LegacyGT.com

DIY: 15'+ DRL Disable

... how about rigging up halo's in the fogs as DRLS by using the unplugged DRL harness for power.

And what do you plan to do for high beams at night ... as required by law? (No, you can't legally use fog lights as high beams.)

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen at least 6 vehicles within the last month, equipped with DRLs, driving at dusk and even night without their headlights OR parking lights on. So, I believe DRLs are dangerous in that manner.

Yes, having no tail lights and assuming your headlights are "on" at night, when they're not, is dangerous. I would also blame electroluminescent gauges that fool some people, and no automatic headlights. It's all a bad combination.

THIS.:spin::spin:

I was on US30 today at like 7 PM doing 70 and came up on a guy doing 50 with no lights on. With my bright a$$ HIDs I could see him fine way out in the distance but for the sake of safety of others I got up close to him and flashed my lights a couple times. Waited, flashed again. Realizing he's an idiot and probably has no clue wtf is going on I jump in the left lane, match his speed, turn on my dome light (so he can see me thru my dark tint) and sit there twisting my wrist in a light-turning on motion, occasionally flashing my high beams to highlight the fact I'm referring to lights. He even looked over, though with a dazed idiot glare, probably thinking I'm the idiot. After an excessive amount of time wasted on this hopeless cause I gunned it and continued on home at my preferred rate of speed.

This is one of those times I wish I had one of those scrolly letter signs in my back window so I could hit a button and have it say "You think I'm the idiot? Ha. Turn your lights on you moron." or something of that nature.:lol::lol::lol:

I'm all for DRLs but most certainly against the dimmed high beam ordeal most manufacturers use. LED accent lights that aren't bright enough to make grandpa think his lights are on at night are a much better option. I wish Subaru would just put bright LEDs in the c-light for DRL and dim them down for parking light mode.

Disabling them though is not ideal unless you're too incompetent to turn your lights on when you should, or if you have non-dimming LED high beams that could blind oncoming traffic during the day.

Moral of the story: people are idiots, American driver's education sucks, people are idiots, and did I mention people are idiots?

Ok end of rant.:lol::p

• 1 month later...
no one has tried disabling the drl's and running the fogs with the parking lights yet? i read all 8 pages. on my forester i just tapped the positive wire from the fogs to the positive of the parking. pretty much the same thing here?

• 7 months later...
I got the best shots I could. I can try again if you can't tell what there is. But as you can see, there is no other plug behind the big grey one, and there is no other big grey plug under the headlight housing. I did have the bumper off last night to install Philips 12825WLEDX1 DRL's and saw the metal ribbed resistor, but I'm not finding any other plugs around the headlights.

20161123_185558.thumb.jpg.95da26332c0af99c79f96090b3c3058e.jpg

20161123_185706.thumb.jpg.4180c5264839631aec84e0959ce470d0.jpg

20161123_190235.thumb.jpg.72ce6733b4b60581fd5e5c399c8d0fe3.jpg

I found it. It was lower down like in the the pic you posted. Luckily I could get it unplugged without taking the bumper back off, but it was really tight. Just can't get the connections wrapped up, but it's in a pretty good protected area from water.

sub.jpg.177a38112c70b81e69717799aeb643d1.jpg

• 3 months later...

I just want to confirm unplugging disabled the DRL for me too, quick fix and looks so much better without them.

Id like to run the fogs with just the parking LED lights, but not finding an easy way. I found an article previous but it was tapping into some wires, but cant find it now.

On my 2014 Nissan Frontier I was able to use a fuse tap to do it, article here:

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f23/fog-light-pass-2991/

I just want to confirm unplugging disabled the DRL for me too, quick fix and looks so much better without them.

Id like to run the fogs with just the parking LED lights, but not finding an easy way. I found an article previous but it was tapping into some wires, but cant find it now.

On my 2014 Nissan Frontier I was able to use a fuse tap to do it, article here:

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f23/fog-light-pass-2991/

Click the link in my signature that says "Fog as DRL" for a solution:cool:

Basically it does what the name implies, makes the fog lights your daytime running lights. So instead of having the high beam run with parking lights, the fogs are on instead.

This pic shows what it looks like:

7C9187DE-756D-4E58-A76A-E20DA3344DAB.thumb.jpg.62137f81051d9ba7442c9c8242b3e3ec.jpg

• 5 months later...
Click the link in my signature that says "Fog as DRL" for a solution:cool:

Basically it does what the name implies, makes the fog lights your daytime running lights. So instead of having the high beam run with parking lights, the fogs are on instead.

This pic shows what it looks like:

Andrew, are you still making the harnesses to sell?

• 1 month later...

I have a 2013 Subaru Legacy 3.6 R Limited and it also has that relay around the same area but it can't be accessed through the top, you would have to go from the bottom, remove about five clips from the trim and then just disconnect, it would be near the washer fluid reservoir. Also what I noticed when I disconnected that relay, when I high beam it would also turn on my low beams.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

Made the change to the 1st post about the Subispeed replacement LED is a stupid idea.

I thought I removed it a while back, I did a 7440 conversion to 7443 tap the other wire to the 194 park light to get the DRL.

It's a quick easy less than 30minutes trick versus the Fog Light mod.

16' Legacy Mods: 55w HID + XB35 5500k, LEDS upgrades, XB Type T Fog, 20mm SB.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

Made the change to the 1st post about the Subispeed replacement LED is a stupid idea.

I thought I removed it a while back, I did a 7440 conversion to 7443 tap the other wire to the 194 park light to get the DRL.

It's a quick easy less than 30minutes trick versus the Fog Light mod.

im2c0ol, can you point me in the right direction for what you did, some pics or instructions, etc?

Thanks.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
Done. But with my fat hands it took more like 7 minutes and a couple of scrapes. :)

How did you manage to get it off? I tried pulling but no luck. Someone mentioned about pressing but didn't see anything that needs pressing. What am I missing?

I just did this. Disconnect the white/light Grey connector and below it there is a dark grey/black connector that you have to disconnect to disable the DRL. High beams will still work. Press down with left hand(left side of connector ) and get a flat head to pry right side while pulling with your left hand and it will come out. Not easy with big hands lol...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was successfully disable mine today!

First time Subaru owner, and I hate the 3800k high beam DRL running on low voltage halogen color ruining the beauty new C LED DRL however it's not really bright and visible when the sun still out.

Tools:

your hand

time: 3minutes

It's located on the driver side right under the headlight.

15229049571_e9193b594c_z.jpg

14879571756_0ac709881a_c.jpg

Remove the HL main plug to gain access

14715969018_8a66769034_c.jpg

Carefully press and remove the plug.

14715967468_cc448949ce_c.jpg

You're done!

14879583756_e2541db096_c.jpg

12/28/2017 Update

This mod is a great combination of the 7440 signal to 7443 switchback LED I did back in Jan 2016 but never get time to write a DIY.

Here's the result

What I used in the youtube video;

https://www.amazon.com/Socket-Brake-Signal-Light-Harness/dp/B00DRK5M0I/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1471723509&sr=8-7&keywords=7443+adaptor

7443 Switchback LED recommend to get them from TRS, Diode Dynamic or VLEDS. I used ACME 7443 $25 ones in the video was brighter than the VLEDS I had.

You'll need to use a knife to trim the 7443 socket to fit in the 7440 socket, wasn't that hard.

Just tap one the amber wire to the signal, with a resistor.

DIY Thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/7440-7443-switchback-led-vs-v3-triton-switchbacks-drl-255402.html?t=255402&highlight=7443

How does this unplug? it looks like a ceramic piece with the wires going through it. Do you remove the whole box which appears to be bolted in?

How does this unplug? it looks like a ceramic piece with the wires going through it. Do you remove the whole box which appears to be bolted in?

Remove the gray plug on the drivers side that provides power to the headlight. Below it, (likely zip tied to a cross brace) will be a small gray/black connector that will be hard to get to. If you look with a flashlight, you’ll see that the design is easily unplugged by depressing on the plug with a flat blade screwdriver and wiggling/pulling it out. Be careful not to apply too much force at once or you may break part of the plastic (like I did lol).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...