LegacyGT.com

Joe's Stage 3 build

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So there's a lot going on here and it probably qualifies as stage 3 v1.2. I ended up with quite the shopping list to add to the first build

-TGV deletes

-Stromung turbo-back

-ARP head stud kit

-Group N motor mounts

-Venair BPV hose

-Comp Clutch 2100

-Perrin short shift adapter and bushings

-Kartboy rear shifter bushing

I definitely want to thank the vendors for the help

Cryotune Performance

Heuberger Subaru

Import Image Racing

Infamous Performance and Tuning

TH Motorsports

I would recommend any of these guys! Great products, prices, and service from each and every one. There's a few more goodies I want but one day at a time.

Still waiting on the heads from the shop. Thursday looks like the day parts start going back on. I cant wait :)

How can you get top feeds to work with the MY05 engine? Curious because I'd like to get on a 16g and top feeds are less expensive and more common.

Injector Dynamics has a fuel rail kit with the injectors in order to convert them over. I think Perrin makes top feed rails as well. I am able to run my side feed TGV's this way. There's no way to run top feeds with the stock fuel rails as far as I know. I also bought the Injector Dynamics parallel feed line system which made routing the fuel lines a breeze. You could save a few $$ by plumbing it yourself but it made up for it with time and ease of install.

Just a check here, did you clean all the ground connections and or make new ground wires for the heads to chassis ?

How is the coolant crossover tube ?

Make sure the deck surface on the block is flat.

I'm sure your removing both banjo filters.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Making 1 new ground connection. There was a little rust on the cross over tube but I sanded and painted it with high temp paint.

The deck is flat, luckily the block was never overheated. And yes both banjo filters are removed.

The heads are supposed to be coming back from the machine shop today so I am pretty jacked. Got my master gasket set in the mail yesterday. I never thought I would be so happy to see gaskets! :)

For the chance of a valve cover leak, I'd replace the half moons.

The old copper crush washers are crushed. Someone said they heated them with a torch and re-used them. What's the new one's cost vs the chance of one leaking...

It's your labor...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• 2 weeks later...

So I will update this with some pics if I ever get it running again. Got the engine back in and wired up but can't get the ECU to talk. ERR HC keeps popping up on the dash. I have checked both of the grounds on the heads and on the starter. No luck. Going over all the connections now in hopes I find the culprit. The ECU worked fine when I powered it down.

I also hear a loud buzzing behind the glovebox when I turn the key on. It buzzes for a few seconds then stops. Please Help!!! The frustration is on the rise.

And my Accessport won't power on through the OBDII port with the key on so I can't get any codes off of the car.

There are alos ECU grounds by the back of the driver side head, Did you wire bursh them ?

Did you re-plug in the big gray connector ?

Thanks Max! At first I was like "what do you mean did I check them?" I've been in the engine bay moving, replacing, loosening, and then tightening back up ground after ground. One connector after another until finally... A loose ground bolt on the back of the TGV bracket!!! Hallelujah!

Now I want to punch myself in the face for the days lost tracking this down. I remember it now, when I was pulling the motor I started to undo the ground strap and then I thought why don't I just take the whole bracket off? Which I did but alas never tightened the bolt and never thought another thing of it. Then when I was goin back over things I looked at it and thought, I never touched it why would it be loose?

Oh well, one more headache down. Should get her fired up tonight then!

The Leggy is up and running with about 100 miles on the "rebuild." So far so good. It's been a long road just to get to this point. Nothing was arriving on time and parts were taking twice as long to get back as planned. I was beginning to think it was doomed to be a part out that never ran. Well I never thought that, but the wife started to lose faith!

I have a clip of the new exhaust here. Mufflers hang low, it was on an outback previously but I am having it moved up this weekend. Cold start on a chilly day btw, and I think there may be a small leak by the Magnaflow resonator.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRl3ZlMGBfU]05 Subaru Legacy GT Stromung exhaust clip - YouTube[/ame]

Well it’s been about 500 miles since the top end refresh and it’s about time for some updates. It has been a crazy, long, frustrating road to get this far, but given the choice I would travel it again. Like I mentioned in the first post it all started with a vf40 on its way out. It blew up into a full Stage 3 build and then right into a rebuild. I most likely had a burned valve from the day I purchased the car but I didn’t get any CEL until after starting to tune with higher power levels. The process has certainly put a strain on the marriage and the finances so it really needs to run for a bit before another catastrophic failure lol. Had I not just purchased all the other stage 3 goodies, I would have went the shortblock route as outlined by Mr. Tris and Max Capacity (as well as many others). It all came down to timing.

If I could do it again I would enlist more help. Aside from the machine shop service, I completed the work on my own. It’s not a route I would recommend. As a result I wasn’t able to get as many pics of the build as I would like and I know people on this forum believe if there aren’t any pics then it didn’t happen. I assure you, it happened. If all your parts are lined up and ready to go this could all be accomplished in a few long days. My heads were out at the machine shop for over a week and a half and parts were getting delayed. Some even shipped with the wrong parts and I was beginning to think my Subaru is cursed to never run again.

The site vendors all came through in a big way with great customer service! I also wanna thank Holla for driving up from Milwaukee and delivering the Stromung exhaust. It all came together well and tuning with Cryotune is almost completed. The LGT is ridiculous now and I am one happy customer!

Here’s a few thoughts from some of the products purchased

Harbor Freight- I picked up and engine hoist and stand for $160. That’s a steal as far as I’m concerned. They aren’t the greatest, but I will hopefully only need them once in a blue moon. They got the job done, but I did have to climb in the engine bay and lift the engine by hand the last 3” into the mounting holes because the boom was just a hair short.

Perrin Short Shift Adapter/ bushing combo- I really like this mod. Having a measure of adjustability is great and install was a breeze. Had I not had the vehicle torn down already install may have been tougher, but my experience was good. Shifting is much shorter now and feels very positive. I would purchase this again.

Comp Clutch 2100- I bought this for its great holding power. I am using the lightweight flywheel that is supplied with the kit as well. The clutch pedal only feels slightly stiffer than stock. I can start from a stop without needing a lot more throttle. I find it just takes a bit more careful modulation to be smooth from a stop but it’s easy to adjust to. There is some chatter but it is going away. I am still in the “break in” period so it’s tough to be definitive until it settles in. The LWFW does have its drawbacks, but in my experience it’s not as bad as all the reviews say. Yes it’s loud on deceleration and starting from a dead stop is tougher. The quick throttle response is welcome, though. I live in a small rural town and I don’t see any stop-n-go traffic. If stop-n-go were the norm, this flywheel would suck!

1908151124_2014-10-1519_33_45.jpg.0748720077a9b56fccff76b31c1d7967.jpg

1869899789_2014-11-1007_06_33.png.9a882772ca5527e3b0bfca112b796616.png

1043266916_2014-11-1007_45_09.thumb.jpg.abb9bc711e513a6c9212573590e559ac.jpg

378749487_2014-11-1007_46_42.jpg.9a4d8ea6dc39754a99f1fb3933df3bc8.jpg

• 1 month later...

So the machine shop decked the head replaced valves with a fresh dress job?

You didn't get into a new short block rebuild?

I had to have all the exhaust valves replaced. Should have replaced all of them at this point. I get the price point, time suck and effort push to get it done!

Bummed we didn't get to see you pass the corvette.

• 3 weeks later...

So I have 3 kids and their birthdays all fall in November/December so the spending on the LGT had to take a back seat. With the holidays over I finally got a chance to take care of some odds and ends.

Got my car back from the shop after they "adjusted" my exhaust. It was on an Outback prior to my ownership. I figured they could move some hangers and viola.... so they had the car for a full day and I got it back and it's like they moved it up 1 inch. I just have to shake my head. They only charged $50, but they really didn't do anything.

800913024_2015-01-2514_27_04.png.63ef0d79e5031a6c2e52139515f0dd7e.png

289394406_2015-01-2514_28_12.png.a6f255694fe9681623b3dad75b92faa1.png

Archived