LegacyGT.com

DIY: 15'+ DRL Disable

did you ever get an answer on this? Any way to leave the switch in "Auto" and get the C LED to come on?

I don't get how this works either. I pulled the plug but the C LED lights don't come on when the lights are switched to Auto. The C LED lights only come on when the lights are switched on or the parking lights are switched on. Before pulling the plug, the C LED lights never came on with the DRL. Am I missing something?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The C-Led only comes on with the low beam on if in auto mode. But it'll comes on if you put in park/city light mode.

16' Legacy Mods: 55w HID + XB35 5500k, LEDS upgrades, XB Type T Fog, 20mm SB.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

The C-Led only comes on with the low beam on if in auto mode. But it'll comes on if you put in park/city light mode.

I just ordered the WRX LIMITED / 2015 STI DRL HARNESS FOR BOOMERANG (C-LIGHT) from SUBISPEED - this version is for the LED C-LIGHT and from what I can see should work the same on the Legacy.

I just ordered the WRX LIMITED / 2015 STI DRL HARNESS FOR BOOMERANG (C-LIGHT) from SUBISPEED - this version is for the LED C-LIGHT and from what I can see should work the same on the Legacy.

I don't believe that'll work but I guess we shall see. Prolightz offers something like this however the WRX/STI DRL harness has 2 wires where as the Legacy has 3.

Look forward to seeing what you find.

Follow me on Instagram @CT2015Legacy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you ordered these then you've wasted your self some $$. It doesn't work. You should follow my thread I had the entire headlight separate so I know...

https://www.subispeed.com/2015-subaru-wrx/subispeed-drl-harness-for-boomerang-c-light-2015-wrx-base-premium#.VRrrAPnF-VM

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

If you ordered these then you've wasted your self some $$. It doesn't work. You should follow my thread I had the entire headlight separate so I know...

https://www.subispeed.com/2015-subaru-wrx/subispeed-drl-harness-for-boomerang-c-light-2015-wrx-base-premium#.VRrrAPnF-VM

I would love to read what you wrote about it. Can you refer me to your link. The subispeed.com link you posted is for the base & premium WRX but they now have a different one for the WRX LIMITED & STI which has the LED C-LIGHT similar to ours (taps into the pins on the light harness rather than replacing the LED like the origional harness does).

• 2 weeks later...

This is the one I ordered - http://www.subispeed.com/2015-subaru-sti/lighting/high-beams-drls/subispeed-drl-harness-for-boomerang-c-light-2015-wrx-limited-2015-sti#.VS2Qe13F-Qk - and it does work, but there are a few differences. It took my about 30 minutes to figure out all the details and get it working. [details here]

Edited by gotwww

• 2 months later...
I was successfully disable mine today!

First time Subaru owner, and I hate the 3800k high beam DRL running on low voltage halogen color ruining the beauty new C LED DRL however it's not really bright and visible when the sun still out.

Tools:

your hand

time: 3minutes

It's located on the driver side right under the headlight.

15229049571_e9193b594c_z.jpg

14879571756_0ac709881a_c.jpg

Remove the HL main plug to gain access

14715969018_8a66769034_c.jpg

Carefully press and remove the plug.

14715967468_cc448949ce_c.jpg

You're done!

14879583756_e2541db096_c.jpg

Better yet! you can now swap those bulbs out with these OLM HP LED High Beam / DRL Bulbs - 2015 WRX / 2015 STI

Install video:

Read more: http://www.subispeed.com/2015-subaru-wrx/lighting/olm-hp-led-high-beam-drl-bulbs-2015-wrx-2015-sti-4643.html#.VIZwXTHF_fI#ixzz3LMxiLqSp

http://www.subispeed.com/2015-subaru-wrx/lighting/olm-hp-led-high-beam-drl-bulbs-2015-wrx-2015-sti-4643.html#.VIZwXTHF_fI

I wish this had worked for me. I pulled that specific plug and it disabled the entire driver side headlight.

I removed the first one to gain access to the second, then fiddled with the second one for about 5 minutes to get it unplugged. Once unplugged, I turned the car on and the entire driver side headlight was non functional.

I removed the first one to gain access to the second, then fiddled with the second one for about 5 minutes to get it unplugged. Once unplugged, I turned the car on and the entire driver side headlight was non functional.

I have to ask, according to your steps, did you plug/reattach the first plug before starting your car?

I have to ask, according to your steps, did you plug/reattach the first plug before starting your car?

Umm... Maybe not, now that I think about it. Oops. I will reattempt, thank you! LOL

Edited by SubieN8
Spelling

I wonder if disabling the DRLs would be frowned upon in the insurance industry... If I disable mine and I get into an accident, they find the DRLs disabled, would that cause an issue... ?

I wonder if disabling the DRLs would be frowned upon in the insurance industry... If I disable mine and I get into an accident, they find the DRLs disabled, would that cause an issue... ?

If they determined that it could have helped the situation then yes, not for pay out but for retaining you as a customer They would basically drop you and back charge you for the savings they gave you for that safety feature.

You could call them up and state you no longer have DRL if you are really worried about it. It's probably a difference of $6/mo or something.

I disabled mine. Don't really care either way.

I've diabled all of my prior GM model ABS brakes because they were overly sensitive for my aggressive behavior but never got into a major accident for them to verify.

You would have to get into a fatal or near fatal accident for them to check for that type of stuff.

And if it was a severe enough accident, you can always claim that the impact or force knocked it loose or out and that you don't even know what a headlight clip is or what DRL is!? :dm:

:lol: Giggity

• 4 months later...
Just went out and looked at our new Outback 3.6R. I found the relay and plug in front of the battery. I just need to get a small screwdriver to un-clip the HL connector from its bracket so I can disconnect it and then reach down and un-do the DRL.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 1 month later...
DRL connect as requested:

16062184936_37586f8b6b_b.jpgIMG_2608 by im2c0ol, on Flickr

16086065941_e38927f429_z.jpgIMG_2614 by im2c0ol, on Flickr

This is how I leave mine disconnect, put a blue painter tape on to keep it from falling out, this way you don't get crap built up in the connectors.

15468303413_db7846fd27_z.jpgIMG_2620 by im2c0ol, on Flickr

measurement came out on both green/blue wire with put in gears.

16087267662_a8b21c82b8_z.jpgIMG_2617 by im2c0ol, on Flickr

there's no load detected when in park, sorta strange that both green/blue is hot when in gear, not sure which wire the resistor box cut the load down.

Anyone know where I can find harness that would have plugs/sockets that matches with the connection to the DRL?

My DRL resolution!

7443 switch back, these ACME 800lm led has a little delay. The vleds 500lm doesnt delay and are brighter. I might try DD next.

Edited by im2c0ol

My DRL resolution!

7443 switch back, these ACME 800lm led has a little delay. The vleds 500lm doesnt delay and are brighter. I might try DD next.

Oh now I know what you mean.

Do you need and harness and what your setting at the switxh?

The same way you operate the C Led.

I don't ever use automode, it a bit lagging for me. So i turn it on and off when its needed. I leave the switch on city light, with the 7443 bulb adaptor you'll need a few crimps and dremel the 7443 bulb holder to fit in the 7440 housing.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/27/636ffc401beb9dd0c7cb8ccb95b28bc6.jpg

Edited by im2c0ol

• 1 month later...
Not sure if anyone has thought of this, but how about rigging up halo's in the fogs as DRLS by using the unplugged DRL harness for power. I would imagine they would easily make enough light to run as DRLs, and the power would be sufficient as the harnness has no problem powering H11s.

I've only read a couple of pages of this thread so forgive me if the answer is in here somewhere but why disconnect the DRLs? I saw the OP complain about color but is there more? They seem like a nice feature to me.

A forum dedicated to my last car also had numerous DIY threads on disabling the DRLs and also being able to use the fogs with the high beams, which I can understand. I never understood why everyone disabled the DRLs.