LegacyGT.com

Cusco F/R Swaybar review...

inthedeck

I know it would be pretty difficult to get a car up on ramps in reverse but it can be done.

Don't bother with reversing up the ramps....

Just punch it up the ramps in "D" - and don't let off even when you clear the front wheels.

Ignore any harsh noises from the undercarriage or any jarring thumps.

Remember, power goes from wheels that slip to wheels that grip, let the Symmetical AWD keep pushing your rear wheels, they'll get you onto the ramp, back there, soon enough.

:lol:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No you shouldn't have to take the tire off. It was just easier to take the bar out, that way....for me at least. others may claim otherwise, but I guess there's multiple ways to handle this. For me, I just used the tire off routine to get the bar out.

EDIT: By the way...REMEMBER how you took the old bar out...so that you can visualize putting the new bar back in! Trust me, it will help a lot!

inthedeck did you jack up the rear and put it on jackstands to do the rear or did you use ramps?

I know it would be pretty difficult to get a car up on ramps in reverse but it can be done. Since I know another member said they did the front on ramps I ust wondered if you could do the rear on ramps as well

That's the main reason why I'm considering having it professionally installed. I don't have ramps or a lift, or a torque wrench for that matter. The Auto place that would do it is about a 1 min drive from my work. I could drop it off on my lunch and pick it up right after work.....piece of cake. I doubt it will take them more than 2 hours, and their labor rate is $60 per hr, pretty standard really. So far, I've done all the work myself on my legacy, but in this case it's kinda different because I don't have a lift.

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

You really won't need a lift to do this...I mean, I used a jack, and lifted one side of the car. Done. Same for the front. Done.

Oh well, all I can say, is when it's installed, I am sure that all of you will notice the differences to the setup, vs. stock. It's totally a nice upgrade, and given the driving style that I have, these are very comfortable...and compliant. Even driving over the GWB isn't that much of an issue...as GREAT as those roads are...hehe!

Anyway, good luck, no matter which way the install happens.

I might have another option. I have a friend who is a mechanic who might be able to help me out with this. He has a lift and a torque wrench. We could probably get it done in a couple of hours together. If not, I might still consider using the jack method, it doesn't seem like it would be too bad. Either way, I have to wait until next week, that is when my Sway Bars come in. There was a back order out of Cusco to get them...

Stock endlinks here. Some have used the cusco ones...others perrin (I have heard those cause clunking issues, with the perrin bars). Not sure whether Whiteline offers them...but I didn't see any need to switch from stock. I have had the bars in for abour 500 miles, or so, and have not had any issues that I have noticed.

Don't have any springs/coilovers, etc. May change out, at the end of the stockers' life, though.

Well I am going to try the reversing onto ramp technique. If I can't clear the exhaust then I am going to jack up both sides and and put the entire rear in the air on jack stands.

I can't freakin wait to get my whitelines on. I need to figure out which hole is the "stiffest" setting on the adj bars. Then on they go.

what kind of endlinks is everyone using? also anyone riding on lowered springs? pinks?

I'm just going to stick with the stock endlinks. I'm still up in the air about springs right now, I really don't want to lower the car at all. I like the stock ride height just fine. But sway bars are a must with the Legacy, after reading this review yesterday, I can't wait to get them on :D

Well I am going to try the reversing onto ramp technique. If I can't clear the exhaust then I am going to jack up both sides and and put the entire rear in the air on jack stands.

i had no problem reversing the car onto a ramp to install the rear sway bar. dunno where you are in nj, but let me know if you need a hand.

I live in Whitehouse Station near like Branchburg and Bridgewater.

I might hook them up Sunday if they are both here by then. Hopefully they will be.

I think mmm def might swing down since he just ordered f/r cuscos and may want to install them himself but usually always pays to have his installs done.

I never do haha. I will take 3 hours for a 1 hour job to save the $ and learn.

If you are close you are always welcome...

• 1 month later...
I haven't noticed much more 'oversteer' per se. If anything, you have to be a little more careful with steering input, but then again, I have a sedan, and looks like you have a wagon. I do feel that things are nice and tight, and the car stays well balanced. Living in NY, this isn't unbearable for me...and I like both bars very much. Rotaries (for you Mass. people) are much nicer, and curves that I used to not feel good about, are now a thing of the past...I like the stable feeling I get, when taking those same turns (every day, on my way to work). But, that's my view, and others may see it differently.

I am curious about Keefe's comment earlier about the swaybars being a preference. I have put larger sway bars on cars in the past and it makes the world of a difference with how the car rotates and makes the car more neutral. Im not trying to say he is wrong, Im just wanting to know if anybody (or him) can elaborate on that.

Thanks

The ride is definitely harsher. Let me also say I also have pink springs which was installed a month or two before the sways. At the time I had the pinks, the ride was not all that much harsher than stock but once the swaybars went in, I could tell the difference immediately.

Hope this helps.

hi, inthedeck, is there any significant effect on the ride quality after installing the swaybar? I am sure the handling/cornering ability improves, how about the original comfy ride?

Yes, definately not a 'quiet' ride anymore. If one side hits a bump, you feel it on the other side, as well...a result of the added stiffness of the bars. The rear one by itself is not bad...once you go installing the front, it's a new ballgame...and definately not soft anymore.

I like it though, and even living here in the 'burbs of NYC, I can't complain too much...just have to be a bit more cautious than my already cautious self...so as to avoid large bumps/potholes, etc.

Bumps/Potholes. On normal roads, without ruts/bumps etc. the car is good...even over expansion joints...not too bad. On a nicely paved road...cabin is still nice and quiet...just like it was. Actually, there isn't much more 'noise' per se...just a little more harshness, as per what I can tell.

Archived