LegacyGT.com

Thoughts on alignment?...and Whitetiger's Coilover Hijacking

jasejase

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's not get crazy. Lol.

You think it's out enough to pay $120 to have it redone? I thought it was close enough. Ct potholes are evident this year, so..... It's not gonna last long

^yes, it should be redone.

FWIW, ive come to realize how important the alignment is to how the car behaves on the street, and of course under autox competition. Having a real enthusiast performance shop do an alignment where they get it within .01 of target numbers is something that cant be beat. I've written off a bunch of places i would have gone now that ive had the real experience.

not sure where you are in CT, or how far you are willing to go, but a lot of the NNJR autox people go to www.Sjfperformance.com. Ill be there this weekend getting my MX-5 corner balanced by a National champion autox'er and then aligned. A 6hr process done by true car nerds and precision fanatics.

I had my wagon done by such a place. I took the day off work to watch them work on it. Took them all day to get everything adjusted, as they wouldn't quit until it 50/50 cross balanced. Not 50.1 but 50.0. So much difference in how the wagon handled.

not sure where you are in CT, or how far you are willing to go, but a lot of the NNJR autox people go to www.Sjfperformance.com. Ill be there this weekend getting my MX-5 corner balanced by a National champion autox'er and then aligned. A 6hr process done by true car nerds and precision fanatics.

that's not gonna happen. There are three good shops within an hour. I just need to free up time to get to them I guess.

I had my wagon done by such a place. I took the day off work to watch them work on it. Took them all day to get everything adjusted, as they wouldn't quit until it 50/50 cross balanced. Not 50.1 but 50.0. So much difference in how the wagon handled.

those places are the best. you find so many new places in the racing community, and then you learn how things should be done.

I talked to a local race shop today. Quoted me 125/hour. Estimated 2-3 hours. Good grief.

EFI charged me $120 2 years ago

That's about right. I paid $500 for a 4 hour job. It took 7 hours to fully complete. I still paid $500.

As opposed to some random person doing your alignment work, you're paying an expert to find out how you expect to drive your car and your typical payload, then put together a suspension "tune" that meets those needs precisely.

Its like paying for an engine tune. A cheap one leads to frustration & #ynasb. A good one leads to happiness and engine longevity.

^this. When i go this weekend the CB guy will basically loosen my entire suspension/control arms to eliminate any binding, then CB the car, then re-tighten everything properly positioned. Then its off to the rack. $450 for this whole process.

Not sure if 500 is worth it for me. Garage queen that sees no track time and our roads look like kosovo

Do it right! (We won't tell the wife) And that's a rather dated reference to mortar compromised asphalt;)

$450-500 is what you guys are paying for a full CB and alignment? That seems a little high to me, now I don't feel so bad about mine at all.

its not high if the results are better than any other shop can give.;)

Not sure what the roads are like in NJ, but CT is horrible. I can't honestly see spending $500 on alignment that may last a few months. UNLESS you track/Auto-x the car and don't really DD it.

This car isn't a DD, but It doesn't get punished that often either, and never tracked.

its not 500 for an alignemnt, its 500 for a CB and alignment from a national champion autoxer.

and FWIW, if you have coil-overs, there is no reason not to do a CB. it wont have to be re-done like alignments unless you start shifting alot of weight around the car.

Archived