LegacyGT.com

low "rumble" at speed

I have just come back from a long road trip up to Vt and Montreal, over 1k miles. Mix of mountain roads, long highways, and some unpaved roads. I noticed driving it today that there was a low rumble, what I first thought to be road noise but different pavement didn't affect it. It starts up at speeds greater than 35mph and remains constant. I flipped it into neutral and the noise was still there. I was wondering if it's already a wheel bearing at only 7K miles on the ODO. The sound doesn't change pitch with speed though. It's almost like an electric motor that's loose on it's mount generating some reverberation. Never encountered anything quite like this on any other cars which include a Forester and an Impreza. There's lots of pebbles in the tire threads and I will work on them tomorrow but I think those wouldn't be it. Ideas would be welcome...

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
spent time cleaning out pebbles from the tires, i didn't really think that was it and it wasn't. i drove around trying to isolate it some more and noticed that it definitely starts at around 35mph. it sounds like an electric motor purring, the pitch does not change with speed. i don't know if it was there before and just got worse. my wife says she can't hear it :-(.

Sounds like the tires need to be rebalanced. Did you hit a huge pot hole?

No, but I did drive around unpaved roads. I am having them rotated and force balanced anyway, so let's see what that does.

Having listened to it at length on the highway, the best way I can describe it is a muted motorboat sound. When I googled, I saw a number of hits referencing the sound the CVT is prone to making. Has anyone else noticed this yet?

Having listened to it at length on the highway, the best way I can describe it is a muted motorboat sound. When I googled, I saw a number of hits referencing the sound the CVT is prone to making. Has anyone else noticed this yet?

I have a 2015 and have had the exact same symptoms. Had to have 1 set of wheel bearings replaced at 5,000 miles and 2 additional at 17,000 miles. Dealer said "must have gotten a bad batch of wheel bearings." Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I will go out on a limb and pretty much guarantee that is what the problem is. One last thing you can do to rule out the CVT might be to get to speed (mine was noticeable above 42 MPH) and then shift into neutral. Engine revved down but noise (and vibration) stayed the same. Had the tech ride with me and he heard it (and felt it) right away.

Same issue here. 2015 Legacy 3.6R Ltd., with just 4K miles on it. Questioned the dealer several times without result. Sound is most intrusive between 30 and 40 mph. The dealer has contacted Subaru engineering to put my complaint on record for future reference. Tire noise, wheel bearings and CVT issues have all been discussed, and every tech in the shop has ridden along with me...

I have had wheel bearing issues on our 06 Forester. It's not anything like that - I have popped it into neutral at speed and the noise was the same. The sound starts at around 30 and there are certain situations when it does get louder. At highway speeds, 65+mph, it got a little more pronounced but seemed less on the way back. Interesting that both of your cars are 3.6's with the higher output motors. I can say that this definitely started after I drove up and down the mountains in Vermont. Maybe the CVT's get stressed?

• 3 weeks later...

Have yet to schedule with the dealership. I realized I have a list of little things they need to address on top of this and I'll need a loaner. They have been slow to respond.

-CVT (suspect) sound - TSB etc

-GPS Malfunction - no voice guidance, keeps losing settings

-Sticking rear seat release

-Loose Backup Camera

With only 7K on the ODO, I'm kinda disappointed in the build quality. The car also feels a lot "looser" than when I first drove it home. Seriously thinking about trading it in.

Read a forum like this and you're going to get a skewed idea about the problems.

This rather informal poll suggests that most visits for warranty work are minor. In the first 3 months, 2/3 don't visit the dealer for warranty.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/number-repair-visits-warranty-work-240169.html?t=240169&highlight=number+visits+warranty

I wonder if I have to put back the old RSB as I have the 19mm in there. They could play games with me and point to that as the culprit!!!

PS. FWIW have 2 other Subies, an 05 Impreza and an 06 Forester, both relatively problem free until 50k, still only standard maintenance items.

I wonder if I have to put back the old RSB as I have the 19mm in there. They could play games with me and point to that as the culprit!!!

PS. FWIW have 2 other Subies, an 05 Impreza and an 06 Forester, both relatively problem free until 50k, still only standard maintenance items.

Dealer could pull crap like that, but a larger rsb would vibrate less if anything and prevent other sway, flex, vibration, etc.

Nah, they would never even notice that.

Archived