LegacyGT.com

Underpannel chat. Beatrush vs GTSPEC

I have owned my 05 OBXT for about a year now, and it did not come with an underpannel. My car has been in and out of the shop more times than I can remember, and it's almost to where it needs to be. I'd like to get an underpanel cover for the extra protection, obviously.

Now, here are links to the two I am looking at:

Beatrush:

http://www.autocityimports.com//0509-subaru-legacy-gt-beatrush-aluminum-underpanel-p-19553.html

GTSPEC:

http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-1025/GTSPEC-Subaru-Legacy-GT/Detail

They are both made of aluminum, but have some obvious differences aside from price. I like the fact that the GTSPEC covers the oil filter, but I like the venting provided by the Beatrush. However my main concern is fitment. Anyone with either one of these two, please chime in as there are no reviews on either site.

Thanks in advance!

• Moderators

Well, they both have venting--not sure why you like the beatrush venting over the gtspec...?

Also looks liek the beatrush is 2mm thick, GTspec is 3mm thick. I have the GTspec waiting to go on and I have to say that I wouldn't really want to go with anything thinner and it's plenty lightweight so I'm not at all worried about install / removal. I can't speak to fitment yet since I haven't put it on, sorry.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

@BarManBean

The reason I like the Beatrush venting is because the vents are close to the front where the radiator is, plus they are slightly bigger vents. Thanks for pointing out the thickness, I forgot to add that in the OP.

Please post back after you have installed the GTSPEC.

@covertrussian

Very true. That's actually something I overlooked.

Just fyi, I would verify that the GTSpec is in stock. I remember when I was looking for an underpanel/skidplate and it was OOS everywhere. I must've emailed 10-15 fairly popular vendors (including Infamous), but none had stock. Maybe the inventory has been updated since then. Went with Primitive - could not be happier.

@idiot4hire

Would this be the one you have installed?

http://www.writerguy.com/primitive/images/img-skid/2005+%20obxt%20skid_1.JPG

Looks interesting. But doesn't look like it offers anything in regards to vents. Not sure how much of a difference that would make or not. But the pricing seems to be pretty fair. I also see they offer a rear skid plate.

I should have also mentioned in my OP that this is my DD and as much as I would LOVE to turn my wagon into a sleeper, I already have my project car (2003 SVT Focus). Again, I'm looking for added protection and some insight to what people are running with and if they have any fitment issues. Thanks for all the info so far!

Ive not had any cooling issues and i have left my car on for a long time staging at autox in the summer time. What a lot people with the primitive plate do is bolt it over the plastic undertry.

What sold me was at the time rallitek skidplates cost 100 dollars to ship and the primitive was around $20. Primitive offers rear dif protectors and trans protectors as well. Alrhough they are over kill if your just DD'n it

@scoobyscoodle

I like the overall design myself. While the pricing is a bit more, I think it could be the better option as it has an oil filter cover that is removable. I believe that will be the one I go with once I get the cash for it.

@idiot4hire

Yea the rear plates do seem pretty interesting, but as you mentioned, I agree that they would be a bit over kill for a DD. But who knows, maybe somewhere down the road (no pun intended) I might decide to go for the rear plates.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
I need a skid plate. Any recommendations at this point?

If you find a GTSpec, immediately contact me, because they are impossible to find. Primitive, Rallitek and Beatrush are the only options, with the Beatrush most likely shipping from Japan (read: expensive shipping).

If you find a GTSpec, immediately contact me, because they are impossible to find. Primitive, Rallitek and Beatrush are the only options, with the Beatrush most likely shipping from Japan (read: expensive shipping).

http://www.cipmotorsports.com/gtspliwealun1.html

http://www.importpartspro.com/gtsper1353.html

These are listed in stock. You can always contact them to check.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

I'm leaning towards rallytek, it's a quarter inch thick and I don't think if Gt spec is going to holdup to parking abuse on frozen snow. Right now rallytek has free shipping on orders over $50.00.

I've always wanted the GT spec, I'm concerned with ground clearance with the rallytek because I have epic springs with koni yellow shocks.

I have the primitive on my OBXT, with the extended option to ensure fitment with my KB headers and pan. I like it. Got it sprayed with trunk bed liner on the cheap for some extra durability/weight :/ lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

Bumping a somewhat older thread. My 05 OBXT had a great condition GT Spec skid plate. Clutch disk spring retainer popped last week, limped the car home by shifting w/o the clutch, then had it towed to the tuner/shop for a clutch replacement.

The towing guy was showing his colleage how to adjust the height of the front of the car on the towing rig and lowered it a couple inches. I noticed the tow rig's front cross member was then very close to the GT Spec skid plate, expressed concern over the reduced clearance, but was told it would be fine.

I should've insisted he raise the car back to its original height. The shop's job start incoming pics clearly show damage to the rear of the skid plate, right where the tow rig's cross member was located. I've emailed the tow company to see if they'll remedy the issue, but like others have noted, the GT Spec unit isn't that readily available.

https://myshopassist.com/Assets/Uploads/job-139565/a81b0ac3-81a4-4ef9-851c-681d9f3fa891.JPG

https://myshopassist.com/Assets/Uploads/job-139565/40ee537e-5418-4c41-8667-4f0c324c2635.jpeg

The only place I've found that has it listed so far, is CIP Motorsports (per Battelready's post above), and I'm not even sure if they have it in stock.

Does anyone know of other vendors that still carry/stock the GT Spec skid plate? I'll end up trying to 'fix' the current one if the towing company refuses to compensate for the damage, but think I'd prefer to replace it if I can. I like the large side panels of the GT Spec as compared to some of the other options.

Is it worth getting a new one. Damage dosnt look bad, id have them comp you the money for it but just restraighten the old one.

Knowing me that's most likely exactly what I'd do. I feel pretty dumb not having taken a pic of the situation or insisting they raise the car back up a bit bc it was completely avoidable. It was in really really good shape before and even though it's really not a major thing (and no one looks under there anyway), it's gonna wig out my OCD :)

Archived