LegacyGT.com

Thoughts on alignment?...and Whitetiger's Coilover Hijacking

jasejase

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck getting through to Vorshlag. I called them numerous times over a few weeks to inquire about camber plate availability. The only response I got was through a pm on another forum and the response was essentially "I don't know how long, but it will be a long time".

And as far as I know, they stopped selling and rebuilding ASTs. I wouldn't buy an AST shock these days. They allegedly still have problems and the problems have carried over to Moton, who was bought out by AST in 2011. There's a bunch of failure threads on the BMW forums.

Funny, I got through to Vorshlag on the 1st call at the beginning of last year. they were very help full to me and took the time to explain things to me a lot. Thats too bad about AST. I loved my 4100s, but that was years ago.

I'm pretty sure ASTs have to be sent back to Holland to be rebuilt now, which is one of the reasons Vorshlag stopped carrying them. The turnaround time is 2 months from what I've read.

I would just go with MCS singles. Actually, I would just have a set of Konis built to my spec and throw a set of hyperco springs on them.

I would just go with MCS singles. Actually, I would just have a set of Konis built to my spec and throw a set of hyperco springs on them.

^this. Though, you would be better of doing it with Bilsteins. Konis are known to blow up if you rebuild them for higher forces.

I would love to give racecomp my $ ..anyone know how different the 2010-2014 suspension differs from the 05 stuff? they now have a gtworx bilstein kit for legacy/3.6 r..http://www.racecompengineering.com/index.php/gtworx-bilstein-legacy-gt-3-6r-fixed-perch-oem-fitment-sport-dampers.html if its just a matter of machining off a few mm of metal off the ears i would do it in a heartbeat.. I called em and they said it wouldn't work, but I can't imagine our setups are THAT different..

^this. the most ive seen from a 4th gen in terms of caster is high 6's or low 7's. That's not that much caster really. Like SA said, caster helps with dynamic camber, camber that increases negatively when you turn the wheel. food for cars with McStrut suspension that don't have good camber curves when the suspension is compressed. So the more caster you have, the better.

There are some drawbacks to caster, but they are so small in the 4th gens' case, its not worth worrying about and they only show up under racing scenarios.

Thanks to SA and whitetiger. I will align the car in the next couple weeks and report back. The cool thing about having smartstrings and smartcamber is that I can tweak and play with settings without having to spend $150 every time.

Archived