LegacyGT.com

Is this a headgasket issue?

Came home Friday night, as I was pulling into the garage I noticed car was stuttering a bit when pulling forward and sounded strange. It was late and very cold so I left it for the night and checked the next morning to see if something was lodged underneath or had snow packed in the wheels, which wasn’t the case.

I started the car up, and heard a loud squeeling like a belt issue (had all belts replaced this summer, and water pump and thermostat). The engine started having some smoke coming out as well (!!!). I shut the car off, took a look under the hood, and saw my coolant reservoir was empty. My oil was also low, below the “low” dot.

Should I tow it to a mechanic, or do you think it’s something less severe? I topped off the coolant and oil but have been nervous to restart car. Is this a headgasket issue most likely? Was recommended I check for a white film in the oil fill cap but haven't been home to check.

Thank you very much in advance for any two cents that can be provided.

Hey Max, thanks for the reply.

I've actually had cardboard down under the car in the garage for a month now to detect a leak and it's been dry. I definitely think burping the coolant tank is in order, I've just been scared to start it back up.

I checked the oil last night. It took about 1/4 of a quart of oil to get it above the L line, so I don't think I was that low. Granted, not preferrable to be there, but still. Also, the oil is black, not milky.

I opened up the radiater cap, and while the coolant was overflowing or even flush with the top, I could see it in there recessed down a little bit. So, an air pocket sounds like it could definitely be a culprit (maybe not the entire culprit). Or is this normal, for the coolant to be a bit lower than flush?

I believe its normal to be a bite lower when its cold.

So what is the level of coolant in the overflow bottle ? Bring that to the fill when cold line and start the engine and let it warm up until the fans cycle once and see what happens.

May be jack up the right front corner and burp the turbo coolant tank.

Oh what's the level in that tank cold ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I believe its normal to be a bite lower when its cold.

So what is the level of coolant in the overflow bottle ? Bring that to the fill when cold line and start the engine and let it warm up until the fans cycle once and see what happens.

May be jack up the right front corner and burp the turbo coolant tank.

Oh what's the level in that tank cold ?

The overflow bottle was completely empty. I filled it last night but haven't turned the car back on so I don't believe any has gotten in there.

I've been nervous to start the car up since the squeeling and engine smoking. Afraid I'm going to pop something. Think it's safe to give it a try?

Check the belts for play, there should be may be a 1/4", they are easy to tighten up, use PB Blaster on the bolts if you need to adjust them. They may have stretched.

Fill the overflow... as to the cold line ?

Good Luck

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Is it squeeling constantly or just at start up?

Starters have been known to squeel in cold temps.

Also the smoke may just be condensation from the cold temps. My car definitely appears to put out more exhaust in the cold weather.

Does it smell like smoke or coolant?

how many miles on the engine?

this 5.5k check, do you only change oil? Do you check periodically, meaning at least every week?

Was the squealing the only reason you checked your oil? Because I think you have more than one issue at this point!! Excessive smoke is a sign of a blown piston ring/valve, or your block is leaking coolant/oil and burning off.

Headgasket issues come in many flavors!!! You have to understand that the head gasket most times has oil lines, coolant lines, and the pistons which it sections off. So depending on the gasket failure, you can have oil into coolant passage, coolant into oil passage, oil or coolant into cylinder. Depends on if its a line going or coming, pressure etc.

But if your changing your turbo engine oil every 6k and only checking if you hear noises then I think a hell of a lot more questions need to be asked!

I checked the oil last night. It took about 1/4 of a quart of oil to get it above the L line, so I don't think I was that low. Granted, not preferrable to be there, but still. Also, the oil is black, not milky.

I opened up the radiater cap, and while the coolant was overflowing or even flush with the top, I could see it in there recessed down a little bit. So, an air pocket sounds like it could definitely be a culprit (maybe not the entire culprit). Or is this normal, for the coolant to be a bit lower than flush?

I still wouldn't overlook the need of 1-2 quarts in 6k miles. Your burning enough oil where you need to check more frequently. I know it takes between 1/4-3/4 of a quart to top off when cold when around L for me, 1/2-1 quart for hot engine when topping off from L

Also the smoke may just be condensation from the cold temps. My car definitely appears to put out more exhaust in the cold weather.

The main thing that stuck with me was that he said it was on his way home at his house meaning the car must have been warmed up. The starter wouldn't matter until the next morning, after he saw his symptoms.

I guess the next question is how far was the trip to your house where you had the issues?

Check the belts for play, there should be may be a 1/4", they are easy to tighten up, use PB Blaster on the bolts if you need to adjust them. They may have stretched.

Fill the overflow... as to the cold line ?

Good Luck

Hey Max. Yes, the smoking issue, and subsequently realizing I had no coolant in the reservoir tank, I filled that up past the cold line.

I haven't been able to check the belts yet, as an added pain I'm house sitting this week and haven't had access to my car at home.

Well, I unfortunately can't tell you more beyond start up. Once I saw the smoke coming out of the engine, I shut it off and haven't restarted since. I do want to calrify, my smoke was from the engine bay, not the exhaust.

It actually smelled like burnt plastic. Perhaps from the belt squeeling?

Is there any liquid on the belts? That can cause them to squeak but so can them being loose. If coolant was that low it may be a good idea to do a pressure test.

I didn't see any liquid in the engine bay at all (coolant, oil). A pressure test is a good suggestion. Even if I get to the root cause, I'd still like piece of mind that the engine is OK.

If coolant were leaking into block/oil you would have your symptoms! Coolant loses to hot oil and metal!! Did you check your oil for coolant?

http://www.subaru-impreza.org/forum/engine-bay/53445-head-gasket-blown-symptoms.html

• no air bubbles showing in the filler tank - I took off radiater cap, there were no air bubbles. Coolant was a little bit below being flush from the top, maybe 1/2"?

• leaking radiator - Nothing is leaking fortunately. I saw no liquid in the engine bay, and I always park under cardboard to monitor, and there was nothing on it

• milkshake colored oil - Oil looks fine

• overheating - I didn't notice any overheating. I wouldn't say it's not possible, it's just not something I constantly monitor (which is bad, I know)

• rough running - Check, definitely, but only as I got on my street/pulled in the driveway. Was driving perfect up until then.

• coolant in oil or oil in coolant - Didn't notice, though tough to see the coolant.

• spark plug(s) that have a green tint (if green coolant). - No answer here, as we all know the plugs are a PITA to get to.

• white colored or sweet smelling exhaust. - Didn't smell anything out of ordinary from exhaust.

I checked the oil, it looks normal. Just the regular black ,no milkshake color or anything out of the ordinary.

Thanks for the link! I do have a few symptoms, thoug has it states you won't necessarily have all of them.

The main thing that stuck with me was that he said it was on his way home at his house meaning the car must have been warmed up. The starter wouldn't matter until the next morning, after he saw his symptoms.

I guess the next question is how far was the trip to your house where you had the issues?

Engine was definitely warmed up. It was about a 30 minute drive home, mostly highway.

I still wouldn't overlook the need of 1-2 quarts in 6k miles. Your burning enough oil where you need to check more frequently. I know it takes between 1/4-3/4 of a quart to top off when cold when around L for me, 1/2-1 quart for hot engine when topping off from L

Yes, I definitely suspect I'm burning some oil; however, it's never seemed to be too big of an issue for me as opposed to many members on here. I'm not sure if it's due to Rotella T6 or what. As menitoned, took 1/4 of a quart to fill above L. I added the rest of the quart in to bring it up to the top or there abouts. I usually will add some in between oil changes, but not much, 1/4 of a quart or a little more.

how many miles on the engine?

this 5.5k check, do you only change oil? Do you check periodically, meaning at least every week?

Was the squealing the only reason you checked your oil? Because I think you have more than one issue at this point!! Excessive smoke is a sign of a blown piston ring/valve, or your block is leaking coolant/oil and burning off.

Headgasket issues come in many flavors!!! You have to understand that the head gasket most times has oil lines, coolant lines, and the pistons which it sections off. So depending on the gasket failure, you can have oil into coolant passage, coolant into oil passage, oil or coolant into cylinder. Depends on if its a line going or coming, pressure etc.

But if your changing your turbo engine oil every 6k and only checking if you hear noises then I think a hell of a lot more questions need to be asked!

There is ~115k on the engine. I change both the oil and oil filter (Rotella T6 and Pureolater PureOne PL14610 (the longer one).

I fully take blame that I'm negligent on checking the oil regularly. I'll check it maybe once in between oil changes. I've been forutnate not to burn much oil in the past.

The squeeling was the only reason that I checked. :redface:

I think there are a lot more questions that need to be asked here!!!

I'm happy to answer any you may have.

Tehnation and 08SpecB and Max thanks alot for all the help so far, I really appreciate the community lending a hand in helping me to diagnose what happened.

Remember to check the belts before starting and make sure they are not lose or a pulley is not frozen.

If you can, have someone else start it while your looking at the engine.

Have you changed your timing belt? Have you inspected the crank pulley? They tend to go around that point if not sooner.

Burning plastic smell, only thing on the block that's plastic are parts of the radiator and the engine timing belt cover. When my pulley went it took out my timing belt cover with it. Also check the bottom plastic piece that covers the bottom of the engine bay.

Remember to check the belts before starting and make sure they are not lose or a pulley is not frozen.

Max, good idea. I'm hoping to get over to the house today to take a look.

Have you changed your timing belt? Have you inspected the crank pulley? They tend to go around that point if not sooner.

Burning plastic smell, only thing on the block that's plastic are parts of the radiator and the engine timing belt cover. When my pulley went it took out my timing belt cover with it. Also check the bottom plastic piece that covers the bottom of the engine bay.

I'd also inspect the radiator make sure its not leaking, maybe your water pump? If you haven't done a timing belt/water pump change at 115k, I'd definitely inspect that as well.

I changed the timing belt and the water pump and thermostat this past summer (as well as the other belts). Was hoping for no problems for a while!

I don't believe anything is leaking, only due to putting cardboard down under where I park the car and not noticing anything on it.

The bottom cover meaning the one that has the "cover" to get to the oil filter? Mine is actually a bit warped the opposite way, towards the ground, but it's a good suggestion, I'll take a look.

Glad to know what parts are plastic to specifically look for. I'll inspect them all.

Thats your best bet, not seeing any real evidence makes it all a guess game. Try to zero in on area where noise is coming from and take it from there.

But I would inspect the crank pulley before starting! Make sure its not starting to separate! It has an inner and outer piece that splits over time.

Yes that bottom cover. Make sure that isn't just collecting all the fluid!! Pull that out inspect it and then put the cardboard underneath!

Thats your best bet, not seeing any real evidence makes it all a guess game. Try to zero in on area where noise is coming from and take it from there.

But I would inspect the crank pulley before starting! Make sure its not starting to separate! It has an inner and outer piece that splits over time.

Yes that bottom cover. Make sure that isn't just collecting all the fluid!! Pull that out inspect it and then put the cardboard underneath!

Can I just remove the bottom cover all together permanently? It's pretty deformed as is.

That large bottom engine cover helps air flow through the tmic by creating a low pressure area at the rear of the engine.

I'd leave it on for normal driving.

Archived