LegacyGT.com

Magnusonsubie's 05 LGT Wagon thread.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cross post from the wdydt thread. Picked up a 6 speed for it today. It's a start to a full swap but it was free so not complaining that it is just the trans. Saved it from going into the scrap bin. Now I just gotta figure out which way I want to go with it. Got it from a shop that replaced it on an 09 spec B that drove into the shop. Talking to the guys it sounds like the center diff was making noise as well as having some bearing noise. It's not seized as I can turn the output shaft and see the front inners spin and it all seems to spin somewhat freely but I figure the diff should be replaced anyway.

1) leave assembled and ship to ppg as is to have them disassemble and reassemble with new bearings and center diff and probably a Cusco lsd front diff

2) disassemble myself, learn more about all the little inner workings of the trans, put a new center diff in and maybe a Cusco lsd front and put it all back together and hope I did it right.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Definitely tackle this yourself. Judging by your car you're not lacking some skills so with the help of the forum and maybe a friend you should have no problem.

Reasons for:

Gain knowledge

Save money

Feeling of accomplishment

Save money twice*

Reasons against:

A slight chance you screw it up

4 to 1 for it... do it! Or you could just give me the free tranny ;)

Rebuilding a transmissions (especially ones with unknown problems) are not exactly like slapping in some bolt on go fast/look bits. But obviously not impossible for the laymen. Could be an expensive experience.

http://samsonas.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Subaru-Impreza-STI-6-speed-dogbox-kit.jpg

Rebuilding a transmissions (especially ones with unknown problems) are not exactly like slapping in some bolt on go fast/look bits. But obviously not impossible for the laymen. Could be an expensive experience.

http://samsonas.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Subaru-Impreza-STI-6-speed-dogbox-kit.jpg

Exactly my thoughts. I know I have the skills and can make myself have the patience to do it. But there's so many little pieces in transmissions that that's where I get a little worried.

I leave on Friday for 3 months aboard a ship and I've got plenty of service manual downloaded so maybe I'll do some reading and see what kind of stuff there is for rebuilding transmissions.

2005 Vader Wagon

Exactly my thoughts. I know I have the skills and can make myself have the patience to do it. But there's so many little pieces in transmissions that that's where I get a little worried.

I leave on Friday for 3 months aboard a ship and I've got plenty of service manual downloaded so maybe I'll do some reading and see what kind of stuff there is for rebuilding transmissions.

If I had the time and money, I'd invest in the proper measurement/assembly tools, read up, and do it on my own. I'd probably try and put in a limited slip front too(if I could afford; they're not cheap obviously), then a cusco 1.5 way in the rear. Because racewagon. :spin:

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that rebuilding mechanical things properly requires a little bit of comprehension, and a lot of attention. If you're like me. That means measure 7 times, assemble once.

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

From what I'd researched in the past - hopefully my memory serves me well, a lot of shops won't touch sti 6 speeds. 5 speeds - no problem, but the 6's are tricky to get right. Dig deep with your research before jumping in - check how many measurement tools, special factory tools etc etc you need, then add the cost of the bearings and seals you'll replace.

I support the learning and saving that goes along with DIY 95% of the time (this time included), but make sure you know exactly what you're getting into.

honestly, at least where i'm at in life, i only DIY something that i can use the experience on later. that's one reason why i don't do bodywork. spend the time, money and effort to get my experience level up, only to never need/do it again. also, my time is worth tons of $$$.

i'd ship it off. it was free, so at most, you'll get a sweet "new" transmission for used price.

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

• 1 month later...
I'm actually in Japan right now docked at our last port before we head back across the ocean. I haven't had any time to go parts looking in the 2 weeks we've been jumping around ports because we have been in and out so quickly. I did find out that there's the possibility that I can ship stuff to the ports we are coming to and the ships agent can pick it up to give to the ship. I need to talk with the captain to see what all goes into that but that may be an option for the next time around I'm over here.

2005 Vader Wagon

• 5 weeks later...

Coming up on Japan again in the next couple weeks. This time on the plus side the schedule shows 10 days in Yokohama which should give me time to explore and maybe find some places to buy parts. In the mean time I decided I needed to write down everything I've ordered so I remember what to look for and who to get in touch with when I get back.

Japan parts

-DAMD Wheel

-Aluminum pedal covers

-OEM Footwell lighting

Legacybt

-Ohlins

Friend back home

-Prodrive P1 with snow tires

Currently working on a deal to get a full set of 07 spec b seats and door cards and have talked with kalien32 about potentially trading him for his 09 spec b seats based on which looks better in my car if the blue alcantara is too much.

2005 Vader Wagon

I'm still contemplating a set of 08 spec B seats. I like the blue and have blue accents in my JDM headlight, grampus markers, and DAMD D shaped wheel so I think the blue alcantara might be a bit much.

Plus they are a year or 2 older and likely in worse condition.

Gunnar, check out Up-Garage. It should be a fairly ubiquitous chain, meaning multiple locations. It's like an Autozone for aftermarket stuff.

Also get me neat 2012 Civic SI stuff. I'll paypal you.

I could suck start a snow blower.

Gunnar, check out Up-Garage. It should be a fairly ubiquitous chain, meaning multiple locations. It's like an Autozone for aftermarket stuff.

I thought you weren't modding?

no, but Japan only like... shift knob or valve stem caps or some dumb shit might be fun. Or handling stuff that work on the 12-15.

I'm looking for a 2015 to replace the 2012. That one will get suspension mods and an intake and stereo stuff.

I could suck start a snow blower.

Coming up on Japan again in the next couple weeks. This time on the plus side the schedule shows 10 days in Yokohama which should give me time to explore and maybe find some places to buy parts. In the mean time I decided I needed to write down everything I've ordered so I remember what to look for and who to get in touch with when I get back.

Japan parts

-DAMD Wheel

-Aluminum pedal covers

-OEM Footwell lighting

Legacybt

-Ohlins

Friend back home

-Prodrive P1 with snow tires

Currently working on a deal to get a full set of 07 spec b seats and door cards and have talked with kalien32 about potentially trading him for his 09 spec b seats based on which looks better in my car if the blue alcantara is too much.

What dates will you be there? I'll be in Yokohama the 29th of December through the 9th of January.

I'll have to keep an eye out for an up-garage. I did a search and couldn't find any near where we docked but they may not all come up when I'd searched.

Any possibility of bringing bumpers or hoods back from Japan?

Probably not. I started thinking I wanted to try to bring back a bumper cover for my car but the more I thought about it when I get off in Tacoma then I'll be walking around with a bumper and trying to get a cab or something to the train station big stuff just makes it difficult.

On the OEM footwell lighting, did you get both front and back?

I believe it is front and back. It is the kit listed on Japan parts. I only saw one kit and it didn't say anything about being front only or front and rear.

What dates will you be there? I'll be in Yokohama the 29th of December through the 9th of January.

I believe we get in on the 31st and then I think we leave on the 8th. I already know I more than likely will only have time off the ship in the evenings as we are pulling a piston on the main engine while there as well as changing out several exhaust valves all of which are full day projects with all hands needed for getting it done.

2005 Vader Wagon

I'm still contemplating a set of 08 spec B seats. I like the blue and have blue accents in my JDM headlight, grampus markers, and DAMD D shaped wheel so I think the blue alcantara might be a bit much.

Plus they are a year or 2 older and likely in worse condition.

I'm kinda in the same boat. The 07 seats I'm trying to work a deal on have one small imperfection on the drivers seat base but I'm worried that it might just be too much blue. I may end up doing the 09 seats kalien has and redo the stitching to be blue to match the DAMD wheel I ordered.

2005 Vader Wagon