LegacyGT.com

Takata airbag recall now includes 2005-2008 Legacy and Outback

WraithAkaMrak

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We got 05LGT and 05OB done recently on separate occasions. They absolutely are pulling the dash. OB came out with no scratches at all, my LGT had one slight mark on inner side of instrument cluster visor. You can't really see it unless you know where it is and get close. I don't see it from the driver's seat because it is blocked by the steering wheel.

I decided not to stink about it, I know the dealer for quite some time and they helped me number of times. Life is long, pick your battles and so on - just as described below.

There was an interesting issue with my LGT* in regards to this recall. I originally scheduled an appointment over the phone and all 4 of our Subies are in their system, so the tech just asked which one of 2 05's we have I am bringing in. The morning I arrive with it a different guy starts putting it in the computer for the work and then tells me the recall was already done on this car and there is nothing to do. Long story short, their system shows the recall was done on this VIN sometime in spring, different dealer ID and mileage recorded on the car is way off, to the tune of 3 years of my driving.

I had to take the car back, opened a case with SOA, and waited until SOA sorted things out. Took them about a week. Then the LGT was scheduled again and went through recall rework.

Apparently some other dealer made a mistake and put VIN of my LGT in the system. I caught it pretty much by a chance. But this makes me extremely worried about buying any used car that went through similar recall - based on my experience even if the dealer database is showing that the recall was performed it actually may not be entirely correct.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Do you still have to have mailed recalled paper note, about the air bag, just possibly may have lost it. Is it still necessary to have for them to replace?

No the dealer will have a list of all the recalls that haven't been done on your car.

My dealer did not pull the dash and I watched them do it. Pretty slick what they did. I wrote about it in previous post. Too bad for those that don't have smarter technicians :)

I wonder if they get paid by SOA as if they did pull the dash. If the do, pretty smart of them. Get lots of extra $$ for this.

Well, got my car back late Wednesday night. Dash looks good no issues there.

However, I just got this car and on the way back from the dealership I filled up the tank for my first time. Fast forward to Friday morning when I open the garage.. I now have leaking gasoline from in front of the rear right wheel.

I got the airbag recall and the brake corrosion recall.

I contacted the person I bought the car from and they said they had the car in a garage recently with a full tank and no leaks.

Now the part I wish I didn't do yet because I'm not sure if this could cause it but I installed a cobb accessport Thursday night after the car sat in the garage that day(I drove my other car to work). I installed the cobb accesport thursday night no issues(car is stock used 93 oct stage 1 map) I didn't drive the car Thursday night. But when I isntalled the Cobb accessport I remember smelling faint gasoline but not alot and thought nothing of it.

Friday morning I open the garage to a puddle of gasoline and strong odor.

Not sure if subaru screwed it up doing the brake recall or if the cobb install caused the leak, it says the test mode will cycle the fuel pump...could this cause leaking?

But my dash looks great!......

However, I just got this car and on the way back from the dealership I filled up the tank for my first time. Fast forward to Friday morning when I open the garage.. I now have leaking gasoline from in front of the rear right wheel.

Now the part I wish I didn't do yet because I'm not sure if this could cause it but I installed a cobb accessport Thursday night after the car sat in the garage that day(I drove my other car to work). I installed the cobb accesport thursday night no issues(car is stock used 93 oct stage 1 map) I didn't drive the car Thursday night. But when I isntalled the Cobb accessport I remember smelling faint gasoline but not alot and thought nothing of it.

Not sure if subaru screwed it up doing the brake recall or if the cobb install caused the leak, it says the test mode will cycle the fuel pump...could this cause leaking?

The Cobb AP didn't cause your fuel leak. It is most likely you have a corrode fuel line that was almost ready to leak that was disturbed when they performed the brake line recall.

I had a similar situation when I was rebuilding the rear suspension (on an older car similar aged car). I bumped the fuel line while loosening a bolt and started it start to leaked on the returned line. I did a temporary repair while I was doing that I bumped the feed line which caused that to start leaking. I had to replace that section of the fuel line assembly.

Well, got my car back late Wednesday night. Dash looks good no issues there.

I contacted the person I bought the car from and they said they had the car in a garage recently with a full tank and no leaks.

But my dash looks great!......

I had the same symptom it turned out to be the fuel pump housing cracked. It would leak when the tank was full. I replaced it, I think there has been success epoxying it.

I had the inflator replaced in the 05 sedan today, took about 3 hours once they got started. There is a few scars on the drivers side of the plastic piece below the dash pad. The mechanic said that he has to pull the dash because there is a part that has to be added after removing the actual bag. Mine was the second he had done that day, there was 4 more in line.

This is weird. My was done in 45 minutes and no dash removal at all :lol:

Wonder what else it was that he said needed added? Does it show on your service invoice?

I don't know what the other piece was. The computers were down, there was not any paperwork generated all day. I ask about the sticky dash inspection after the air bag was done and was told that it was done. I have my doubts about that.

The mechanic was 3 knuckles deep into a dash removal when I was talking to him and I choose to end the conversation rather than annoy him further before he started on my car.:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Bumping this thread as I now have an appointment scheduled with the local dealership to have my passenger airbag replaced.

For the most part, the car hasn't seen the inside of a dealership since I bought it 9 years ago, except for once when I had to have a new immobilizer key added to the ECU.

Does anyone have information on the exact procedure for the airbag replacement? Whether or not it necessitates removal of the dash?

I'm concerned, as I have two Defi's in the cubby pod that I'd prefer they don't touch.

I had mine replaced a couple weeks ago. I see no evidence of them removing the dash.

Dust wasn't even disturbed on the top of the dash. Only evidence that anything was done at all is that the tech left a trim removal tool in the glovebox. Yes, I returned it...ha ha. I already have one.

Had my air pump relay recall done at the same time.

• 4 months later...
TOKYO — Takata, the troubled Japanese airbag maker, is moving to file for bankruptcy protection as soon as next week in preparation for the company to sell itself to a rival, a person briefed on the matter said on Friday.

Any such move has long been expected, as the company faces billions of dollars in liabilities stemming from the recall of millions of its airbags, some of which have burst violently, causing deaths and injuries.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/16/business/dealbook/takata-bankruptcy-key-safety-airbags.html?_r=0

453747.png

• 3 weeks later...

Be careful when working around these death bags, looks like a man was killed while working on a 2001 accord and the airbag exploded

http://jalopnik.com/man-killed-by-takata-airbag-while-working-on-a-honda-1796810807?

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK