LegacyGT.com

Official Interest In COBB Flex-Fuel for the Legacy GT Platform - Please speak up

cryo

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yea it looks like that’ll be my only other option.

Cryo replies to my email yesterday. Cobb is looking into the 3 vs 5 pin harness issue. Hopefully it doesnt delay things too much for us 07-09 guys.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

Yea it looks like that’ll be my only other option.

Cryo replies to my email yesterday. Cobb is looking into the 3 vs 5 pin harness issue. Hopefully it doesnt delay things too much for us 07-09 guys.

yup, gotta love it....:spin:

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

Yea it looks like all of the Subaru 5p connectors are pinned the same.

Thanks for the links to I ordered a new sensor-side to replace the one I clipped.

I've not heard anything from Cobb about the Spec B connections for the kit.

Did Cobb give you any feedback Cryo?

They tend to tell the big fish about these things first when this stuff gets done.

I want to get the kit but if it is not going to be available any time soon, I'll switch over to getting an external waste gate up and down pipes setup for Xmas instead.

I've not heard anything from Cobb about the Spec B connections for the kit.

Did Cobb give you any feedback Cryo?

They tend to tell the big fish about these things first when this stuff gets done.

I want to get the kit but if it is not going to be available any time soon, I'll switch over to getting an external waste gate up and down pipes setup for Xmas instead.

What is magically different about your specb that the lgt kit does not work?

The 07-09 Spec.B has a 5 pin TGV connector. The standard 05-09 LGT has a 3 pin TVG connector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Incorrect.

This is for all TURBO 4th gen and does not vary by trim level. Spec B and LGT use the same TGV. There are two types of TGV connector.

05-06 = 3 pin

07-09 = 5 pin

5pin vs 3pin, anyone with a 5pin (07-09) LGT OR spec B should wait to order till the new kit is released soon. No ETA but soon......thats all I know so far :(

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

Does the spec.B have a different set of components in the fueling system department, too? Different FPR or something?

No. Transmission, suspension, interior.

So, its not that the SpecB is special, its that Cobb messed up and did not realize there are two types of TGV connector? Seriously??? Thats a MAJOR F up. But par for the course for the Corporate Conglomerate Cobb. Let the end users perform all the QC and beta testing. Any mechanic who is familiar with Subies should know there are multiple connector types.

Edited by m sprank

So, its not that the SpecB is special, its that Cobb messed up and did not realize there are two types of TGV connector? Seriously??? Thats a MAJOR F up. But par for the course for the Corporate Conglomerate Cobb. Let the end users perform all the QC and beta testing. Any mechanic who is familiar with Subies should know there are multiple connector types.

Msprank - Why do you continue to be negative in this thread? Does your post serve as ANY type of info for benefit to the forum that is not already stated above? Your distaste and bitterness with COBB for some reason is well noted by now after three years of it in this thread.....

I 100% agree this should have been caught ahead of time and for that they are to blame. That is not in question as of now, its how they handle it with customers that already made purchases. It may cause an issue or two for some but most will not be effected by the delay. Did you purchase a kit? Is this effecting you personally? Have you seen anyone post that it caused them major issues or that they lost money due to this issue? I guess those are the things that make me think "MAJOR F up vs a simple manufacturing mistake"

They tried to rush the release to allow their dedicated customers a discount for the one time of the year they issue a "sale" and it backfired on them. Maybe next time they will wait as I'm sure all the people that saved 10% on thier 05/06 kits and 10-12kits are pretty happy they released it when they did. My customers are still getting it at the 10% off price BECAUSE they purchased during the sale even though the kits will reship when they are ready.....Sometimes the cure to a mistake is good customer service to fix the issues.

* They are working on it and getting it fixed but currently its supported for the 05/06 and the 10-12 lgt and 05-08 foresters, thats pretty cool to support 5 out of 8 years for LGT support for an "initial release" with some bugs to figure out for the other years.

I dont live and die by COBB and I am not a spokesperson by any means, just a vendor and at the end of the day a customer, but I will say that since they are only one of a small amount of companies with constant support and development who have allowed us to make huge strides in the subaru tuning via the stock ecu, its hard to not let them make a mistake every once in a while too....

Did this put pie on their face and ours as suppliers...absolutely....BUT....The fact of the matter is its a simple fix which they are working on for a product you swore to this community for years would never be produced....please feel free to enjoy and participate in the conversation but please take your negativity elsewhere.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

3 years of developement and they failed to realize there is more than one connector. This means no one ever looked under a hood. No one ever test fit the kit. So it has not been tested in car.

I made a valid point for those who waited 3 years and are dropping 1k.

You are assuming again. The hardware shipped was not tested on all models, the hardware/software tested was used on various models....for testing.....yes they made a mistake.

The "3 year" wait was not all spent developing, you and i both know that. Other projects were more important from a business standpoint.

You act like the customers are not getting what they paid for in the end, again customer service prevails as you should know.

I respect your opinion but obviously we dont have the same point of view which is fine.

Dave

Edited by cryo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As for fuel system differences, yes there are some. The fuel pump control system uses thicker wire, and uses the sti fuel pump controller. As mentioned in an earlier post, the reason that B's cannot use the lgt platform stems from the fact that its connectors are a mix of the five and three pin interconnects. Additionally as was addressed, the limited run of that particular variant push it to the back of the line for this early rollout.

Hell I don't mind the wait. I'm just happy we are getting it at all. If it turns out that I have to cobble together interconnects and eschew the warranty then my used to work on a sub nuclear reactor butt will just have to deal with it and get my e85 on.

Having seen what an e85 tune can do when the percentage is way off while under high boost, I'm not going to play with corn again without something faster to adjust than I can.

Just satin'.

I also deem the P and L fuel rail and regular kit to be the most complete system I've yet seen; so I'll be all in on that one for my upcoming birthday gift to me. I'll see how that meshes with the e85 kit on the back end of course.

Cryo...., I just might pack up the wife and get a limp tune after this rebuild just to drive down from Chicago and have you tune the B up.

I will add that one benefit to the spec b over the outback and quite possibly the legacy gt is the size of the wire feeding the fuel pump from the fuel pump relay and also from the control module to the pump.

We verified while doing the fuel pump mod that the spec B does have the same size/gauge wire as the STI. This allows you to drop in a pump and not really have to do anything because there is not a voltage drop.

On the OBXT and possibly the legacy GT the wire is so small you get a voltage drop to the pump and because of this the pump may not put out the amount of flow per pump manufacturers.

On my outback I had switched to a relayed feed to a STI control module and larger wire to the pump. A few threads about this.

On my 2013 STI and also Zero1 spec b we found the wiring to be larger than the standard legacy/OB

The wiring seemed to be the same on the spec b and the STI

If you are running E85 you will want the wiring feeding the pump to the gauge necessary to allow whatever voltage your aftermarket pump requires for full flow.

This will keep injector duty cycles down.

Underdog did the final thread and provided the latest wiring diagram to use that does not drain the battery after many of us had done much work with this....

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fpcm-wiring-upgrade-relay-staying-switched-w-key-off-242295.html

For reference here is a link to the voltage requirements for the AEM pump usually provided with the cobb flex fuel kit, AEM 320/340

https://www.aemelectronics.com/products/fuel-delivery/high-flow-fuel-pumps/320lph-high-flow-in-tank-fuel-pump-offset-inlet

Greg

Edited by Scooby2.5

• 2 weeks later...

I posted a question regarding the 3 pin vs 5 pin connectors on their site and have yet to get a response.

I've purchased a kit through TiC and they are being less than helpful even though I've alerted them to these issues others have encountered.

I am still awaiting news, once they are available I will ship the kits owed to the customers needed. The moment I know, you guys will too!

Thanks for your patience.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]