LegacyGT.com

low "rumble" at speed

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man I've had a similar problem on my '15 3.6 starting at like 4K now at 9K... there's like a constant grinding almost sounds like tire noise but I can feel it through the steering wheel(not really shaking it) and it starts after a decent highway commute above 20 min. I've brought it in twice with those complaints thinking it may a front wheel bearing as those have been so common in Subaru.(my 06 legacy had like 7 wheel bearings changed) There is not a loud typical wheel bearing whine, but sometimes after slowing down off the highway I hear the wind down but not at highway speeds.

They've said both times they really couldn't duplicate it or it wasn't that much.....This shit drives me fackin crazy. I'll have to wait till this thing whines like hell to get it changed it seems....

Man I've had a similar problem on my '15 3.6 starting at like 4K now at 9K... there's like a constant grinding almost sounds like tire noise but I can feel it through the steering wheel(not really shaking it) and it starts after a decent highway commute above 20 min. I've brought it in twice with those complaints thinking it may a front wheel bearing as those have been so common in Subaru.(my 06 legacy had like 7 wheel bearings changed) There is not a loud typical wheel bearing whine, but sometimes after slowing down off the highway I hear the wind down but not at highway speeds.

They've said both times they really couldn't duplicate it or it wasn't that much.....This shit drives me fackin crazy. I'll have to wait till this thing whines like hell to get it changed it seems....

you can write to SoA, Im sure they are aware of that since it appears to be a recurring quality issue that they havent addressed.

did you try an independent mechanic ? mine told me right off the bat my bearing was shot by just driving with me (in another car i had recently).

UPDATE: this is what I got from my service advisor:

new axle went in, car still feels the same. Hes working with tech line has a bunch of test to perform tomorrow(today) I will keep you informed He(mechanic) thinking possibly viscous but no definite yet. (got this message at 10:30PM last night lol)

its almost 5pm here in NY and no update yet.

He(mechanic) thinking possibly viscous but no definite yet.

The 2015/2016 Legacy doesn't use a "viscous" transfer clutch.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

ammcinnis - just got off the phone with my service advisor

1 Subaru ATAC (? whatever that means)

and 3 Toyota atac's mechanics all say its the Viscous coupling ...

As far as I know: For the 2015/2016 Legacys and Outbacks, the only transmission that still uses a viscous transfer clutch is the manual, sold only in Canada (at least for North America). The CVTs (both G1 and G2) use an electrically-controlled, hydraulically-actuated multi-plate transfer clutch.

Sources: 2015 Legacy/Outback Factory Service Manual; 2015 Subaru transmission technical training materials.

There may be another "viscous coupling" they're talking about, but I doubt it.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Good input on this thread. Dropping the car off on Wednesday. Hope it's just bearings and they don't give me the run around. My GPS is also flaking out - no voice guidance, they may have to replace the unit. Keeping fingers crossed. I want not to be disappointed with the car but little things have added up - way to young at 7K miles...

a history of replacing defective bearings thru different generations of subarus is not good ... imo ....

how can i trust they wont go bad again in the near future ?

i wouldnt get crazy and suggest these are regular wear items that couldnt last for at least 100k miles.

Honda, Ford, Chrysler, and probably many others have had large spread wheel bearing issues in the past across multiple models. And that was just a quick internet search, I'm sure a more thorough search would yield a longer list. It's not unusual, it happens, just get them replaced and enjoy your car.

Soooooo text I got from advisor around 2pm 9/18

He has to remove and inspect the viscous then call Subaru back. What a process this is. Stay in the car obviously. You won't have your car back probably till the middle end of next week. I'm sure we will need to replace it but Subaru wants us to remove open and inspect it. That's normal policy and procedure on their end. I guess they want to know what malfunctioned

Soooooo text I got from advisor around 2pm 9/18

He has to remove and inspect the viscous then call Subaru back. What a process this is. Stay in the car obviously. You won't have your car back probably till the middle end of next week. I'm sure we will need to replace it but Subaru wants us to remove open and inspect it. That's normal policy and procedure on their end. I guess they want to know what malfunctioned

Even though it's taking a long time, at least you aren't getting the runaround about the situation and they are taking it seriously. I know I'd rather someone do the proper inspections instead of blow off the concern and have it lead to something more serious down the road.

Archived