LegacyGT.com

Fog as DRL

Problems:

-If you convert to LED high beams, you cannot flash your lights at people during the day when DRLs are on.

-If you do the 9005 to 9011 mod many on the Outback forum have done you must disconnect the DRLs as it'll kill those bulbs real quick, which leaves no lights on during the day.

-If you go HID for high beams the DRLs must be disconnected as running them at reduced power isn't good, which again leaves no lights during daytime.

-There is no way to run just the fog lights in our cars.

Solution:

Make the fog lights your DRL.

Summary:

This setup works by using four 5-pin relays, one at both high beams and both fog lights. 5-pin relays have both a default/normally closed current path as well as a secondary/normally open one. Activating the coil switches between these two paths, compared to a 4 pin relay which only switches one path on. By splitting the high beam power into a normally closed (to fog lights) and normally open (to high beam) path, triggered by low beam activation, the DRL can be separated out from normal high beam. Then down by the fog lights, the relay is used to switch between inputs - normally closed (DRL) and normally open (fog light) - also triggered by the low beam.

Benefits:

-Can use LED high beams while retaining the ability to flash your lights and no worries of glare to oncoming drivers due to lack of dimming.

-Can upgrade to 9011HIR or HID bulbs without disconnecting DRL due to shortened life if left connected.

-Looks better having all upper lights off.

-Can run fogs only by switching to parking lights.

Parts Needed:

4x 5-pin relay (this comes with 5) [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RWV470O?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00]www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RWV470O?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00[/ame]

*If you don't want to cut up the car's wiring harness:

1x H11 extension (2 for most people as I tapped into my HID wiring) [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JFOEVJS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00]Amazon.com: CUTEQUEEN TRADING 2PCS H11 / H8 Wiring Wire Connector Plug Wire Connector Plug (PACK OF 2): Automotive[/ame]

1x 9005 extension [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008DM8MUW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00]Amazon.com: iJDMTOY 9005 9145 HB3 H10 Heavy Duty Ceramic Wiring Harness Sockets For Headlights or Fog Lights: Automotive[/ame]

*Note that these connectors aren't sealed in the back. A little silicone fixes that although higher quality ones probably come with seals.

A few feet of wire. My supply is running low so I purchased the following:

Red [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OES91Y?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00]Amazon.com: Coleman Cable 16-1-16 16-Gauge 24-Foot Automotive Copper Wire, Red: Home Improvement[/ame]

Black [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OEMRL2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00]Amazon.com: Coleman Cable 16-1-11 16-Gauge 24-Foot Automotive Copper Wire, Black: Home Improvement[/ame]

Tools Needed:

Wire stripper

Soldering iron OR crimp tool + crimp connectors OR both

Small flatblade screwdriver

Electrical tape or heat shrink

Wrench/socket for grounding bolts

The Build/Install:

Although this could be made off of the car and later installed, I think it'd be much easier to make and install it all at once.

Step 1: Remove front end

http://i.imgur.com/8wAczJ7.jpg?4

Once clips are removed, pull outwards from each fenderwell. There are clips along the metal/plastic gap as well as below the headlights. Disengage them on both sides, then the front should remove freely. Don't forget to disconnect fog lights.

Step 2: Make splitter harnesses

http://i.imgur.com/qMSoJ9G.jpg?1

Fog light (pictured) - original fog (+) goes to yellow, new fog connector goes to red.

High beam - original high beam (+) goes to red, new high beam connector goes to yellow.

*Make two of each of these as they're needed for each side.

Step 3: Extend remaining three wires to reach their respective locations

Blue - must reach other blue wire on the same side. ~12"

White - must reach low beam connector location ~18"

Black - must reach a ground location ~6" (I used the horn mount screw for both sides)

Step 4: Mount relays

http://i.imgur.com/vK8t8VN.jpg?1http://i.imgur.com/wWAiylC.jpg?1

High beam: driver's side - passenger's side

Mounted with 3M tape to side of headlight housing.

Fog light: driver's side (not pictured) ziptied to wiring harness in that area - passenger's side

http://i.imgur.com/kwLEMXn.jpg?1

Best pic I could get by holding my phone down in there aiming as best I could in the right direction...:lol: you get the idea, it's taped to the frame.

Step 5: Connections

http://i.imgur.com/l6BywSL.jpg?1

White board diagram says it all:cool:

*Note: green represents white wire on the relays

Since the light connectors are already attached, it's just a matter of connecting the blue wires together to complete the lighting portion. Since the DRL normally shuts off to make the turn signal more visible, a wire must be run along the top of the grille and tapped into the blue wire of both sides to make them connected in parallel and therefore prevent one from shutting off upon turn signal activation.

Then ground the lower relays to the horn bolts and upper relays to wherever you see fit or to the horn as well. Finally, connect the white wires for each side to one another and tap into the low beam for that side (or use another H11 extension to prevent tapping into the factory harness).

Now plug in the high beam and fog light connectors to their proper locations.

Step 6: After testing all lighting functions to ensure everything works properly, re-install front end. It's easier to get it lined up if you have two people but it can be done by yourself.

Done!! Your fog lights will now function as DRLs, and high beams will only run as high beams, nothing else. Steering responsive fog lights remain active and when low beams are on fogs can be switched like normal. Go ahead and upgrade your high beams without worry of shortened high output or HID bulb life, or blinding drivers during the day with un-dimmed LEDs. This is a much better solution than simply unplugging DRLs, which are indeed a safety feature!

All said and done I spent close to 8 hours on this mod. Now that I know what I'm doing it'd easily be doable in 1/2 or 1/3 of that. Most of the time is spent soldering and sealing up connections.

Feel free to share any thoughts or questions.

As a side note - some cars actually use the fog lights as DRL as OEM. I think that the Forester do that here in Europe, at least for some model years.

And it's as far as I know prohibited to use the main beams as DRL in Europe.

453747.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Had some troubles with my relays acting up due to poor connections, so I removed everything and rewired it all, soldering every joint so I won't have any more issues with sketchy connections.

Anyway, in doing this I found a way to greatly simplify how it's set up. If I remember I'll get some pictures up, but instead of having the relays mounted next to the light they control, I now have them connected together on their respective side with wires dropping down to the fog lights. Much simpler and much easier to access, no need to remove the front end (which is now quite time consuming with my Hellas).

It would be fairly straightforward to produce a plug-n-play kit, and easy to install said kit. Would anyone be interested in that?

I would also be willing to put together a more in-depth guide and parts list for any DIYers, all you need is basic soldering skills and 2 hours or so of free time.

• 3 weeks later...
Had some troubles with my relays acting up due to poor connections, so I removed everything and rewired it all, soldering every joint so I won't have any more issues with sketchy connections.

Anyway, in doing this I found a way to greatly simplify how it's set up. If I remember I'll get some pictures up, but instead of having the relays mounted next to the light they control, I now have them connected together on their respective side with wires dropping down to the fog lights. Much simpler and much easier to access, no need to remove the front end (which is now quite time consuming with my Hellas).

It would be fairly straightforward to produce a plug-n-play kit, and easy to install said kit. Would anyone be interested in that?

I would also be willing to put together a more in-depth guide and parts list for any DIYers, all you need is basic soldering skills and 2 hours or so of free time.

I would be interested in a plug n play kit (with directions) for sure! Im not very mechanically involved so it would make things alot easier and ive been wanting to get this done.

@BeastCoast1

• 4 weeks later...

I sent you a couple PMs in response to the last one you sent me but for whatever reason they arent appearing in my "SENT" folder so im not sure if youre getting them. Let me know if you are/arent

Thanks

@BeastCoast1

I am definitely intrigued by a plug n play kit and directions as well. I definitely would want to avoid removing the front end and it sounds like you have it mastered to avoid that. Let me know if you are still considering these. Thanks in advance!

I sent you a couple PMs in response to the last one you sent me but for whatever reason they arent appearing in my "SENT" folder so im not sure if youre getting them. Let me know if you are/arent

Thanks

Got them and replied, my SENT folder doesn't seem to work either...:spin:

I am definitely intrigued by a plug n play kit and directions as well. I definitely would want to avoid removing the front end and it sounds like you have it mastered to avoid that. Let me know if you are still considering these. Thanks in advance!

Just finished up the first one for Thombob and I'm working with BeastCoast now so I'm still making them:) and yes front end removal is not necessary, just have to use the fog light access panels underneath to connect things down there. PM me if you want pics/details/work out a deal.

Another solution in search of a problem

Not exactly sure what you mean...but ok.

If anything this solves problems like allowing the use of high-output hi-beam bulbs w/o shortening life or disabling DRL altogether.

• 1 month later...
I'd be interested in the PnP kit for my Outback. Do you have any updated install instructions for the revised kit you mentioned. Would this be ok to run. H11 LEDs in the fog's?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I have a bunch of pictures that show every connection, how to mount, etc.

If you'd like to see I can PM them to you. Would rather not spam this thread with a bunch of pics lol.

LEDs are no issue, in fact they're better as less power means less heat in the relays and wiring. I'm running Diode Dynamics LED projector fog housings.

A closer study on my outback has revealed that the fog lights contains both DRL bulbs and separate fog bulbs.

Really? Any chance you could post up a pic? I'm kinda curious to see how they do it.

Really? Any chance you could post up a pic? I'm kinda curious to see how they do it.

They have two bulbs, one for the fog light and in the lower part they have an additional reflector with the DRL bulb.

I realized that it has to be daylight to properly take pics of that since the DRLs are turned off when it's dark. Probably to prevent drivers from driving with DRLs on in the dark and not realizing that the rest of the car is dark.

453747.png

Hi guys!

Your problem becomes more when you will make it. In my region subaru has made fog lights as DRL for all models. In a headlight two bulbs. If you go in a deep water this hot glass is may be burst.

http://s019.radikal.ru/i643/1610/d4/55c7b1c251ee.jpg

http://s018.radikal.ru/i521/1610/c8/772322765cfe.jpg

There is no necessity off road with deep water. The rain suffices

Got them and replied, my SENT folder doesn't seem to work either...:spin:

Just finished up the first one for Thombob and I'm working with BeastCoast now so I'm still making them:) and yes front end removal is not necessary, just have to use the fog light access panels underneath to connect things down there. PM me if you want pics/details/work out a deal.

Got the kit in today. Looks nicely done and packaged well (divider setup to keep drivers side and passenger side separated). Can't wait to install but my car is at the body shop at the moment. I might have to break in and install it [emoji51]

Thanks Andrew!! I'll make sure to post some pics when it's done. Mind messaging me some directions when you get a chance? No rush, can't put em in yet anyway [emoji853]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@BeastCoast1

• 3 weeks later...
I have 2017 Legacy and have LED on my DRL and I can still flash/use my high beams..

When DRLs are on you can't, as LEDs run at full power all the time. There's no noticeable difference in brightness when you flash them. Also, this typically blinds oncoming traffic during the day as you're blasting everyone with full-brightness high beams instead of half-brightness like you get with a halogen bulb.

There's a resistor that does the dimming duty when in DRL mode but it has no effect on LEDs due to their miniscule power draw compared to halogen.

Also, for most LED kits out there, the beam pattern produced is horrible. Scattered and spread out instead of focused, which is what gives you "punch"/distance. I've been through 4 sets and not a single one remains on my car.

If you're happy with your setup, great. I wanted something to suit my needs better and I found a solution.

PATS4LIFE,

I agree with adrew_l_s. Although you notice a flash, the actual brightness between the two states are the same. The LEDs are full bright. I'm running 9005 LEDs from XD. There's no low brightness. Just ON. The resistor bridge has no impact with LEDs.

When DRLs are on you can't, as LEDs run at full power all the time. There's no noticeable difference in brightness when you flash them. Also, this typically blinds oncoming traffic during the day as you're blasting everyone with full-brightness high beams instead of half-brightness like you get with a halogen bulb.

And that's a good reason to use the fog lights or low beams as DRL instead.

I'm not sure who came up with the "bright" idea to use the main beams as DRL.

453747.png

I'm not sure who came up with the "bright" idea to use the main beams as DRL.

THIS...especially cause there's plenty of geniuses out there who drive with no lights on, believing their DRLs are their headlights. See it all the time I drive at night, especially on the highway.

Archived