LegacyGT.com

low "rumble" at speed

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shit happens.

Had a bad rear bearing on 08 legacy at 45K and a bad front bearing on my Tacoma at 75K.

Local shop said bearings have gotten smaller for less drag and better mileage. They are now considered wear items that need replacement more frequently.

Assembled at the plant doesn't mean they sourced the bearings there. Wonder who made them?

Anyway - the 5 year warranty covers them.

And ya - 2005-2006 Subaru extended the warranty to 100,000 miles on some cars for wheel bearing failures. Some owners even brought it in after that point and SOA split the cost.

You'd think in 2015 that they'd have wheel bearings figured out. Well, if it happens, or when it happens, then I'll start whining along with my car.

does the 60k warranty really cover them or are they under the 36k warranty ?

they are part of the drivetrain ....

likelyhood of seeing another one go bad after warranty is finished ? unsure. would suck though because the entire hub assembly gets swapped. shops rarely go to the trouble of yanking and pressing new bearings into housings.

You'd think in 2015 that they'd have wheel bearings figured out. Well, if it happens, or when it happens, then I'll start whining along with my car.

under most circumstances a good wheel bearing is almost bullet proof, meaning it will last at least 100-150k without even a peep.

but in harsher climates and pothole ridden areas its easier to shock them to failure.

regardless, if they are sized and sealed right, as well as assembled right .... theres no concern.

key word there is 'right'. i think it should be fine though, it would take more than 1 inexperienced designer to let a bad design call wind up in a finished product.

All Subarus sold in the US are assembled/made at the Indiana plant.

Not correct. BRZ, Impreza and Forester are made in Japan and shipped here. VINs starting with JF are made in Japan, VINs starting with 4S are US built. AFAIK, only Legacy and Outback are made in the US in Indiana.

does the 60k warranty really cover them or are they under the 36k warranty ?

Don't have my book in front of me -- but here's the list on "Stanley Subaru" dealer page:

What is the Powertrain Limited Warranty?

POWERTRAIN COVERAGE for all models is 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. Subject to the exclusions listed in this warranty, it covers the major powertrain components listed below.

Powertrain Coverage Components

• Engine
  • Engine block and all internal parts
  • Cylinder heads and valve trains
  • Oil pump, oil pan
  • Timing belts or gears and cover
  • Water pump
  • Flywheel
  • Intake and exhaust manifolds
  • Oil seals and gaskets

Transaxle and Differential

• Transaxle case and internal parts
  • Torque converter
  • Electronic transmission control unit
  • Seals and gaskets
  • Axle shafts and constant velocity joints [except boots]*
  • Propeller shaft
  • Wheel bearings

Some car warranties, I believe, may not cover them on front drive vehicles, for the rear wheels. It would be hard to argue they're not part of the drivetrain for an AWD.

i got my car back this evening.

the noise is still there ...

dealer says they replaced the hub assembly on the rear driver side (including bearing).

im not sure whats going on, assuming they checked both axles with proper detection tools ?

doesnt sound like tire noise.

Probably not an axle but could be I suppose, but a bad CV joint usually doesn't make a rumble noise. Is the sound exactly the same intensity and seem to be in the same location when you sit in the passenger's seat and someone else drives?

i dont know for sure.

i know that i dont get vibration while cruising, no vibration when braking either.

perhaps a slight shift of the internal structure of the tires might result in that noise. else it must be something within the axle area thats causing that.

Just had my driver side rear hub and bearing replaced, I have 14k on it. Dealer put it on a lift and diagnosed it. Sounded like excessive road noise in the rear. Just got it back so much quieter now.

Zero7404

That's the complaint I have. A noticeable humming from 20 to 50 mph. Dealer techs say they "can't hear anything" or that it's not loud enough to diagnose. I hear it plainly, even when shifting into N at highway speeds. For me, the sound is often quite intrusive, even with the radio on...

some ppl just have nothing better to do than to get on a forum and amuse themselves with smart-ass replies....

it is obvious, my wife even heard it, it takes a good ear to distinguish from tire noise. also you have to let off the gas to tone down engine noise.

the dealer tech did not do a thorough job in his test drive.

some ppl just have nothing better to do than to get on a forum and amuse themselves with smart-ass replies....

it is obvious, my wife even heard it, it takes a good ear to distinguish from tire noise. also you have to let off the gas to tone down engine noise.

the dealer tech did not do a thorough job in his test drive.

Lighten up, no need to get all defensive, people joke around here:)

Anyway, why not have the technician ride with you and point out to him when you're hearing it? People often miss things if they don't know specifically what they're listening for. It would be easy to pass it off as tire noise since based on what you've said it's not super obvious.

its not quite obvious and driving with the tech is a good idea. but to the person that noticed it and now has a trained ear ... its there.

its not like some mystery sound that shows up only to chosen ppl, like someone eluded to here... to get a good laugh obviously.

i know bad wheel bearings ive heard them before. its odd because i have a 13 ur old bmw that still has original bearings and 132k miles. they're still good.

i will do that with the service advisor on tues. to make sure he hears it and gets it addressed.

i dont normally give negative survey feedback to subaru after service ... so ill let them have another opportunity to fix if it is indeed a defect on subaru's part.

I just had my rear differential replaced, its still making the noise you describe between 20(quietest) -50(louder as you go) and whenever I parallel park or make a U-turn the back wheels kind of lock up I guess and screech(?). Really dreading go back to the dealer.

I just had my rear differential replaced, its still making the noise you describe between 20(quietest) -50(louder as you go) and whenever I parallel park or make a U-turn the back wheels kind of lock up I guess and screech(?). Really dreading go back to the dealer.

that doesn't sound good at all ....

i just came back from a test drive with the supervisor tech over there and he said it might be related to tire noise. recommended tire rotation is every 6k, but i did mine first time @ 15k.

other possibility is another bad wheel bearing on the passenger side, but they did not cite it the first time when they replaced the driver's side wheel bearing. strange.

if it is indeed tire noise, i would be relieved ... because that tells me there's nothing mechanical in the drivetrain causing that. but quite odd that new tires which are driven on for 15k would result in so much wear to cause such road noise as what i'm hearing.

i will know more in a few days.

its funny that the drive shafts on the car are not coated in anything durable. i had a peek under my car and noticed they are rusting. mentioned that to the tech and he said its normal, that they just get a coat of paint on them from the factory or something like that .... wondering what type of deal that is because after 18k miles theres no paint on them ...

makes me wonder

uneven corrosion on a rotating assembly can lead to humming when the object is spinning ... due to an out of balance. but it wouldnt be felt if its very close to the axis of rotation, as is the case with a drive axle.

Archived