LegacyGT.com

Nameless Downpipe: Official 5th Gen GT Install Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So it sounds like this is a backwards way of controlling boost, effectively allowing what we believe is the overboosting downpipe to get me up to target boost even at base actuator spring pressure - that would possibly lead to spikes in EGT (among other things?) I'll start logging this to review - what's an acceptable range for EGT? And what's the downside risk of spikes in EGT - what else would I want to log to see the risk of a tune like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where has Nameless been maybe they have some input?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:ohhh::iam:

Anyone have an aftermarket bpv for cheap or they would loan me, I would like to see if changing from the stocker brings on the overboost.

There's no EGT sensor from the factory. You'd have to get an aftermarket EGT gauge to monitor that.

Yes, and the trick of using the O2 sensor resistance to estimate EGT hasn't been tried on the 5th gen, to my knowledge.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

So from what I gathered it seems like the over-boost issue isn't necessarily caused by the nameless down pipe but rather the design of the turbo/wastegate itself. From the factory you'd never notice it with the stock pipes, the leaky BPV, and the stock tune, but the more of those things you take away the more apparent the issue starts to become. This shouldn't be news to anyone who kept up with jackals thread. Seems Nameless wants to dance around in circles about the problem we all have by trying to get us to figure out why our cars are over boosting. When in reality this has been a known issue for a while which is why they made these down pipes in the first place. Bottom line nameless made a product with a specific advertised purpose and said product did not deliver what was advertised. Hopefully Nameless will chime in again sooner than Jan. 2018

I think a member on our forum inadvertently gave them the perfect excuse, as he opted for them to install his turbo back sometime around the first quarter of this year...I guess more waiting to see.

Your ported wastegate still working ok? Still not overboosting?

Not ported not overboosting, but I am looking at replacing the stock bpv as it has been brought to my attention it leaks a lot even though it shouldn't. I may attempt the $.16 mod and verify no leakage before reinstalling it. Possibly next week or so. I should really be working on my house right now, but still waiting on the permit...

Not ported not overboosting, but I am looking at replacing the stock bpv as it has been brought to my attention it leaks a lot even though it shouldn't. I may attempt the $.16 mod and verify no leakage before reinstalling it. Possibly next week or so. I should really be working on my house right now, but still waiting on the permit...

what $0.16 mod is that?

FWIW, I do remember over boosting a few times when I was only running an N1 catback, a GFB BPV and a OTS Cobb Stage 1 Tune with the stock DP. If I remember the stocker leaks about 10 psi and the boost target on the stock tune is around 12 or 14. On the other side it seems that without any sort of mechanical boost control the turbo will boost to around 22 psi. That can't be a coincidence.

Also, Possibly a dumb question but could a softer wastegate spring alleviate some of the over boost?

Edited by Apexofthevortex

FWIW, I do remember over boosting a few times when I was only running an N1 catback, a GFB BPV and a OTS Cobb Stage 1 Tune with the stock DP. If I remember the stocker leaks about 10 psi and the boost target on the stock tune is around 12 or 14. On the other side it seems that without any sort of mechanical boost control the turbo will boost to around 22 psi. That can't be a coincidence.

Also, Possibly a dumb question but could a softer wastegate spring alleviate some of the over boost?

The fact that people running 0 wgdc (wide open wastegate) with boost higher than 10 psi, says no.

It really doesn't the form is different the function is identical.

Sure the function is identical. But it's plastic vs metal and a different shape. Chances are, the places he drilled/tapped probably aren't there.

Is it possible? Maybe, but I'm just saying you're not going to be able to follow those instructions step by step. Probably going to have to take the BPV off, analyze it, and then improvise.

Sure the function is identical. But it's plastic vs metal and a different shape. Chances are, the places he drilled/tapped probably aren't there.

Is it possible? Maybe, but I'm just saying you're not going to be able to follow those instructions step by step. Probably going to have to take the BPV off, analyze it, and then improvise.

The directions weren't that good, so that is a given, just need to find the small bleeder type port inside and plug it up. Then drill a smaller hole to vent to atmosphere. Not exactly rocket science. :rolleyes: