LegacyGT.com

low "rumble" at speed

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i believe that one of my wheel bearings is bad. sounds like the rear passenger, hard to tell.

rotational 'whirring' noise starts around 20-25 mph and increases with speed.

do we have shitty bearings in this model or something ?

Thats what warranties are for. It happens, even on new cars.

so whats subaru's stance on warranty for a wheel bearing. cant tell really if its the left or right and can barely tell if its front or back.

would you think the dealer would play the deaf ear card and tell me they dont see a problem ?

you cant really put the car up in the air and figure it out by just spinning each wheel, even with the shifter in neutral.

so whats subaru's stance on warranty for a wheel bearing. cant tell really if its the left or right and can barely tell if its front or back.

would you think the dealer would play the deaf ear card and tell me they dont see a problem ?

you cant really put the car up in the air and figure it out by just spinning each wheel, even with the shifter in neutral.

Why do you think it can't be diagnosed up in the air?

A good mechanic can listen to a bearing and instantly determine

if it is bad. At low speed you may not

hear it with unaided ears but I'll bet if you held a screwdriver to your ear

and placed it in the right spot on the hub you'll

hear that bad bearing. Same way a doctor uses a stethoscope.

if it can be diagnosed with the wheels spun by hand, even better.

just a bit skeptical based on past experiences in general with dealers and warranty claims.

i did get a 1/2 ass response from service when i claimed that my battery died.

they replaced it anyway but worded their response in such a way as to avoid admitting a defect and at the same time hinting that leaving my vehicle unattended for 10 days is not good for that ....

just wondering how they'll respond to this ....

so why would wheel bearings be going bad in new cars like this ? cheap quality ? never had a wheel bearing give on a car thats less than 10 yrs old.

I dropped my car off yesterday and they gave me a forester to drive. def. doesn't make any wheel bearing noise or noises related to something bad in the axle/wheel areas.

so why would wheel bearings be going bad in new cars like this ? cheap quality ?

because it happens. just like sometimes when you buy a peach and cut it open when you get home only to find the inside is infested with maggots. its a new peach, and its bad.

in other words, cheap quality

cheap quality would manifest as everyones wheel bearings going out early. more like, decent quality, but not necessarily the best quality control. Subaru doesn't MAKE the bearings, they purchase them in bulk from a supplier as all manufacturers do. If there is a single piece of foreign material in a bearing (metal shaving, burr, etc) it will go bad in a hurry. I don't think a bearing manufacturer can guarantee that 100% of its bearings will be perfect and last 200k miles.

Zero isn't a happy camper so he is lashing out at the only place he feels that he will be heard. Anger, frustration and disappointment causes his kind of behavior and self fulfilling relief.
Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

quality is an entire process. one defective part is one thing, a whole bunch of the same part defective is a quality issue.

you get what you pay for most times.

dont take things to extremes, i am not whining and bitching like some others like to do. just saying whats coming to mind to converse about this topic.

you can still say what you want and what anyone in here says is, most times, an opinion

i think u just want to pick at someone so you chose me ....

unnecessary ....

No, you come off as a drama queen. Anytime anything is mass produced, you are going to have a certain percentage of failures. You just had bad luck with a poor quality bearing. Subaru doesn't make the bearings, they get them from another manufacturer, and its impossible to quality test each and every one when you are getting batches in the hundreds of thousands every year.

A $30K car that is mass produced at 50,000 units or so a year is going to have bits and pieces that slip through QC/QA from time to time. No reason to retreat to your fainting couch - that's why they have a 3 year 36K bumper to bumper warranty.

No, you come off as a drama queen.

how so ?

i mean, my attitude while writing what i have is on the opposite side of 'drama queen' ....

you just read it the wrong way.

for your take about quality and mass produced parts, i know a lot about that by the way because of my career. i still think there is a quality issue with this if other owners are experiencing the same if it wasn't just an isolated batch of bad parts.

who here mentioned that they had to replace 3 of the 4 bearings on their legacy... ?

bad design could also be a factor

could be anything related to a particular lot such as:

material defects

special processes deviations

incorrect assembly and incorrect assembly materials

contamination

etc.

or it could be a design issue.

my dealer called me and said it is a failed bearing.

They had a batch of bad ones around '06 and maybe some other years too. The seal design was faulty in those cases and water got in an ruined them prematurely. It's better if they go early because if it goes later you get colateral damage from other stuck components.

The tech at the dealership that replaced 3/4 of the bearings in my car called the factory and he told me that they told him that they must have gotten a bad batch of bearings. My 2015 was made at the Indiana plant.

FWIW, I am very satisfied with my 2015. Did a lot of research before my purchase last year. Have not regretted a single mile.

Archived