LegacyGT.com

Fog as DRL

Problems:

-If you convert to LED high beams, you cannot flash your lights at people during the day when DRLs are on.

-If you do the 9005 to 9011 mod many on the Outback forum have done you must disconnect the DRLs as it'll kill those bulbs real quick, which leaves no lights on during the day.

-If you go HID for high beams the DRLs must be disconnected as running them at reduced power isn't good, which again leaves no lights during daytime.

-There is no way to run just the fog lights in our cars.

Solution:

Make the fog lights your DRL.

Summary:

This setup works by using four 5-pin relays, one at both high beams and both fog lights. 5-pin relays have both a default/normally closed current path as well as a secondary/normally open one. Activating the coil switches between these two paths, compared to a 4 pin relay which only switches one path on. By splitting the high beam power into a normally closed (to fog lights) and normally open (to high beam) path, triggered by low beam activation, the DRL can be separated out from normal high beam. Then down by the fog lights, the relay is used to switch between inputs - normally closed (DRL) and normally open (fog light) - also triggered by the low beam.

Benefits:

-Can use LED high beams while retaining the ability to flash your lights and no worries of glare to oncoming drivers due to lack of dimming.

-Can upgrade to 9011HIR or HID bulbs without disconnecting DRL due to shortened life if left connected.

-Looks better having all upper lights off.

-Can run fogs only by switching to parking lights.

Parts Needed:

4x 5-pin relay (this comes with 5) www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RWV470O?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

*If you don't want to cut up the car's wiring harness:

1x H11 extension (2 for most people as I tapped into my HID wiring) Amazon.com: CUTEQUEEN TRADING 2PCS H11 / H8 Wiring Wire Connector Plug Wire Connector Plug (PACK OF 2): Automotive

1x 9005 extension Amazon.com: iJDMTOY 9005 9145 HB3 H10 Heavy Duty Ceramic Wiring Harness Sockets For Headlights or Fog Lights: Automotive

*Note that these connectors aren't sealed in the back. A little silicone fixes that although higher quality ones probably come with seals.

A few feet of wire. My supply is running low so I purchased the following:

Red Amazon.com: Coleman Cable 16-1-16 16-Gauge 24-Foot Automotive Copper Wire, Red: Home Improvement

Black Amazon.com: Coleman Cable 16-1-11 16-Gauge 24-Foot Automotive Copper Wire, Black: Home Improvement

Tools Needed:

Wire stripper

Soldering iron OR crimp tool + crimp connectors OR both

Small flatblade screwdriver

Electrical tape or heat shrink

Wrench/socket for grounding bolts

The Build/Install:

Although this could be made off of the car and later installed, I think it'd be much easier to make and install it all at once.

Step 1: Remove front end

http://i.imgur.com/8wAczJ7.jpg?4

Once clips are removed, pull outwards from each fenderwell. There are clips along the metal/plastic gap as well as below the headlights. Disengage them on both sides, then the front should remove freely. Don't forget to disconnect fog lights.

Step 2: Make splitter harnesses

http://i.imgur.com/qMSoJ9G.jpg?1

Fog light (pictured) - original fog (+) goes to yellow, new fog connector goes to red.

High beam - original high beam (+) goes to red, new high beam connector goes to yellow.

*Make two of each of these as they're needed for each side.

Step 3: Extend remaining three wires to reach their respective locations

Blue - must reach other blue wire on the same side. ~12"

White - must reach low beam connector location ~18"

Black - must reach a ground location ~6" (I used the horn mount screw for both sides)

Step 4: Mount relays

http://i.imgur.com/vK8t8VN.jpg?1http://i.imgur.com/wWAiylC.jpg?1

High beam: driver's side - passenger's side

Mounted with 3M tape to side of headlight housing.

Fog light: driver's side (not pictured) ziptied to wiring harness in that area - passenger's side

http://i.imgur.com/kwLEMXn.jpg?1

Best pic I could get by holding my phone down in there aiming as best I could in the right direction...:lol: you get the idea, it's taped to the frame.

Step 5: Connections

http://i.imgur.com/l6BywSL.jpg?1

White board diagram says it all:cool:

*Note: green represents white wire on the relays

Since the light connectors are already attached, it's just a matter of connecting the blue wires together to complete the lighting portion. Since the DRL normally shuts off to make the turn signal more visible, a wire must be run along the top of the grille and tapped into the blue wire of both sides to make them connected in parallel and therefore prevent one from shutting off upon turn signal activation.

Then ground the lower relays to the horn bolts and upper relays to wherever you see fit or to the horn as well. Finally, connect the white wires for each side to one another and tap into the low beam for that side (or use another H11 extension to prevent tapping into the factory harness).

Now plug in the high beam and fog light connectors to their proper locations.

Step 6: After testing all lighting functions to ensure everything works properly, re-install front end. It's easier to get it lined up if you have two people but it can be done by yourself.

Done!! Your fog lights will now function as DRLs, and high beams will only run as high beams, nothing else. Steering responsive fog lights remain active and when low beams are on fogs can be switched like normal. Go ahead and upgrade your high beams without worry of shortened high output or HID bulb life, or blinding drivers during the day with un-dimmed LEDs. This is a much better solution than simply unplugging DRLs, which are indeed a safety feature!

All said and done I spent close to 8 hours on this mod. Now that I know what I'm doing it'd easily be doable in 1/2 or 1/3 of that. Most of the time is spent soldering and sealing up connections.

Feel free to share any thoughts or questions.

Hey, i was looking into the cutequeenwire connector is no longer available and possibly a few other items

Hey, i was looking into the cutequeenwire connector is no longer available and possibly a few other items

Any H11 and 9005 extention will work, the links were provided more for example to show what's being used. The relays are for sure still available as I just bought some:cool:

• 1 month later...

Very nice write up on a very cool mod. One of these days I will be upgrading to Silverstar ZXE bulbs and I plan on doing the Fog light DRL mod.

I actually love to re-wire fogs as DRL's. I have done so with my 98 Mustang Cobra and 02 Ford Escape. Now I can do the same on the Legacy.

Very nice write up on a very cool mod. One of these days I will be upgrading to Silverstar ZXE bulbs and I plan on doing the Fog light DRL mod.

I actually love to re-wire fogs as DRL's. I have done so with my 98 Mustang Cobra and 02 Ford Escape. Now I can do the same on the Legacy.

If you really want an upgrade, check out Morimoto Type T XB LED Fogs. It's a complete housing, so you get a nice crisp cut off line with great output. Got mine off Amazon for ~$170!

• 4 weeks later...
Can I still buy conversion harness?

I'm with you. While I am pretty electrically savvy, I'd prefer to let someone who has done it before and knows what they are doing handle make the harnesses.

andrew_l_s, are you still offering to sell and make kits? I would definitely be interested.

thanks.

I'm with you. While I am pretty electrically savvy, I'd prefer to let someone who has done it before and knows what they are doing handle make the harnesses.

andrew_l_s, are you still offering to sell and make kits? I would definitely be interested.

thanks.

I'm in...are you still making them and how much $$?

He's definitely still making them. He just made mine a month ago. Takes a couple weeks though because he orders all the parts on Amazon, then makes and ships them out.

Thanks. I will wait a bit to see if he notices the updates in this thread, then send him a PM. I'm in no rush so it's all good.

Thanks. I will wait a bit to see if he notices the updates in this thread, then send him a PM. I'm in no rush so it's all good.

Have you upgraded your fog lights at all? I ask because there's a group buy going on now for Morimoto LED fogs. They look great and have great light output.

Have you upgraded your fog lights at all? I ask because there's a group buy going on now for Morimoto LED fogs. They look great and have great light output.

+1 on the Morimoto's....I am still blown away with the light output after a couple months!

I have not....yet anyway. Thanks for letting me know about that group buy, though, unfortunately it's not good timing ATM and I don't think we are going to be upgrading the lighting on the Legacy just yet. When the time comes I will probably be breaking the bank and upgrading the low, high and fogs at about the same time.

Right now just holding out to do the RSB, this fog light DRL mod, as well as vent visors and the sunroof wind deflector. I think lighting will come after.

You have to join the Tacoma forum which I did. I am just waiting for a day before the end of the offer to place my order and not have to wait too long. Har har!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been away from the forums for awhile but I'm back. After school ended I started working full time back in July, combined with life responsibilities and fixing things on my own car I have less time for tinkering and side-work (and endlessly browsing the forums:lol:).

I have an update on the status for everyone interested in this mod, but it's not good news.:(

Unfortunately my original source for reasonably priced headlight connectors on amazon has dried up. I found an alternative but haven't had enough free time to tinker with them yet. Combined with issues I've had with my personal setup that I'm working to sort out, plug-n-play kits are on hold until further notice.

I've been away from the forums for awhile but I'm back. After school ended I started working full time back in July, combined with life responsibilities and fixing things on my own car I have less time for tinkering and side-work (and endlessly browsing the forums:lol:).

I have an update on the status for everyone interested in this mod, but it's not good news.:(

Unfortunately my original source for reasonably priced headlight connectors on amazon has dried up. I found an alternative but haven't had enough free time to tinker with them yet. Combined with issues I've had with my personal setup that I'm working to sort out, plug-n-play kits are on hold until further notice.

Good luck adulting man! Some words of advice, it adulting gets worse as you get older! LOL.

• 8 months later...

Sorry to bump such a old thread maybe someone can point me into the right direction? I have 15 outback which I think is pretty much the same.

I got the stuff to do this off eBay I have a basic understanding of it all. I hooked up one side to see if it would work but nothing works. Fog lights don’t work nor does the DRL. Headlights will work. I double checked my connections and everything is as supposed to be.

So I figured maybe I need both sides done because it see’s one is out, I don’t know. Still nothing. Anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? I just checked the wiring and it is good to go.

The only thing that could be different is I don’t have a blue wire for the head lights I have just black and red (running LED). I imagined they need power so I just hooked them into the red.

Thanks!

• 6 months later...

Archived