LegacyGT.com

MTBwrench's 2005 OBXT Build! #DDRaceWagon

Well... I decided it's finally time for me to take a crack at a legitimate "build thread" :lol:

The Wagon

I bought my [new to me] 2005 Outback XT 5EAT Limited in late November of 2014. I had been searching for a Subaru specifically for months. I had originally set my heart on a WRX or STi, but after seeing what my budget of roughly $8,000 could get me, I quickly gave up on that venture. After about two months of going to see various WRX/STi wagons, I came to the conclusion that anything below the $15,000 price point is most likely beat to hell, riced to Narnia and back, and on the brink of a shortblock replacement... So I took my interests elsewhere. Still interested in getting a Subaru, I started looking at the Forester XT. I really wanted a 2008 FXT Sports in the iconic WRB... but again, massive Subaru pricepoints for something that's been beaten on for 140,000 miles.... Then came this little gem; a well taken care of 2005 OBXT, and only for $4,900! But again... high miles. I went to see it (private sale on craigslist), and quickly realized that a very elderly couple had owned this wagon for all its life, and rarely drove in winter. The reason for such high mileage was frequent road trips up to Wisconsin to visit family, as evidenced by all the highway chips in the hood. The interior was MINT, new tires, and most importantly, this thing had been 100% stock and 100% dealer maintained its entire life. They had a stack of maintenance records and detailed Carfax reports to prove it. :spin: So I bought it!

15557498973_50898587c6_c.jpg2006 Subaru Outback XT by Cenzo Reyes, on Flickr

The Saga Begins...

*original build thread:* http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/cenzos-lets-build-dd-racewagon-build-241023.html

The wagon ran great for its age. Quiet, smooth powerband, rock solid idle. I pre-purchase inspection revealed no valve cover/head gasket leaks, etc. The only issue was a power steering pump o-ring leak, but hey what third gen Outback in cold climates doesn't have that issue? I drove the wagon for a good two months, sans issue, and then one day I heard this horrible rattling noise coming from my turbo! :eek: Being the neuroticist I am, I parked it right away and pulled the downpipe. Turbine was fine, almost zero shaft play, but almost 200k of granny driving had allowed the wastegate flapper bushing to walk itself out and unseat the wastegate. I was now officially on wastegate boost... lame. So, this is where financial mistake numero uno happened:

I said to myself: "This is a great time to buy an accessport and up-pipe and go stage 1! So I did just that, and bought a used VF40 here for $115. Back in action, yay me!!!

I drove it for close to 10k more miles and time came up for a timing belt job. I figured it needed plugs and some other "tune-up" work as well, because the idle had sank rather low and gotten pretty choppy. I dropped it off at P&L Motorsports in Lisle, IL in early May for a compression/leakdown/timing belt service. A few hours later I get a call: cylinder number four was down on compression, and shows 40% leakdown. Intake track was coated in oil, and I was 2.5 quarts low. The cracked ringland strikes again! I asked them for a quote on a rebuild and they estimated me around $8,000 for a rebuild with some stage 2 parts, and a tune. Not horrible.... but the lead time on that was close to four months. Real bad. I needed this done within the next month. Being mechanically savvy, and in a pinch, I did a TON of research and decided that a homegrown motor swap was my best option. I would be saving myself a ton of cash for other things as well. I told myself that yes, this may cost the same as a shop, but I'll be completely restoring my engine bay. Everything: from vacuum hoses to heat shields. So, that's where financial mistake #2 occurred. I bought a longblock and its all uphill from there! :)

This build I'll be calling the "Daily driver racewagon". A.K.A.- A large ephasis on reliability, practicality, and drivability. Power levels will be kept conservative, with stock fueling and turbo. I feel at stage 2, it has more than enough power for my needs, as a commuter to school. I also drive over sixty miles a day, so getting 11mpg on E85 is not on my radar. The majority of mods that will happen, post engine swap, will be chassis and handling related. Trying to create a comfy yet dialed wagon, the kind of wagon other people get jealous of. :) So no, you wont see fancy bodywork, or a set of SSR's wrapped in RE71-R's. Visually, my OBXT probably won't stray from the norm!

A few pictures of the motor swap preparation: (See modifications list in next post)

Lots of stage 2 parts!

18029717875_87a4b57908_c.jpgChristmas in May by Cenzo Reyes, on Flickr

My sexy JMP Custom40... Aint she purty?! :cool:

18029715995_846b4d4ea4_c.jpgJMP turbo!!! by Cenzo Reyes, on Flickr

PLX wideband DM-6 installed in a JCS cubby pod

18003238776_dff7e8e89d_c.jpgPLX WBO2 in cubbypod by Cenzo Reyes, on Flickr

New longblock! Thanks Casey!

17895123916_5f16ac2e15_c.jpgNew EJ255 Longblock by Cenzo Reyes, on Flickr

18035876239_d1fc46fc93_c.jpgRed valve covers by Cenzo Reyes, on Flickr

Purty red valve covers and Nameless AIR delete plates installed

18035876239_d1fc46fc93_c.jpgRed valve covers by Cenzo Reyes, on Flickr

(continued in next post)

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now... Onto the meat n' taters.

Pulling out a 190,000 mile motor

18034241968_a886d2fd1c_c.jpgMotor pulling by Cenzo Reyes, on Flickr

Don't forget to leave the torque converter attached to the flex plate snout and spill 8 quarts of ATF on your subframe/garage... :spin: (I STILL have ATF leaking out of my subrame... 5 months later)

18035853619_96365a28b1_c.jpgIt's out! ... by Cenzo Reyes, on Flickr

Finally out!

18218375902_941b907296_c.jpgEJ257 196,000 miles later by Cenzo Reyes, on Flickr

New block prepped for install

19046586406_3f7b82e0f5_c.jpgPrepped Longblock by Cenzo Reyes, on Flickr

Engine bay prepped as well:

20320416515_ae8b9e93c3_c.jpg_DSC1725 by Cenzo Reyes, on Flickr

had some downtime waiting on some parts, so I sprayed all my exhaust heatshields with VHT exhaust paint, and dipped my grille as an experiment.

20767130208_870f819ecc_c.jpgGrille & Heatshields by Cenzo Reyes, on Flickr

Looks good IMO...

20907806156_3856107546_c.jpgPlastidipped Grille by Cenzo Reyes, on Flickr

Got the engine in, took a beer break :lol: (one of many...)

20132376260_347406442d_c.jpg_DSC1724 by Cenzo Reyes, on Flickr

...and she's in!

18452078533_1783b667f5_c.jpgAll done!! by Cenzo Reyes, on Flickr

And the final touch: GrimmSpeed Intake!

22978548932_823bf497c0_c.jpgGramps' Dyno Day! by Cenzo Reyes, on Flickr

All in all, the motor swap took me a solid 3 days to complete, from pulling it out to sticking it back in. hehe. :) It was nowhere near as hard as I had expected... everything is pretty straight forward. The biggest bear on these things is really just making sure the vacuum hoses are all locked down nice and tight, and your wiring is all clearly labeled and sorted. Lots of plugs for everything. Also, a small tackle box organizer was my best friend in this process. Whenever I took a certain "area" apart, I'd throw the associated hardware in a section of the organizer and label it. Zip-loc baggies work well too... but im too OCD for that. Speaking of OCD, I probably spend an extra $250 on this motor swap just in vacuum/pcv/breather hoses. Many of them are specifically molded OEM parts, and were pretty hard after 190k... so I replaced everything I could find. I also replaced any and all questionable hardware, probably another $75 worth of that! I also repalced any and all intake manifold related gaskets, and installed new Gates 5/16" fuel line and fuel injection clamps to avoid the cold weather fuel leaks. It was all well worth it. It made the assembly of everything 10x easier in the end!

Here's How She Sits Today V1.5 (as of August 2015):

22402180433_ef2ab9cdff_c.jpg_DSC0056_edited by Cenzo Reyes, on Flickr

Here's How She Sits Today V2.0 (as of February 2016):

29880950832_599d5213a1_h.jpgGramps landscape by Cenzo Reyes, on Flickr

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Performance Modifications:

A REAL big thanks to Underdog for supplying most of my parts, JMP for the *sweet* turbo/exhaust, KNS for my brake setup, and the LGT community for all the sweet deals in the classifieds!

Engine:

-Brand new OEM Subaru Shortblock at 212,000 miles (All 'B' pistons! :))

-B25 heads, stock rebuild @ Thirlby Automotive in Traverse City, MI (can't say enough about these guys, I will never use another shop for subaru head work)

-JMP Turbo Custom VF52 with billet wheel upgrade

-TGV deletes

-Perrin crank pulley

-Cobb EBCS

-Cobb EBCS 1/4" fitting upgrade kit for EWG applications

-NGK LFR7AIX (one step colder) Iridium plugs, gapped to 0.028"

-Running Motul X-Cess 5w40 full synthtic oil

Intake:

-GrimmSpeed TMIC (not black coated because not actually #racewagon)

-GrimmSpeed cold air intake

-Silicone vacuum lines

Exhaust:

-Stock header

-GrimmSpeed 38mm EWG catless up-pipe

-TiAl MV-S 38mm external wastegate (1.0 Bar Spring Installed)

-Cobb Catted 5EAT downpipe

-3" Midpipe for an eBay LGT catback

-Stock muffs, got sick of drone and attracting attention.

Fueling:

-Deatschwerks DW65c

-Injector Dynamics 1000cc Injectors

-Injector Dynamics top feed conversion rails

-Injector Dynamics LGT braided fuel line kit

-Stock FPR/damper assembly

Drivetrain:

-Motul Motylgear 75w90 oil in front/rear differentials

-Subaru ATF-HP in transmission

-Group N motor mounts

-Perrin pitch stop

-Rallitek race (hard) transmission bushing insert

-Whiteline KTD927 positive power rear diff inserts

Braking:

-Full Legacy GT brake swap (for larger front rotor diameter, and larger/vented rear rotors)

-ATE Typ200 Amber synthetic Fluid

-Hawk HPS 5.0 brake pads (WAY better than the old HPS, but still not amazing...)

-DBA 4000 slotted front rotors

-Centric Premium rear rotors

Suspension:

-Bilstein B6 HD shocks and struts

-JDM Legacy GT Spec.B tophats

-JDM STi Tuned 5EAT Wagon springs (A.K.A. "JDM Pinks")

-Alloy Legacy Spec.B rear upper control arms

-Whiteline KCA399 Rear camber kit

-Whiteline KCA334 Anti-lift Kit

-Whiteline W0506 Front lower/front position control arm bushings

Wheels/Tires:

-Stock OBXT 17x7 alloy wheels

-Continetal ExtremeContact DWS06 225/55/R17

Racecar setup:

-Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star-spec 254/45/17

-Rims TBD (Most likely Weds TC105n)

Interior/electronics:

-PLX Wideband O2 with DSM-6 52mm digital display, housed in JCS cubbypod

-Defi Red Racer 52mm oil pressure gauge

-iSimple ISFM22 bluetooth FM modulator

Exterior/Aesthetic:

-Front grille painted matte black, wrinkle coated finish

-GrimmSpeed JDM tow-hook plate relocation kit *Installed under protest, thanks to a ticket for no front plate.*

-Yakima Highroller bike rack

-Dorky "My 1st Subaru" badge

Future Plans(in no particular order):

-Whiteline sway-bar kit

-Kartboy hard compund rear differential outrigger bushing inserts

-AVO rear sway bar braces, and subframe braces

-Perrin steering shaft rag-joint brace

-Hexmods upgraded valve body

A clay bar-ing and two coats of Meguiars synthetic wax. I wax them four times a year, keeps em pretty!

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/24/dc786150ebdec604aff9a04036543e1c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTB have you considered the JDM Bilstein BTS kit. It costs a little more than a Koni+springs+doner struts setup.

But lowers you about an inch and might be what you are looking for ride height wise.

Here is the whole thread

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/bilstein-bts-outback-xt-kit-pictures-111880.html

Are you finished tuning yet? Knock free? How much boost did you end up with?

Details to come ;)

It's amazing how your car looks so good after 190k!! Mine has only 77k and it looks.... BAD. But then again, I like to play in the mud :).

It's one of those "looks good from 20 feet away" kind of cars :lol: It was garage kept all it's life, but still was never really washed properly, and lived in the city... so lots of swirls and chips. But it's still shiny! It's amazing what a clay bar and a coat of wax can do... and I don's see mud too often here in Chicago :)

MTB have you considered the JDM Bilstein BTS kit. It costs a little more than a Koni+springs+doner struts setup.

But lowers you about an inch and might be what you are looking for ride height wise.

Here is the whole thread

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/bilstein-bts-outback-xt-kit-pictures-111880.html

OB2.5XT I've considered this kit soooo many times. I've probably been through the entirety of that thread twice at this point... and I really think it would be the perfect setup. But... lack of a warranty from Bilstein, and the need to source JDM specific parts really shy me away from it. Also, if I play my cards right, I *might* be able to save a big buck doing the Koni's over the Bilstein kit.

There's also one last factor in my suspension search: longevity. I really wanted coilovers, and that stuck me with pretty much only BC coils. I heard they're fine, but generally need to be rebuilt after 30k. I drive close to 15k a year depending on my school schedule, so paying $1000 for two years of suspension just isn't going to cut it in my book. At least I know that the Koni's and Bilsteins will last a lot longer than that. So really, short story is... if i can easily source everything for the BTS kit, I might do it. Otherwise... I'm looking at the Koni kits, and the Spec.B kit that Fred Beans sells!

Yeah look into it. I have done lots of suspension mods on my outback (still stock ride height) and am still very disappointed with the OEM struts. They just are way underdamped.

Precisely what I'm trying to avoid! I want that tight, yet still smooth, damped effect of say an STI, or M cars. I know it'll be hard to achieve that, but I'm going to strive to get as close as possible.

Do you want to stay at stock ride height?

No, not quite stock. I like somewhere between XT and GT height. I wonder how GT suspension with the XT suspension spacers would look? Might be close to perfect. I still want *some* height, but I think stock OB height is just insanely high. Come to think of it, maybe another 1/2" lower from what I have would be perfect.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/27/3007d7abf05d29c492967d6712d6f615.jpg

Look up the BTS 5088 kit, I love that stance.

If I was to do it over I think I would go with Konis. The ability to adjust them seems pretty great.

I went with the spec.b kit from Fred beans.

More motivation for me to do the konis :) the adjustability is what really draws me to them. I could stiffen them up for Auto-X and leave them soft or in between for daily usage. I could also increase the damping in the rear to get rid of the horrid boaty effect... I would probably add in a set of sways too.

Edit: Maybe 3/4" more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update: 12/2/15:

So... some things were done recently! I bought a new catback and installed it Tuesday. It's a good ole' fashioned eBay catback. This exhaust previously lived on JMP's GT sedan, but he re-installed the stock catback. I had jokingly mentioned to him that he should give it to me, and a few weeks later I was cruising home with a new exhaust! (p.s.- I gave him a VF40 as well, so be on the lookout!)

Details:

-3" mid-pipe

-2.5" y-pipe

-race muffler (not a resonator) installed in mid pipe, wrapped in heat wrap for noise supression.

-Typical eBay LGT catback mufflers. I may forgo them for deletes, or have turndown tips welded on for a stock look

It took me quite a while to install.. 5 freaking hours! :spin: Seeing as this was originally intended for a Legacy sedan... fitment on an Outback wasn't really fantastic. We Outback owners have hidden exhaust tips... so I stole Rebourne's muffler mounting ideas and used extra long hangers to clear the tips under the bumper cover. Being at almost OEM outback height, I'm not too worried about them rubbing. :lol: There was one small complication, though: my trailer hitch. It sits directly below the rear-most exhaust hanger peg. This means that extra loing hangers are not allowed to hang vertically, as intended. Instead, they are angled outward, about 45° from the center of the vehicle. This threw EVRYTHING off, and made a 1 hour catback install into a five hour project.:mad: It's still not perfect.. I plan on taking this to a professional exhaust shop and having them weld on 3" stainless steel tips, and modifying the hangers so it sits perfectly beneath the bumper cover, just like stock!

You can visit Rebourne's original post on this , and pretty sweet build thread here!

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5236491&postcount=33

Here's a decent video, photos to come!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfsieBpdsrE

Update 12/7/15:

I had seen literally tons of Subaru's on the Chi-town Subarus Facebook group rocking mud flaps with the word "GORILLA" plastered all over them. I made a quick little post inquiring where everyone was getting them, and was put into contact with a guy named Derrik.

Turns out Derrik is the owner of Gorilla Offroad Company!

He owns an '06 Outback, I believe it's an H6, with tons of mods. Lift kit, lots of LED's, light bar, winch, CB radio etc... It's the complete opposite of what I'm aiming for, but I can really appreciate it. It's all done very nicely, looks exactly as a professionally outfitted Outback should. Anyways, $85 later I had a set of mudflaps for the wagon. I am really impressed with the quality of the whole setup. Opposed to Rally Armor's sh*t mounting hardware (experience with a freind's wagon), the GOC flaps have heavy duty sheet metal screws and clips, and thick washers, all coated in a rust preventive coating of some sort. The flaps are also rigid, unlike Rally Armor, so they don't flop around as much. At half the price and better mounting hardware, Derek totally deserves my business. He's a really cool guy, too. Very personable.

22966410214_0811beda1e_b.jpg

Untitled by Cenzo Reyes, on Flickr

Also, for those of you curious about mt exhaust fitment, here's a *potatoe quality* photo as promised!

23298894970_e4628313f5_b.jpgUntitled by Cenzo Reyes, on Flickr

And no, nothing has come even close to melting, the double wall tips insulate their outer layer pretty well. They get hot, but I can still touch them with my bare hands after a long drive.

I noticed on my old impreza with the rigid style rally armour flaps that I had a visible amount of protection from the sand on the road. And the snow would build up a little on them but it never bothered me that much. I think the flappy ones would have just angled back and protected a smaller area. I don't think know the JDM spats I have on my Wagon don't provide any protection but they do look good [emoji38]

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

22966410214_0811beda1e_b.jpg

I like those. But then the hacker in me wants to mess with them...

Black out the R, for:

GO ILLA

Black out the O into an apostrophe for:

G'RILLA

literally cross out the R and scribble a Z above it:

GO ZILLA

GO ZIRA

might even be able to make O'RILIE?

But all that is more effort than i got time for.

I like those. But then the hacker in me wants to mess with them...

Black out the R, for:

GO ILLA

The #hellaflush people would be proud.

Black out the O into an apostrophe for:

G'RILLA

People would ask "what's grilla"?

literally cross out the R and scribble a Z above it:

GO ZILLA

They'd say "He must have really liked that Godzilla movie"

GO ZIRA

And they'd ask "Who the heck is Zira?"

might even be able to make O'RILIE?

ORLY?

But all that is more effort than i got time for.

Archived