working on a spare headlight that I have to get double halo rings on it. Hopefully I can get started on that next week.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah well I attemped this today, I am happy to say that the drivers side looks pimp. The passenger side, that's another story, I broke two of the bulbs... (my friend broke one) and .. I screwed up the headlight. So ... good thing ebay is my friend, I found a new passenger side headlight for cheap ... and have new bulbs on the way :( DOH! DOH! DOH! is all I can say!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived