LegacyGT.com

Finally popped the motor, ugh...

Thanks Gator. I don't actually know if it's an oil or a water issue.

It first happened 100% stock (stage 1 tune) going over from the mountains from to Mammoth area (up above Yosemite). 95+ degrees, low gears, high RPMs. Probably old style pump.

Timing belt changed + water pump (probably new style). Still happened. Stage one tune. One track day. End of the day (last run), I had to slow down a lot, it was just too hot and my car wasn't dumping heat fast enough. Never hit the red. Wasn't monitoring temps with anything but the OEM gauge. As soon as I slowed down temps dropped quickly.

I added a Koyo rad in the hopes that I would have issues anymore. Lost compression in #4 at some point. Rebuilt with new style (probably) water pump and 11mm oil pump. I added a KillerBee oil pan/pickup/baffle. Figured the extra oil + radiator there would be no way it gets hot.

Still does. But, luckily this only happens at high RPMS, high ambient temps, with AC on full and me pushing the car.

I'll re-look at your thread to see if I can track down identifying if it is the oil or the water that gets hot first.

@Schralp, I added a Koyo rad too (did it myself), it's a decent amount bigger than the stock radiator and holds 2ish gallons of coolant.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes. And less cavitation at high RPMs. At least that's the theory. There's some data backing that up here and on NASIOC.

Reason I went looking for it and wouldn't buy until I knew that's the one I was getting.

OB2.5XT one other thought..."coolant" is not really coolant. The higher % of "coolant" in your radiator to water, the worse the radiator performs in the heat. 100% water performs significantly better than 50/50 mix. The best mix is 99.9% water and a little Water Wetter or Purple Ice. The WW or Purple Ice acts as a lubricant, corrosion inhibitor, and helps the water transfer heat to the aluminum radiator.

You just have to remember to flush your radiator in the fall and put anti-freeze "coolant" in for the winter! WW and PI will not act as an Anti-Freeze.

That would be by far the cheapest solution to your problem. I run them in my race car and only put anti-freeze in it for winter hibernation.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

• 2 months later...
Distilled water is cheap. I'm still on the fence if after the rebuild will put the "Subaru Conditioner" in it. Putting stop leak in a new motor seems a little strange.

Side tracking this thread a lot. But is there a better coolant (anti-freeze) that doesn't have the conditioner in it?

After some discussion with a friend we came to the conclusion to stay with Subaru recommendation. Reason why is OEM get's millions of dollars in research to ensure longevity. So in this case I will be using the Subaru coolant mixed 50/50 with distilled water and conditioner.

Conditioner is a separate little bottle of brown sludge... stopleak.

As for using the subaru coolant and the stop leak (conditioner) it's recommended.

Mechanical failure prevention is the goal.

I ran the coolant from new. Never had a full blown HG failure until I completed a system flush... Weeks later full blown HG pukage.

The conditioner can only do it's job if there is a leak to begin with. So what you experienced may have been a case of the bandaid finally coming off, leading to failure. Or maybe it was a coincidence. IMO, it's not going to help (only hinder) a 100% healthy motor. Not many of us are at 100%, though :lol:
LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Archived