LegacyGT.com

Perrin TMIC Coupler (Throttle Body Hose)

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at Bryan's (racer-x) yesterday to install the TMIC, chargepipe, and coupler. Perrin's coupler was actually a little too long for me. Also tried it with his own coupler and trimmed it a bit and it was still not quite right. What worked the best in the end was actually the OEM coupler (-without those end pieces). Length was just right, both mounting holes lined up. What was the issue that you guys were experiencing? :confused:

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s253/blklgt05/E_zpsbde2d043.jpg

I thought the AVO one is just the same TMIC as the 4th gen LGT version, they just added a plate for you to block the BPV opening. Seems like an unnecessary leak hazard to me...

...Not if you use that location for your BPV. ;)

Bigger core. It was designed for the 14 FXT, 5th Gen GT and new 15 WRX.

Intercooler upgrade is definitely a must. Just wondering if i should go with racerx or avo. Guess there needs to be a guinea pig for fitment and power gains... It's just the price I'm not ok with. Have any wrx or fxt guys bought it yet? And has anyone had major issues with avo products before?

It's hard to tell without comparing the core dimensions and testing the flow characteristics of each. The end tanks are significantly different in design. You would have to dyno and tune a single car with one of each back to back to get any real world comparative numbers and I don't see anyone doing that to try to chose the one that provides a few more horses or pound feet. If you are in the market, just pic the one that fits your budget and you like better.

It's hard to tell without comparing the core dimensions and testing the flow characteristics of each. The end tanks are significantly different in design. You would have to dyno and tune a single car with one of each back to back to get any real world comparative numbers and I don't see anyone doing that to try to chose the one that provides a few more horses or pound feet. If you are in the market, just pic the one that fits your budget and you like better.

As you pointed out, the endtanks are quite a bit different. IIRC, the overall dimensions of the core are about the same between the two units (3" thick, same size rectangle). Seems like if and when the point comes that any noticeable difference shows up between them, the time to upgrade to a FMIC has arrived.

^^Can't wait to see this!!! Don't forget to get a tune.

Of course, and I'll post some pics.

I did do a size comparison before I bought and I think the AVO core was slightly (negligibly) bigger (like less than 5%). Also, if I remember correctly, I think the yet to be released GS TMIC core was about 20% larger.

The cores of the AVO & RacerX TMIC are also quite different. For example, the AVO appears to have 14 runners (for lack of the proper terminology) while the RacerX has 12. Further, they probably have different fin density, etc. Frankly, I suspect these factors are more important than core size, but I really have no idea which one is better.

Further, I sincerely doubt that there will be any legitimate test to determine which of the 3 intercoolers is the "best," and of course, every situation is different. It does bother me that no aftermarket company appears to apply anything close to OEM style-testing on their coolers, but, I do understand that wind tunnels and infrared cameras ain't cheap, man, and the aftermarket ain't the market (i.e., to afford such testing/validation).

Developing a legitimate test to determine which is best wouldn't be overly difficult in terms of the concept, but finding someone with the necessary equipment to perform it might be. The characteristics to be evaluated are pressure drop from inlet to outlet and the amount of heat removed. I would guess based on the product offerings that AVO has that they probably have some of these capabilities, but for the 1800 (roughly) 5th generation GT's that are out there, there isn't a lot of incentive to spend big development dollars or perform testing to support why their product is superior.

^^ You forgot that they developed it with cross platform fitment to 14 FXT and 15 WRX in mind. Im sure they tested it in some way. They are going to have the likes of Perrin, GrimmSpeed and others to compete with.

but finding someone with the necessary equipment to perform it might be.

Bingo. I have a good friend who has been designing coolers (e.g., intercoolers, radiators, oil coolers, etc.) for an OEM supplier for 15 years. The cost of testing a single cooler (to be sold in mass to an OEM) is probably comparable to the combined profit from AVO/RacerX/GS TMICs.

I do appreciate that GS appears to be doing more testing/engineering than most, but I think it pales in comparison to what OEMs and OEM suppliers do. That being said, I bought an AVO (mostly because it was my birthday and I'm a sucka for sales).

Archived