LegacyGT.com

Is this a headgasket issue?

That's a personal question! :lol:

I haven't had mine on in years, my car is a problem child and I'm always working on it. Putting it on and off was a pita.

That large bottom engine cover helps air flow through the tmic by creating a low pressure area at the rear of the engine.

I'd leave it on for normal driving.

Sounds like I need to just replace it with one that isn't broken. I'm not much of a mechanic so I'm not down there working on it much outside of oil changes. I'm already going to have a tough time getting to the belts I'm sure!

With basic tools the belts are pretty easy to tighten or replace. Make sure you spray the bolts with PB Blaster before you try and loosen them.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I agree with tehnation. I would check your crank pulley and make sure it is flat like the ones in the first link below

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/remove-install-crank-pulley-123466.html

and not like the crank pulley shown in the link below.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/23706-my-crank-pulley-ate-my-timing-belt-cover.html

I definitely wouldn't have thought pulley. Thank you guys for the help on this, it really helps having people bounce ideas around.

I am finally done house sitting tomorrow so I'm hoping to start tinkering with it Saturday. I'll keep you guys updated!

UPDATE: I pulled the cover off and took a look at the pulleys and everything actually looked good. I couldn't see much in terms of a leak anywhere either. Started the car and got the same squeeling and smoke. We were able to locate it in the engine bay as the turbo! Looks like I will unfortunately need a turbo replacement, but it beats a headgasket as the silver lining. Hopefully that's all that's wrong. Now to call the dealership for a VF40 replacement.

That's just the beginning! Make sure whoever is fixing properly inspects the blown turbo, if pieces are in your oil things can get fubared! All the pieces for the turbo need to be accounted for otherwise assume its in ur engine! To be safe its best to drop your oil pan and inspect it for metal shavings!

That's just the beginning! Make sure whoever is fixing properly inspects the blown turbo, if pieces are in your oil things can get fubared! All the pieces for the turbo need to be accounted for otherwise assume its in ur engine! To be safe its best to drop your oil pan and inspect it for metal shavings!

OK thanks, good tip. Is this still recommended if the turbo didn't actually blow [catastrophic failure]? Looks like it failed, perhaps by oil line failer (banjo filter clog maybe?).

I searched this but I want to confirm, it's VF46 for my 08 2.5GT correct?

Don't go to the dealership for that part.

Call one of the trusted vendors, I got my vf52 the next day from www.AZPinstalls.com

JmP6889928 is who we now send members to for turbo's or rebuilds.

You'll need a tune for a 52 but if your engine is good, you'll be very happy with a vf52 on stock fueling.

When the turbo is removed you'll need to see how much it hit the housing.

Here's mine http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/142-000-miles-oem-turbo-168561.html

I had no metal in the oil.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I'm not familiar with dropping the oil pan as I've read others suggest doing, but I am going to send my oil in to Blackstone to see if they're picking up any metal (suggested by a guy on NASIOC). Hopefully no shortblock failure.

I'm hesitant to get into retuning the engine, as I am more geared towards reliability than power. Although if it works out dollar wise to be cheaper, I'm for it!

Thanks for the suggestion, I PM'ed JMP.

Your so close to one of the best if not the best Tuner for these cars, it would be a shame not to have him make you car run better.

www.tuningalliance.com my wagon is amazing to drive. Its so much fun.

In fact Mike lived in W.Springfield when he first tuned the car, we met at the McDonalds on Riverdale rd, he lived a few minutes west of there. He's in Vernon CT now just off exit 65 on rt84. You can have him do a conservative tune just to keep the engine safe.

Max, thanks for the tip! I had no idea. It sounds like I should tune this thing for reliability if not for a little power bump.

I have more updates. The turbo issue may not be a turbo isuse. Turns out the CV boot has a tear in it, and grease was splashing onto the catalytic converter. I'm not sure if this could be a reason for the white smoke, as it was smoking off a cold start. In addition, the clutch is shot and is the reason for the screaming/squeeling I was hearing. Not sure if that would also cause any smoke or not.

I'm going to replace the clutch and CV axle and go from there. I do remember seeing some white smoke coming out the exhaust which wouldn't be a symptom of either of those problems, but that might have been due to just starting the car up.

It's difficult diagnosing everything!

I talked to a turbo shop owner last night and he was very informative and helpful. He mentioned the problem being oil supply to the turbocharger, and even if I replace the turbo there is no guarantee a new one won't blow immediately after if the oil supply isn't figured out. Recommended new oil lines and an oil pump.

I'm now really hesitant on keeping this car. I never wanted to sell it but may fix it and trade it in. I rely on a mechanic to fix the car, so the reliability past 120k has me leery (and I thought Subaru's were pretty reliable cars!!!).

Oil starvation is mainly due to banjo bolt and ocv on passenger side of engine, the cylinder head which feeds the turbo.

If that banjo hasn't been inspected in 115k miles it may be clogged which would lead to oil starvation for turbo. If your ocv is shot it will also lead to oil starvation

Most people just remove banjo bolt!

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2-5gt-turbo-oil-supply-banjo-bolt-filter-removal-62371.html

And for improved oil line. The industry standard infamous performance turbo oil feed kit!

http://www.infamousperformance.net/ipt/infamous-performance-turbo-oil-feed-lines/iptavkv2sub2/i-2118913.aspx

Non turbo Subaru's are the more reliable ones, turbo Subaru's are reliable if you keep everything in optimal condition!

Where in Springfield are you ? My trusted mechanic is in Somersville CT. I would take it to him before anyone else. Rich at Colonial Tire & Brake 860 749 7899. He's on rt190 at the end of rt186/Hall Hill Rd. I grew up on Hall Hill.

His Tech Joe is the one that works on my cars. Talk with Rich, tell him Byron sent you.

I'm still running the stock oil feed line with the banjo filter removed. You don't need to replace the oil pump unless there's metal in the oil.

When Joe drops the tranny to replace the clutch, the down pipe will be off and he can check the turbo for shaft play.

When that CV grease gets burnt off if smells pretty bad.

I got my OEM smfw and Spec 2+ clutch from "Underdog" pm him and ask him what he recommends for you.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE!

Car is back up and running! It turns out it was only a clutch and the ripped boot on the CV axle. Replaced the CV Axle and put in a OEM Exedy clutch kit. No more smoke from engine, runs quiet and smooth!

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm relieved it wasn't anything worse. I love this car and after reading about the turbo issues, I'm 50/50 on keeping it a few more years knowing there's going to likely be $$$ invested or trading it in for a Focus ST. If I keep it, I will follow your advice Max and get tuned. I will also replace the oil lines!

You don't need to replace the oil lines. 07-09 seem to be fine with the banjo filters because they are vertical. IMO they rinse out every time you shut the engine off. Unlike the horizontal ones in the 05-06.

Ask us before you spend your money or do anything to the car.

You don't need to replace the oil lines. 07-09 seem to be fine with the banjo filters because they are vertical. IMO they rinse out every time you shut the engine off. Unlike the horizontal ones in the 05-06.

Ask us before you spend your money or do anything to the car.

Thanks Max. I owe you a beer one day!

Forgot to mention, I had my mechanic take out the banjo bolts to inspect the filter. He said there was a little crud on them but nothing bad, so he cleaned them off and re-inserted.

Archived