LegacyGT.com

if i wanted to buy a built engine..

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is why I don't visit this place much... I'm looking for a built short block that I can put some heads on and my accessories and put in my car. Why is this so hard to comprehend?

Actually there are several places to find short blocks. However, a "built" short block means different things to different people as you have read. Perhaps you could enlighten us as to your plans and you might get better answers.

You have your own heads? Are they from your current motor which died due to engine/ringland/turbo problems? Or you bought a car missing an engine and you need a new engine?

I'd skip that whole putting it together step and just get this - http://www.importimageracing.com/cosworth-high-performance-long-block-assembly-3-for-2004-2014-sti-2002-2014-wrx.html . This long block (already has heads) will be more than enough for anything you want to do, even build a Ken Block rally car.

If you still need more answers, search for rebuild. You'll find the Heurberger shortblock is the typical starting point. Then you buy the gasket kit. Then you buy a bunch of other parts & custom tools. Then, once it's togther, you find a place to tune it. If you're lucky, they give you a break-in tune. If not, you get to rebuild it again.

Buy a long block and skip that mess, then get one of the highly rated tuners on the forums to give you a break-in tune. Once done with that, start logging and getting it tuned to fit your needs.

Lol, I'm far from being a noob. mods are as follows, vf52, 850's, 5in exhaust, 265 pump, comp stage 2 clutch, fast MS fmic. Tuned on e85 at 23psi. You guys did a Hell of a job on you're own acting and looking like dbags. For the guys that helped, thanks! I really appreciate it and I finally have something to base on...

If you would have told us that in the first post we could have answered differently.

You have no idea how many noobies come on here and ask the same basic question and don't have a clue what it really takes.

I think we kept asking for more info in our own way.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have 5 inch exhaust from the downpipe back, that I fabb'd myself... It was not really that hard when you have the right tools and a semi truck parts depo local to you. it even has a muffler on the end of it..

So you blew your engine for some other reason? 5 inch is too big. You need some backpressure to make everything work. However, with a 5 inch pipe, you might as well run a pipe from the DP out the side of the car by the front wheel.

Honestly, I think he could run a downpipe out the side of his car and it would be fine, just have to tune for it. The guy wasn't the most up front about things, too bad, but don't just start raggin' on him for no logical reason.

Congrats for being proactive, not many of us had that window to prepare. If you haven't already seeing it's an 05, CHECK THE BANJO BOLT FILTERS! That's how I ended up with my very own build thread quest.

I take it you already have a budget marked out to reflect 600+ crank/wheels esc.... Will this 600+ be a daily driven car or recreational mischief?

The car is not blown up, my wife just left the driveway with it. (its icy out)

The car only has 72k miles on it and I'm trying to plan ahead. I want to pull one out and drop a built one in with a 6766 on it and make 600+ hp

72k and #YNANSB? This guys' got my number!

I got 101k out of my stock motor. 30k out of my SB. The number of SB replacements that have gone up in smoke are far greater than successes if you read the threads. Denial will set you free.

You went 30k miles in 15 min!?!? I wish my wagon was that fast!! :lol:

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

I have 47,000 miles on my ej257. I guess I better get ready to replace it. May of this year will 3 years that it's been in there.

But what do I know...

I'd have about 10,000 more miles if I could keep a tranny in it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived