LegacyGT.com

propeller shaft, my story

Max Capacity

I ordered a Dorman propeller shaft, aka drive shaft, from NAPA last Monday Oct 19th. The guy said it should be here from Tenn on Thursday. I stop by after work to pick it up.

He said it will be here Friday, like I said.

Friday morning he calls me and say's they sent it to Calif, but it will be here on Monday which is today. He also said he was wrong when he told me he said it would be here Friday, he checked his notes and admitted he was wrong, he did tell me it should be here on Thursday.

Well today he called me about 10:15AM and told me it was at the store. Great.

I stop by after work and pick it up. After installing it I find that I can't mate the midpipe to the down pipe. So I pulled it back out and put the stock one back in.

Doing that I stripped the threads on one of the four bolts at the rear diff. I said screw this, I'm pulling this one back out too.

I took both shafts to NAPA and with them laid out on the counter, you can clearly see the bracket on the carrier bearing is different. The Dorman shaft has the bracket which about 1" higher then the stock one which sits flat on the counter.

He'll talk to the Dorman Tech Rep tomorrow and find out what they'll do to fix it.

The Dorman unit does have grease zerts at the U joints and seems to be a better made unit. I'll take pictures of it when I get the new one.

The reason I'm replacing the OEM one that has 214,000 miles on it, is because every now and then I can feel a banging when around my right elbow when taking off fast. I have been hearing a slight humming noise around that area too.

A few weeks back I got under both cars and grabbed the rear section of the shaft and the one in the 09 Spec B had about the same firm movement as the wagon. A few day's later I felt the banging again in the wagon...I thought for a while and said, duh I wonder if its the front shaft.

Jack the car back up and sure enough the front shaft is easy to move around.

With winter coming, I want to replace the shaft now before it breaks on the road somewhere during winter.

I thought about going to a junkyard and getting one, but figured that's a roll over the dice not knowing what your going to get. Again with winter coming and the car going to VT most winter weekends...

I checked out some of the Drive Shaft websites but figured I'd rather buy it locally so if there's a problem I can give it back and they can fix it.

See how that worked out.

I'll update this when I have more to say.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Moderators
With the carrier bearing being different, is it possible that they gave you an OBK part by mistake? Even if that's what happened I would still think you would be able to bolt things up, the shaft would just be at an angle.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

OB shaft, now that might be possible. The OB has chassis spacers.

It will interesting to see how far the tranny snout goes into the tail shaft housing on the tranny. I thought it looked like this shaft should have gone in further.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Just called my buddies at the dealership and ordered the four bolts that connect the shaft to the rear diff. They'll have them for me tomorrow.

Before I left work NAPA called and said he had not heard back from Dorman yet. He hopes to hear in the AM.

I just went through my box of nuts and bolts in the shed and picked out four new 8mmX1.25 nuts and lock washers.

Yes the OB driveshaft is different in the carrier bearing to allow for alignment between the trans and rear diff which are dropped from the chassis relative to the LGT.

Just checked the opposedforces site, the GT with 5mt shaft is 27111AG00A or 04A.

The Outback XT with 5mt is 27111AG10A or 14A

Just checked voice mail. At 9:41AM he called and said Sorry for wasting my time, the computer was wrong. They don't make a drive shaft for GT's with 5mt's.

Called the Dealer a few minutes ago, hopefully it will be here Saturday He said 3 day's to get one. They have gotten stuff on Saturday's recently for me.

$508 with my discount. The NAPA/Dorman shaft was $446.

Stopped by NAPA and picked up my old shaft. He told me what the guy at Dorman said when he saw the VIN, "Oh that's one of those turbo charged wagon's they didn't make many of those."

Yea, that's what I told you the other day, the NAPA guy told him.

I stopped by the dealership also and picked up the driveshaft bolts, they were $3.56 for the 4 of them. Chatted with the guys there for a while too.

Gave up on junk yards for this. Didn't want to be sending stuff across the country waiting for a part that should fit but may be didn't.

Hind sight, 20/20 I spend 2 weeks messing with this. The car sit on jacks for 7 day's. I could have shipped the old one, had them make up a new one and ship it back in the tow weeks...

But at least I know the OEM is good for many years now. Winters coming, the car has to be bullet proof.

On the drive into work without the radio on, there was a little less driveline noise. The tranny still has the 1940's truck whine but there is less noise behind me from the drivers seat.

I also didn't notice any slop in the rear diff when I was putting the bolts in the joint.

That diff has about a 100,000 miles on it.

Both rear axles are original, the PS, Alt and A/C are also along with all the engine sensors. All other moving parts have been addressed.

• 1 year later...
welcome to having an 05 lol thats why i had to go custom drive shaft shop last summer, subaru changed the carrier bearing design late 04 early 05

I have an 05 GT wagon with the 5EAT. In need of a new propeller shaft. Two part numbers from Subaru: 27111AG02A and 27111AG06A. Going through junk yards, they ask about car build date. Subaru seems to indicate a supercession (the 06A should fit early model 05s) not different parts for early/late model builds. Anyone know for sure?

I'm pretty sure the newer parts will fit the earlier cars, that's how it is with most things.

Most junkyards will take it back if it doesn't work.

Archived