LegacyGT.com

Thoughts on alignment?...and Whitetiger's Coilover Hijacking

jasejase

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the shop did crap work, take it back and ask for the senior tech to do the wheel balance. Forget the alignment. If you are paying for Michelins, go find an actual alignment shop and get it done right. Seems a shame to spend the money on tires, but not on the alignment which makes the tires last longer.

:iam:

If the shop did crap work, take it back and ask for the senior tech to do the wheel balance. Forget the alignment. If you are paying for Michelins, go find an actual alignment shop and get it done right. Seems a shame to spend the money on tires, but not on the alignment which makes the tires last longer.

:iam:

Yep. the alignment is going to get done elsewhere. They certainly wont be touching that again.

As far as the wheels go - im just about ready to cut my loses, and get the things balanced somewhere else. I don't have the time to go back and forth with them on this crap.

'senior tech' at a small mom and pop shop isn't going to get me much :)

Yep. the alignment is going to get done elsewhere. They certainly wont be touching that again.

As far as the wheels go - im just about ready to cut my loses, and get the things balanced somewhere else. I don't have the time to go back and forth with them on this crap.

'senior tech' at a small mom and pop shop isn't going to get me much :)

true dat. I'd move on. A discount tire shop is usually pretty good. They do enough that their minimum standard is pretty good.

America's tire is my go-to for everything tire. They have never done me wrong and I have never had a bad experience there, in fact, its usually quite stellar. Every time, they put their lead tech in charge of my cars, and if a junior tech touches anything, they watch him like a hawk.

Interesting day. I decided to take it back to the shop that installed it all, just in case I had a bad tire or something like that. I wanted to preserve the warranty.

Turns out, they gave me the wrong alignment print out. I've attached the new one. Much better.

In regards to the wheel shake, they respun all the wheels, and they were all perfectly balanced. So, the consensus is, is that I need hub rings. Unfortunately they didn't have the size that I needed. They mic'd it three times with three different micrometers, to verify the size. 65 to 56.1. I found a place online that sells them. I might even get aluminum ones.

Soooooo, the shop was decent after all.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/04/06/210f18298ac31945dc45cf56ff192cba.jpg

Without hub-rings, you have to tighten the lug-nuts in a star pattern from the start. With hub-rings, you can put the nutz on until snug, then tighten on the star pattern. If you want to save a buck or two, pull each wheel off, then put on, hand tightening as you go keeping the tire evenly centered. It's a pain, but doable. Hub-rings makes putting on the wheels a no-brainer, tho.

Archived