LegacyGT.com

Navigation Install (OEM)

The GPS antenna is located behind the cluster panel and not on the roof of the vehicle.

Yep. It's under the dash.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^ I agree, VERY happy with my NAV.

Although while I am driving, I've attempted to use voice commands to enter an address. It ALWAYS fails. I follow the prompts, wait for the beep and speak the address clearly and at a normal rate of speech. Then it comes up with the same two address, both 100 blah blah st in different states. I don't get what I am doing wrong and it's pretty frustrating!

Glad I am not the only one. It never works for me either. I have tried many different addresses that I know are correct and I speak slowly and clearly and it brings back two or three choices that are not even in my city. I say the address, city, and Province just like the sample they show, but never works. Frustrating as hell. :soap_box:

The OEM Nav I thought is merely a separate box that can plug into our existing radio's. I don't think it's integrated like the other Subaru models with the Clarion units.

This would mean we can buy the Nav box, and plug it in.

I had an Avic that I installed hacked software to remove crappy features, speed up boot time and allow other various features. It was still deathly slow on boot up and when navigating around.

It is still the best aftermarket unit because of its abilities.

The OEM Nav I thought is merely a separate box that can plug into our existing radio's. I don't think it's integrated like the other Subaru models with the Clarion units.

This would mean we can buy the Nav box, and plug it in.

Nope, the Nav is a Futjisu ten while the regular is Clarion. Plus the screens are different sizes on both. Not aplug and play solution

---

Nope, the Nav is a Futjisu ten while the regular is Clarion. Plus the screens are different sizes on both. Not aplug and play solution

I think you are misunderstanding me. You are comparing the Base trim radio and Nav unit I was not. Premium trim comes with the exact same radio unit that Limited w/Nav does. The only thing missing is this: SD Software

On my unit, I can see Navigation options, they are just grayed out.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc86/rfoker/RadioComp_zpsc6usu5d3.jpg~original

So do you have a Map button on the left?

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/heraldextra.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/7/99/799bc60e-7ff2-5291-907a-228cb21feb2b/549dcb83e3ff0.preview-620.jpg

Do you think the screen on the cluster dash will show you the directions?

---

My APPS covers both

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc86/rfoker/Subi/20150915_190040_zpspli8gx3d.jpg~original

and I was thinking of my wife's being grayed out while she's driving.

..and that's a generic 8" tablet screen protector I have used since Day-1.

Also, the Open sofware for my unit is Fujitsu-ten

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc86/rfoker/Subi/20150915_190150_zpshojugkka.jpg~original

Yeah they are different units even though they are both Fujitsu ten. It would not make sense that all that is missing is just the SD card between models. There is a lot more hardware to the nav vs non nav.
---

What wiring are you talking about?

GPS antenna is one of them... IIRC in the thread where all the pics were dumped there is other wires, possibly for can-bus to the gauge display

I may be wrong there but the non-nav unit doesn't have an input for the GPS antenna

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine

Oh yeah GPS, I thought you were talking about something else. Yeah, I did a search a few weeks ago and came up empty handed for pictures of the back of the NAV unit. I did however find pictures of the 7" radio (for sale on Ebay).

Now if we can just find pictures of what the NAV looks like on the backside, we will have a better idea of what wiring would be needed. Interestingly, on the back side of this 7" radio (non-nav) is a blue port.... on VW / Audi, the blue port was always GPS?

The primary thing I'm concerned with is if the gauge display is already integrated with the vehicle, and would show directions if the NAV unit was hooked up.

20830324124_529d5260ef_c.jpg[/url]

Edited by AirBorne1Cav

• 4 months later...

Just picked up the GPS Antenna from Subaru (cost about $60) Part # is 86277AL60A - It's placed above / around the speedometer. The 7" FUJITSU TEN NAV unit (part# 86271AL64A) will be here next week, the plan is to take out the 7" Radio, install the 7" Nav with GPS antenna and hope everything works!

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1557/24030081684_6046a0920f_c.jpg' alt='24030081684_6046a0920f_c.jpg'>Subaru GPS Antenna part# 86277AL60A by AustinB747, on Flickr[/img]

Edited by AirBorne1Cav

Thanks for the helpful posts AirBorne. Just curious, what are you doing with your stock HU? I am tempted to sell mine and get one of the AVIC ones so I can have android auto. Although it seems with the HK system I'm going to have a hell of a time with that :(

Yeah, I'll try to take pictures / video's of the install next week. If this swap works like I hope it will, I would probably sell the stock unit on Ebay, looks like I can fetch anywhere between $300 - $700.

So if the nav requires another GPS is there already a GPS receiver for starlink? I have a 2016

Just picked up the GPS Antenna from Subaru (cost about $60) Part # is 86277AL60A - It's placed above / around the speedometer. The 7" FUJITSU TEN NAV unit (part# 86271AL64A) will be here next week, the plan is to take out the 7" Radio, install the 7" Nav with GPS antenna and hope everything works!

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1557/24030081684_6046a0920f_c.jpg' alt='24030081684_6046a0920f_c.jpg'>Subaru GPS Antenna part# 86277AL60A by AustinB747, on Flickr[/img]

I found that thing while I had my instrument cluster removed to install remote start...I always thought the GPS antenna was on the roof and couldn't figure out what it could be for. Guess I was wrong!

I found that thing while I had my instrument cluster removed to install remote start...I always thought the GPS antenna was on the roof and couldn't figure out what it could be for. Guess I was wrong!

Did you have nav already?

Just picked up the GPS Antenna from Subaru (cost about $60) Part # is 86277AL60A - It's placed above / around the speedometer....

You didn't ask, but here's a few pics of its location, if you wanted to see how it looks, from when I pulled the combo display.

1317476751_GPSLocation.thumb.jpg.58c2bde1e141206dc4c5bc27889ae633.jpg

281142838_GPSLocC.thumb.jpg.a9dc3b127eed9f662b91339046b6b2ed.jpg

1612349982_GPSLocB.thumb.jpg.9867fb32c2142f396f27625475d4ace4.jpg