LegacyGT.com

Subaru contact says performance Legacy still coming

I'll see if my major contact has any insight on this matter. The 2004 versus 2005 deal would be a bit of an offset, but the JDM has done similar things, so it wouldn't be all too impossible. A present of under your christmas tree, or whatever. ;)

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's these topic which is keeping me on the forum. I still am dreaming about an STi Legacy Wagon as a reasonably priced and RELIABLE Audi S4 Avant. I have decided I can no longer handle quirky (I could use much worse adjectives) German cars. But once you delete German cars from your shopping list, your list becomes way too short. This Subaru has been the only bright spot on my future cars list. Otherwise I think I'll end up with hybrid GS or RL, but I feel too young for those cars yet. :)

The Legacy GT wagon is a reasonably priced and reliable S4 Avant, only at a $15,000 saving. Look at the performance numbers. The S4 Avant will be slightly quicker in U.S. driving, but don't forget that a Legacy GT Spec B (suspension, wheel mods...no power mods) beat an Audi RS6 Avant in a track test. Granted, the track was twisty, but still... Kevin

There still is a huge price advantage over the minimal performance advantage which really isn't worth the cost. The interior might be a bit upgraded too, but not for the huge numbers they're taking for RS6's. Any Subaru dealership should be able to work on a new GT or even the STi, but only 'Elite' Audi dealerships can work on the RS models in addition to Dodge having the same deal with the Neon SRT. I'll try giving my rep a call this aft if I don't hear from her prior too.

I totally agree with the assessment of the Legacy. No other car could match the hi performance Legacy in price if they decide to build one. Even at that mentioned $45K price. I doubt that the price would get up that high, but still. On the other hand, if they decide against a STi Legacy, there are cars at a higher price point that are also good values, but in a different class. I guess I'll be holding on and see how this progresses. I'm sure my wife will be happy that I keep my car for a while.

Personally I highly doubt Subaru will be coming out with a Legacy Sti this year. It just doesn't make much sense. If this was the JDM market then I would agree. The USDM as a whole isn't as quick to jump at the next big thing as the JDM. Also we aren't as tolerant to multiple model trim levels for a single car. I mean come on. First a Legacy Sti then a Legacy STI Spec B, Spec RA etc.... All these models would simply confuse the AVERAGE American consumer. Now I won't say there isn't something brewing in the pot but I believe its more along the lines of a TRUE entry level luxury sedan. I will say they are probably bring the Legacy 3.0R over but will offer all the premium options that won't be available in the 2.5 GT or 2.5i. Things like a 6 cyl. engine, nav. system, HIDs, rear wiper( if not on the 2.5GT) etc. I don't think there will be much of a HP bump either( maybe 10-15HP more)....I think this would be a better route for Subaru for overall sales and new market penetration...hint hint...entry level luxury sport. But hey if they do release an STI version I won't complain...
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

It would probably work well to release a performance package for the Legacy 2.5GT next year about this time. Let the model get in the starlight, then add something new to push the mag writers on the improvements. Furthermore, if we don't get a 3.0R model this year, I think we'll be seeing it by this time next year at the shows. It's essential to pushing that premium image. The big thing at next year's snows should be the 7-PAX XUV for MY06, new Impreza for MY07, new Forester for MY08. Therefore I think a performance pack could handle the car update end decently and the XUV would be taking the show. The more I think about it, a revised model line just for Wagon/Sedan of the 2.5i, 2.5GT, 3.0R w/ Premium Package as a package, not model, particularly if a coupe is thrown into the mix, which I hope it will be. Sales potential. Oh well, now that I've sorta gone OT, I'll revert back to my cave. :P

Funny how waflowers, who started the rumor and promised more info, disappeared on us. That pretty much says it all. My prediction is that Subaru will wait and see if the GT is a hit, and if it is we'll see an STI in fall 2005 or spring 2006. And the STI will only come in sedan, which rules it out for me. No performance package will be offered for the GT, I say, because the GT already [i] is [/i] the legacy performance upgrade. The next logical step up, if it occurs, will be the STI. At least that what makes sense to me...

IIRC WAFlowers said he was going to be real busy for the next several weeks with work and was going to missing attempting to be a PW. I have heard rumors from other sources so it isn't entirely out of the question, but I think they'd go for the 1-2 magazine punch, 2 years in a row. ;)

• 1 month later...
[quote name='gurpman']Funny how waflowers, who started the rumor and promised more info, disappeared on us. That pretty much says it all.[/quote] Actually it doesn't say anything at all, except that my life has become crazily busy and will remain that way for some time. I guess it is way past time for me to explain, as well as to give you the updated information I have. First: my contact informs me that the details I was previously given are still accurate -- that a super Legacy (nicknamed "The Big Boy") is still planned for release. In fact, Subaru has it essentially ready to go and could announce it any time they choose! The latest 2nd hand information on when that will be now reports an announcement next January. :( I'm as disappointed as anyone, and it makes my decision on what to buy and when even more difficult. Second, regarding my prolonged absence from this forum (and NASIOC too): I'm VP of Software and one of 3 partners at a small (23 employee) company. We haven't been rolling in cash, but we've had some success. Then we suddenly landed a number of very large contracts, all of which have timelines that collide in the first 6 months of this year. These contracts will likely see us racking up 150% growth or more this year!!! :o And there will be continued growth and spinoffs from them, as they are forcing a rapid (and overdue) diversification of our product lines. At the same time we are overloaded we are facing a technology change. Some components we have been relying on are being phased out by the manufacturers, requiring us to adopt new technology that isn't supported by the operating system we have been using. So on top of everything else we are porting to a new OS platform and getting familiar with some new hardware. YIKES! So I'm faced with far too much work, not enough people, and cash flow problems. Eventually when we ship these new systems we'll be rich (or as close to it as I've been yet) but until they ship we've got development and part costs that rapidly add up. I've got 4 programmers -- counting myself -- to do the work that I wish I had twice that many to do. Of course, if we had enough people I wouldn't have the office space to put them in anyway. So at the end of January I started doing 11 hours a day, 6 days a week. In mid-February the pace picked up even more! :o I did have 2 consultants for 2 weeks to help us over a crunch (porting 110,000 lines of code to a new operating system). We may get one or both back in some capacity before all is said and done. So please try to understand if I disappear again for weeks at a time. I'm just trying to make sure that I keep a roof over the head of my wife and children, and over the heads of all my employees and their children as well. I'm very cognizant that my responsibilities extend far beyond my own comfort, and I take those responsibilities seriously. Gurpman, if you could spend a day in my shoes I think you'd retract your ignorant comment. I'll say no more about it.

I see this thing just like what is going on with the WRX and the STi. One or two years of Legacy GT. (like legacy 2005) and then a 2006 Legacy GT STi edition. Like an 02 WRX and here we have the 04 STi. :( Me personally I am ready to put my money on a black STi and be done with it. :) Aftermarket leather seats can be had and aftermarket sunroof can be had as well. I took a STi testdrive yesterday and even my wife driving it did not think of it as so hard core as people describe it. :) Cheers Nick

Archived